Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2009, 11:27 AM   #1

Question Lockable power cord or maybe hardwired?

I'm going to be parking my fifth wheel for 2 to 3 years and use it as a weekend get-a-way. While I'm gone I don't want anyone to have the ability to unplug my power cord. I have 50 amp service.

It is pretty easy to secure the steel shore power box, it has a lockable tab so the cord can't be unplugged from the power box.

My fifth wheel has the typical Marinco 50 amp connector with the threads so you just connect the cord, twist, and then spin the black ring to secure it from falling off. The question is how do I keep someone from walking up and unplugging the cord from the fifth wheel itself?
dqstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2009, 03:29 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I think you are possibly worrying about a non issue. Unless someone has a grudge against you, I don't think you have much to worry about. I guess you could duct tape the connector to the cover which would make it more difficult to unplug it.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:01 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The more difficult you make it to do, the more incentive you offer for some jerk to try. I really doubt anyone would disconnect it (of course, only you know the evil leanings of that area). It appears you might be visiting it fairly often and that should suffice. I would be more concerned with vandalism and theft inside the rig.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamguy View Post
I would be more concerned with vandalism and theft inside the rig.

Well that is EXACTLY the point of my post. If you can disconnect the power you will have disabled the alarm system. So I'm trying to keep the power on so the alarm works thus keeping any potential thug from the inside.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:47 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
If you have an alarm on the trailer, there must be people around to hear it! Ask someone (or pay them a few bucks) to watch/check the trailer. Or for peace of mind, take it home.
Jack R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dqstacy View Post
Well that is EXACTLY the point of my post. If you can disconnect the power you will have disabled the alarm system. So I'm trying to keep the power on so the alarm works thus keeping any potential thug from the inside.

How about adding a uninterruptible power supply to the alarm circuit? You should be able to get one designed for a computer relatively cheap, considering it will buy you some "peace of mind"!
Old 12-09-2009, 10:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack R View Post
If you have an alarm on the trailer, there must be people around to hear it! Ask someone (or pay them a few bucks) to watch/check the trailer. Or for peace of mind, take it home.
Thanks for the reply, but you don't understand (how could you since I didn't give you all the info?) my fifth wheel will be on my ranch which is pretty big. The nearest house is over a mile away. Nobody will hear anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken-55 View Post
How about adding a uninterruptible power supply to the alarm circuit? You should be able to get one designed for a computer relatively cheap, considering it will buy you some "peace of mind"!

You know I thought about that and so far I can't figure out why that wouldn't work. It isn't the ultimate solution but would be a temporary solution.
Thanks for the reply
Old 12-09-2009, 11:46 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
dg stacey

stoled from a response on another site, might help.

This person installed a toshiba web camera on his ranch. what do you think.

Jack
Jack R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:20 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Am I missing something? Your only concern is the alarm, and you've stated the rig is too far from civilization for anyone to hear the alarm...
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Am I missing something? Your only concern is the alarm, and you've stated the rig is too far from civilization for anyone to hear the alarm...
Trip the alarm and the alarm automatically calls the county sheriff. If you're stupid enough to stick around the sheriff shows up and hauls you to jail. Scenerio #2 is the rancher next to me happens to drive by and sees you. He'll be within the law when he pulls out his 30-06 and puts a round through your head (got to love Texas).
My concern is the alarm not having enough electrical power to call the sheriff.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:18 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dqstacy View Post
You say you will be at the RV most every weekend. I suspect that he alarm runs of off battery so disconnecting 110 power will not have much effect. Again, you are making a mountain of a ant hill.

Oh, is there no one in the nearby area to keep even a meagre watch?

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:38 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are going to have it on site for 3 years why can't you hard wire the plug into the RV?
kenyonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:42 AM   #13
KIX

Install an inverter/charger unit. As long as there is 110 available it will keep your batteries topped. If you lose 110 then it automatically switches over to provide 110 from your batteries. So if your alarm is 110 it will get power.

Another possibility is to add a metal cover over the RV end of the cord similar to the one at the power source.

A question: how does a potential burglar even know there is an alarm system in the RV until it goes off? The point is: why disconnect the power to break in. What would that achieve.......from the burglar's point of view?
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenyonman View Post
If you are going to have it on site for 3 years why can't you hard wire the plug into the RV?
Well I don't know. Good point