Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2014, 05:42 PM   #1

Looking for 110 to 120 degree fan switch for Norcold 1200 Fridge

My Norcold 1200 Fridge has not been getting cold enough. I noticed that the fans rarely run. I pulled the fridge and using a laser gun heat sensor found that the fin where the fan thermostat switch is mounted never gets above 125 degrees. So I am looking for a switch that would turn the fans on at about 110-120 degrees. Anybody ever but in a lower temperature fan switch and know where I can get one?

Thanks
Ralph
ralphl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2014, 08:51 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Snap Disc.
WW Grainger has them.

snap disc products - Grainger Industrial Supply
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:12 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphl View Post
My Norcold 1200 Fridge has not been getting cold enough. I noticed that the fans rarely run. I pulled the fridge and using a laser gun heat sensor found that the fin where the fan thermostat switch is mounted never gets above 125 degrees. So I am looking for a switch that would turn the fans on at about 110-120 degrees. Anybody ever but in a lower temperature fan switch and know where I can get one?

Thanks
Ralph
Ralph, you might also want to check and make sure both of your heating elements are working correctly. The condenser fins should have no trouble reaching the 130 degree turn on if it is getting enough heat at the boiler. Page 30 of the below manual shows the nominal resistance and the wattage of the elements. Each one should draw approximately 1.9 amps at the 225 watt rating.

Depending on the age of your fridge, it might be time to replace the elements. David Force at RVCoolingunit.com is a great source for repair parts.

Also, check around the cooling unit tubing to make sure you don't have signs of a leak. A yellow powder residue in the area of the boiler tube or anywhere else would indicate that some liquid ammonia has leaked out. Low coolant could also cause lack of heat to the condenser. If you see any signs of leakage, do not try to run the fridge. It will require a unit replacement.

http://www.photo-graphic.com/files/Norcold1200.pdf
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:35 PM   #4

I used a digital controller, see the link below. I set the on and off temp of the fan very simply with this setup. It has its own probe and I set it against the refrigerator tube while it was running and then adjusted the temperature so that it came on when I knew the refrigerator was running.

Since the setup needs both 12v and 5v because it is designed for a computer system, I also used their 12v to 5v converter so that I only needed to apply 12v power. I found a problem with that converter and they custom built me a new one in house. I now can't find it on their web site but they do have a 120v to 12v/5v molex plug that is required to power this controller. If you want a converter that uses only 12v you may need to call them.

Link to Digital Controller
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 09:24 AM   #5

I found a 113 degree switch on ebay at One (1) Thermostat 113°F Temperature Thermal Switch Normaly Open N.O. KSD301 45C. However, it didn't fix the problem of the fridge not getting cold enough.

I ended up replacing my entire cooling unit with the Amish one. See https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...messages/36253 for a description of my experience doing it. So far the fridge with the new cooling unit is running fine. In tests the freezer got down to -10F. However, the weather is cool now, so the fridge has an easy time getting cold. We'll see what happens when it is 100F outside next summer.
ralphl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan, fridge, norcold