Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2021, 06:54 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadist View Post
The Chinese are flooding the market with Lithium batteries right now. I can get 5000Wh for $1300, it weighs 1/3 of lead acid and needs no maintenance.
That's a good price per their capacity. Where can you get them? What kind of warranty? I usually TRY to get a 3 year warranty on the L/A but that is getting harder to find. Do you have a website?
NorCal Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2021, 07:11 PM   #72

Oops. Duplicate post.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:14 PM   #73

Quote:
The Chinese are flooding the market with Lithium batteries right now. I can get 5000Wh for $1300, it weighs 1/3 of lead acid and needs no maintenance.
I have a German buddy I correspond with fairly regularly. He travels between China and Berlin a lot with an affiliate engineering agency. He says in the next 5 years you will see China engineering firms and companies dominate the industry with everything from grid balancing battery installations to ship, truck and EV battery products. And that’s just the beginning. There is a whole generation of engineers being groomed to deal with power production and storage products. My guess is you’ll see lots more good deals on LFP type batteries out there in the years to come. His area of expertise is micro grids and solar storage integration. Interesting stuff. I hope to get a factory tour next fall when we head to Germany.

Cheers.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:18 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Philo View Post
We purchased a 2006 Monaco Executive , and it has a home refer. The unit came with 8 batteries ,, would it be worth changing to four Lithium batteries
we live full time in the Motorhome, and have property in AZ and in ID. we belong to CC and RPI and a lifetime member of Passport America. so don't do any Boondocking at all. Any Ideas here ? thanks
We have friends who drive from point A to B, hooking up to shore power at both places. His batteries were over ten years old and I doubt he ever checked them. The batteries were probably operating at 10-20% of original capacity but since he plugged in every night and the generator or alternator were maintaining them when they drove they were never a problem. Then one day they were stranded at a rest area when they couldn't restart the Diesel.

His is a ten to twenty year old Beaver and I don't know their electrical systems but our 2017 Tiffin will let you use the coach batteries to start the engine if the chassis batteries are dead. Apparently his doesn't. So the moral is: unless you boondock where you REALLY rely on the batteries you can "probably" get away for years with weak, or subpar, batteries - until that day.
NorCal Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 08:23 PM   #75

I am in a different position. I get 5-year old AGM's from server rooms for free and can typically get another 5 years out of them before getting another used batch. I have external storage for these batteries on my truck and enclosed trailer which both have sufficient weight and storage capacity. The battery banks are charged by truck engine, solar, generator or hookups.

If I were to convert to a lithium based battery, my free supply would would no longer negate acquisition cost, I would need to upgrade charging equipment and I would have to make room for the batteries inside heated storage.
Old 09-26-2021, 09:00 PM   #76

Fleetwood Owners Club
I paid $1600 for 800AH of LiFePo4 with BMS (10KWh). Yes it was a lot of money and no I will not recoup my costs, probably ever. I don't care. I did it because LiFePo4 batteries are badass and I can now run electrical devices in my RV with impunity, and I never have to ask my SO to turn out a light, or hurry up and close the refrigerator door. Generators are not an option for me, I value peace and quiet.

Fight me! (as my daughters would say). :-)
Uniblab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 09:08 PM   #77

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The latest big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeg99 View Post
Lithium batteries cost 5 times+ more than golf cart batteries from Costco. I get 5 years from golf cart batteries with minimum maintenance. No special charging required - just plug in, generator, drive and solar panels. All my requirements are covered.

To break even (not counting the fact that the extra lithium $$ can be invested) I'd have to have the same motorhome for 25 years.That will not happen. I will not even alive in 25 years.

So why buy lithium? Is it just the latest "big deal"?

Yes but they might get lower in price someday. I have a lot of respect for the good old lead acid batteries. Also bought one of those "desulfator" battery chargers and it actually restored an old dead battery I had laying around. They make them for installation in RVs too. Looking at one at rvupgrades that installs with my battery bank next. Maybe they can extend the life of them?
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Batte...v.htm?CartID=9
phil8656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:25 AM   #78

Not just the batteries, don't think that my magnum energy charger will properly charge the lithium.
bluemoontwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 07:05 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by MingusPirate View Post
An interesting thought you might consider is AutoZone batteries. We bought two "Double size" 12 v batteries which takes us to 4 equivalents. Seems like we never lose power.
You will have to find in the store someone who will understand what you want and what size and figure it out from there.
We have been happy as our batteries are still going strong. Also, we don't mind the weight loss. They are heavier, but not as heavy as 4 batteries.
Sounded interesting. Went to Auto Zone online. No such animal as "Double size". They did have one with 450 min RC and it is a BIG battery, That would be about 225 AH at a 20 hour rate? The leviathan weighs 132 lbs! Two reviews, a 1* and a 2*. Is this the beast you bought? How old are your batteries? By myself, at 72 I doubt I could lift the battery into the bay without mechanical or a second strong back assistance. I am a fan of the Trojan T-105 6v batteries. Ignoring cost lithium batteries are the way to go. But if cost is a factor, does one really think they will own the RV they are installed in in 10 years? For me, lithium is just not yet cost effective.
frizfreleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 07:09 AM   #80

Quote:
Okay. Where? I won't believe it until I see it.
frizfreleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 07:26 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizfreleng View Post
Okay. Where? I won't believe it until I see it.
Not sure about $1300 without going to Alibaba but $1440 for 5120 Wh with four of these that have good ratings and the tear downs show decent internal build quality, only issue is no low temp sensor for charge disconnect: https://www.amazon.com/LiFePO4-Batte...dp/B08FMTRYPT/
Old 09-27-2021, 07:57 AM   #82

Go lithium

Why not to use today's technology to your advantage even it may sound more expensive. The weight savings, longer discharge hours, faster charging time, alone worth the extra dollars. I am running a 300 amp Lithium that weight 95 pounds and about to add the second 300 amp next month. My 4 L acid where 125 pounds each. Going Lithium is the way to go if you are not homesteading in RV parks. That is a totally different story. Good luck. Mike
Moto Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:05 AM   #83

Newmar Owners Club
Sealed led acid nobody mentioned them

SLA batteries fit into the puzzle somewhere, just a thought. I have 4 and they were great for me.
Going2town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:22 AM   #84

Monaco Owners Club
I have posted this before

400ah 1500.00 I paid 1300.00 2 years ago

https://www.amazon.com/Lifepo4-Lithi...x=400ah&sr=8-4

Tags
batteries, lithium