RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2020, 01:25 AM   #1

Lithium Battery Boost?

Hi. Iíve got a question thats probably a simple answer. Iíve got a 2013 Georgetown 377 with original electrical system except for the replacement of lead acid batteries. Iím considering upgrading to lithium and possibly solar and all that entails. One thing Iím not clear on is the battery boost. When you switch to lithium coach batteries do you retain your lead acid batteries for battery boost capabilities? Is the battery boost capability assumed by the lithiums in the new wiring configuration or are they unable to provide the cranking amps fast enough to start the engine? I know this must have have been dealt with on every conversion to lithium and is probably simple.

wdcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2020, 09:03 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

I can't answer your question but someone will be along shortly who can help!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:16 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

You are joining a good group of folks here with good info to share. Read the various threads and ask questions as they come up or add info if you can.

Sorry I can't help but some one here will have an answer for you.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:28 PM   #4

I completely replaced all of my FLA house batteries with LiFePO4. I don't have a definitive answer for you, but I don't expect any issue with the boost switch. Lithium ion batteries are generally able to provide high current, which is why jump boxes nowadays use them.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:09 PM   #5

Four coaches with lithium house and lead acid start batteries. If you have to start your coach with the boost feature, no harm to the lithiums, matter of fact, engine will probably start faster because of the slightly higher voltage. But if you have a bim or isolator, need to check it out because of the different charging profiles of lithium and lead acid.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:56 AM   #6

Thanks, figured it was simple but wasn't sure about the CCA of Lithiums
Old 06-30-2020, 09:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdcooper View Post
Thanks, figured it was simple but wasn't sure about the CCA of Lithiums
The Lithium batteries most use for house batteries are not normally designed as starting batteries and are not rated in CCA. But for occasional use to assist your lead acid start battery. probably won't harm them. They do make lithium start batteries but they are very expensive. https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...es/automotive/
Old 06-30-2020, 11:19 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
As to the boost switch question. It doesn't know what kind of batteries you have. It will gang what ever you have to the starter circuit. Your concern is whether or not your choice (design and number) of LFPO batteries are sufficient for a boost start without overtaxing your house batteries.

There are some considerations for both the number and max output per battery. The battery manufacturer should publish discharge information. (See attachment for my batteries as an example)

I have 3 of them and their combined PEAK output is 600 amps for anywhere between 5-10 seconds. There are lithium batteries with higher peak and/or continuous output but with higher prices.

PERSONALLY...If I ran into a relatively dead starter battery situation I get on shore or generator power before using the boost to start the engine. I would also force the charger into a bulk charge in an effort to give them a "shot". If not on shore power and I could not start the generator in the normal way I would use the boost button to start the generator and then force the bulk charge.

BTW, if you are concerned about whether your LFPO battery specs meet your starting needs, I would go straight to forcing a bulk charge and if needed starting the generator with the boost switch if not on shore power.

YMMV!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Relion-Data-Sheet-RB300-2019.pdf (453.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 07-01-2020, 02:29 AM   #9

Thanks
I think my fear was that system just for battery boost would have to be kept separate. I didn’t think that was right but hadn’t seen anything addressing battery boost directly when converting to lithium. Obviously this is because it’s not really an issue.

Engage the generator if battery booster is required also had not occurred to me and of course makes sense. I’ve only had the coach for a little over a year and did have to use the battery boost at the very beginning but replaced the chassis battery immediately and had no problems since.

Tags
lithium