Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2021, 08:10 PM   #1

Lithium for Chassis - why not?

Ok, I must be missing something.... Why would I NOT want Lithium batteries for chassis (Engine & Generator starting) ?

Put aside the larger expense for a few minutes.

On the Positive side for Lithium:
* Faster recovery
* Able to tolerate deep discharge without damage
* Maybe able to go with smaller physical size vs current lead 12 V x 2

On the Positive side for Lead:
* Can recharge below 32F / 0C. However if below 32F I won't be getting that Cat running without the block heater. So if I can run the block heater I can run a battery warmer too. Might get the Onan Generator going to power the block heater.

What am I missing? Or is a 100 or 200 Ah Lithium not able to give the CCA needed to get a DP running?
KenZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2021, 08:54 PM   #2

LifePo4 deep cycle batteries that are used for house batteries generally have a discharge rate around "1 to 2 C" which is a way of saying a 12v 100ah LifePo4 has a max discharge in the 100 to 200 amp range. That is a long way away from the 800 to 1000 amps of a lead acid coach battery.

That said, there are LifePo4 starter batteries designed for the use you describe. Just like a real deep cycle lead acid isn't a great starter battery, the same holds true for LifePO4, the deep cycle versions are not good starter batteries.

Here is an example of a LifePO4 starter battery. Discalimer: I know nothing about this brand, I just found it as an example.

https://www.lifepo4battery-factory.c...start-battery/
jrollf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 08:57 PM   #3

Another potential issue is you may need to change your alternator/charging setup as LifePO4 are charged at differnt rates/voltages than lead acid.
jrollf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 09:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenZ71 View Post

What am I missing? Or is a 100 or 200 Ah Lithium not able to give the CCA needed to get a DP running?
Really!

Just because something is more expensive does not make it better.

Just because it is different does not make it better.

And then there is 'if it's not broke don't fix it.
Old 10-25-2021, 09:47 PM   #5

For what its worth, the 12 volt battery in a Tesla is an AGM.

Just sayin.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 10:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
For what its worth, the 12 volt battery in a Tesla is an AGM.

Just sayin.
Lots of good advice above!

https://evgoforth.com/understanding-tesla-12v-battery/

It is essentially a deep draw AGM battery. It is not used to start a diesel engine. Tesla is planning to change it to a 12 volt lithium battery so it will last as long as the main power battery.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 10:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
Lots of good advice above!

https://evgoforth.com/understanding-tesla-12v-battery/

It is essentially a deep draw AGM battery. It is not used to start a diesel engine. Tesla is planning to change it to a 12 volt lithium battery so it will last as long as the main power battery.
Yah. I can see that. I guess my point was that lithium’s are nice but AGM’s are a nice less expensive alternative that are more cold weather friendly. And having said that, when it comes time to change our 12 volt AGM in our Tesla I’ll probably drop in an LFP lithium, or whatever battery Tesla is recommending at the time.

Cheers.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 10:15 AM   #8

Put simply, a FLA or AGM starting battery is a battery which is most appropriate for the purpose of starting an engine.

The biggest negative is that they need to be kept at or near a full charge. For a vehicle that is not operated on a regular basis, some sort of maintainer should be used.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 11:05 AM   #9

appreciate the comments, thanks much

Tags
chassis, lithium