Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2021, 09:45 PM   #43

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDown View Post
If you use your batteries so infrequently that it would take 25 years to pay you back, you wouldn't switch to lithium.

Lithium is way better for those that are on battery a lot.

-B
Agreed....Lithium batteries are for people that actually use their RVs and not the ones that park them in the garage and polish for fun
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2021, 01:09 AM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you want quick charging, deeper discharging than Lithium is right for you.

I use FC.
ArtJoyce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 05:42 AM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
I don’t Boondock a lot an switched why no maintenance—-
Old 09-25-2021, 07:56 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
I easily get 8-12 years from flooded cell batteries. The secret is using 2 oz of mineral oil per cell. And then my lackadaisical service routine isn't so important to battery life since the water stays in the cells. Doesn't hurt to have a 'smart' converter so they're not overcharged like in the old days.

On a whim I added 2 oz mineral oil to new batteries in 11/2019. My float charge is 13.3V. I've had to add DI water every 4 months because the liquid level was down to the plates.
When these batteries require replacement I will not fall for the mineral oil rumor again.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 09:15 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biljol View Post
I don’t Boondock a lot an switched why no maintenance—-
Are you saying you switched to lithium because they don't require maintenance? AGM does not require maintenance either.

I have 8 AGM batteries in my motorhome. As long as they run the coach overnight, that is good enough for me.

The ORV TT that I have on order will have 4 (maybe more) Battle Born Batteries in it (plus solar panels). I will use the ORV in a completely different manner, I plan to use this RV for dispersed camping with it. In this case, the lithium batteries will be much better.

-B
Full time RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon - Harley FLTCR - 2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS - Also considering a Polaris General 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT
BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 10:26 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDown View Post
Are you saying you switched to lithium because they don't require maintenance? AGM does not require maintenance either.

-B
I am not very familiar with AGM, so I started looking for info.

They seem better than FLA, with a lower self-discharge rate and a somewhat faster charge rate. Lifeline still recommends recharging to 100% on a regular basis, and there is still a three-stage charging profile to deal with.

When I was using FLA my biggest headache was dragging the things home to put on a battery tender, and trying to keep up the right kind of charging profile during the summer. AGM batteries probably would avoid removing the batteries from the trailer, which would be a huge improvement.
Old 09-25-2021, 10:31 PM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Yes because the lithium where cheaper than the agm for the same useable AH and are a better product.

I do use agm for my starting battery’s because it’s a better use case, lithium is not the answer there.

And the comparison I made earlier I have found a better analogy

FLA = walking
AGM = wagon
Lithium = car

With lithium there are sub compact and super cars I did a standard car not a super car(battle Bourne).
Old 09-26-2021, 05:37 AM   #50

Jut bought a cheap Chinese LiFePo4 power station on Amazon. 299wh for only $200. Have tested it, and it runs my cpap for 3 nights with humidifier on before needing a charge. Charges to 100% in 6 hrs on ac. So my boondocking days without generator has now been extended by a full day. And it has other uses at home. Can’t do that with an AGM.
Old 09-26-2021, 06:37 AM   #51

If that's the GOLABS unit, I have two of them and they work great.
Old 09-26-2021, 07:46 AM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
WOW all I can say is WOW. A lot of opinions here.

Mine is “ what works for you, works for you”

I don’t need to argue “what works for me”
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:50 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
On a whim I added 2 oz mineral oil to new batteries in 11/2019. My float charge is 13.3V. I've had to add DI water every 4 months because the liquid level was down to the plates.
When these batteries require replacement I will not fall for the mineral oil rumor again.
Thank you for your experience. I researched it a little and thought about doing it. But your experience has proven a known fact. “just because you read it on the Internet doesn’t mean it’s true”
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 02:44 PM   #54

Horsemanure! Been using golf cart batteries forever. Easy to take care of and cheap. I usually get six to seven years. The only bad thing is weight. When lithium batteries become reasonable I will probably convert. Until then each to their own.
buntina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 02:50 PM   #55

I guess that those who seemed to take offence at my thread did not notice that there was a question mark in the title. In other words, it was a question, NOT an absolute statement.

There are a large number of RV owners that a happy with the 2 batteries that came with their RV. I am. If you want more storage capacity, so be it.

I mainly boondock. We use our motorhome about 4 months per year. I have a 5500W generator and solar panels. I have 2 golf cart batteries from Costco. My batteries are usually fully charged by end of day. Faster charging would be nice but you have to have to capacity to do that. Next time I replace them, I'll be buying golf cart batteries. When the price of lithium comes down, I'll reconsider. My thoughts:

1. Little maintenance, I check water level every couple of months but almost never have to add water. I don't use any protective equipment other than gloves and glasses. I'm not splashing acid and they are several of feet from my face. I am near sighted so always have glasses on. Safety glasses are a must whenever working on almost anything.

2. I almost never run the batteries under 1/2 charge.

3. My class A came with golf cart batteries and a smart charger that never over charges. My solar panel also do not over charge.

4. NO battery should be drained completely dead. Lithium's life will be shortened by doing so (although not a severely as lead acid). Therefore, comparing cost in AH by using full capacity of lithium to 1/2 of lead acid is not valid.

5. To replace 2 golf cart batteries with lithium, 2 lithium should be purchased. The lithium will have more usable capacity but, if you don't need the extra capacity, it's a moot point.

6. Two golf cart batteries from Costco total $240. Some pay much more but I don't see a need to. Two lithium cost between $732 and $1598. That means that to replace 2 lead acid golf cart batteries that already meet your needs with lithium would cost between 3 and 6.7 time more. Plus the charging systems may have to upgraded at substantial cost. For example, the engine driven alternator regulator, the solar regulator and the charger that came with the RV. What is the cost of a new battery maintenance system system? Check before installing lithium.

7. Almost no one will built a lithium bank from individual cells. Those that have and are happy with the results well done!

8. If I want toast or need the microwave oven, I have a 5500 Watt generator. That's what it's for. I usually never run the generator for more than 20 minutes a day. Some days not at all.

9. Are most that are considering lithium just looking to replace their current 2 batteries? Do they believe that one 100AH lithium is equivalent to 2 golf cart batteries for capacity and that they will get 25 years out of the lithium? They will get more usable capacity but see points 5, 6 and 10. Maybe it is worth it if you only have room for 2 batteries and need more capacity.

10. Lithium lasts longed, but how long will you own the RV? I doubt many will take the batteries with them when they sell.

11. Weight. If you have a class C or A RV or a larger TT or 5th, you are pulling 10,000 to 30,000 pounds around. Will the saving a 50, 100 or even 200 pounds matter? Sometime a good crap in an outhouse will save more weight.

12. Voltage drop. Never bothered me. The inverter works just fine.

13. I watch movies when I want and do the other things that one does when boon docking. Maybe I'm just energy efficient.

14. If you are building a very large capacity battery bank, lithium is worth looking at. But sellers and other advocates that wave the lithium flag say "lithium is lower cost in the long run" and then talk about 100% capacity and a 25 year life. My thought is that they are not worth it for those that are happy with their current lead acid batteries. Just because I have an expensive RV doesn't mean that I don't consider value.
smeg99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 03:11 PM   #56

A senior master electrician that works on solar with inverters as his specialty told me "Go buy 4 Costco 6V golf cart batteries!" There was zero question in his mind on that direction!
josephf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, lithium