Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2022, 08:01 AM   #1

Looking to order a inverter\converter today: need some help

Hi,

I just purchased a 2008 Phoenix Cruiser on a e450 chassis.
I am changing the batteries to lithium so need to change the inverter\converter.

Its replacing a Tripp Lite APS series modifies sine wave unit.

Besides the inverter will I need to change any other components?

What brand and size should I be looking at. Would like to order it from Amazon today.

For now I will just be using a 100AH battery and 300w portable solar but plan to bring battery bank up to at least 400AH (if not more) and as much roof top solar as possible.

Here is a photo of where the inverter\converter is installed. Second one is my battery bay.

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220406_191106.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	342.4 KB
ID:	361638   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220406_190703.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	361639  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2022, 08:56 AM   #2

Your limiting factor is going to be wire size.

It would do no good for someone to recommend a large inverter if your current wiring can not handle it unless you plan on changing it out.

You have 1/0 wiring right now so that limits you to 150 amps of 12 v which is about 1800 watts. Keep in mind that most 2000 watt systems use 2/0 wire and 3000 watt systems use 4/0 wire.

How is your inverter currently wired and do you plan on keeping it that way? I would assume it runs a sub panel. What does the sub panel currently run and do you plan on changing any of that?

Magnum and Victron are the industry leaders for RV use, however there are a lot of brands on the market.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 09:10 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Make sure the inverter has the capacity to charge lithium batteries.
Old 04-07-2022, 09:42 AM   #4

Thanks both,

It will be a friend with electrical experience that will be helping me as I don't have experience installing one.

I did install a converter on my old pusher but that's about it but that's about it.

So if I don't change the cables I need to stick to lower than 1800w.
Old 04-07-2022, 10:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
Thanks both,

So if I don't change the cables I need to stick to lower than 1800w.
The 1/0 cable is rated for 150 amps, and hopefully it is fused/breaker at that rating. 150 amps at 12v = 1800 watts.

One of the questions I asked is what is on that circuit? How much power is likely to be drawn on that circuit? There are many units on the market that are 2000 watts, a lot that are 1500 watts and I am not sure how many in between.

In theory if you have proper circuit protection and you know how much power you will will be using you potentially could go with a common available 2000 watt unit. I will give you an example below.

In my tow vehicle I just purchased a PSW inverter. I ended up purchasing a 2000 watt model. I have not installed it yet, but it is likely I will only be using 4ga wire which is only good for 100 amps or about 1200 watts. I will be doing this because I have a lot of 4ga wire and fittings and routing is easier.

In my TV it will mostly just be running a CPAP a couple of times a year. Maybe some battery charging for power tools. It would be nice for it to run my very small microwave, but that is not a deal breaker for me. I have to have the microwave for my title as a motorhome, but I have yet to use it in 2 years.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 08:01 PM   #6

You have to decide what your objectives are. In the other thread it sounded like you wanted to do what was easy, now you are looking for some more features.

How big of a project are you looking for? Are you looking to use all of your old 12v and 120v wires? If so what guages are they? How many watts is your current inverter/charger? And how many charging amps is it? Do you know how the inverter 120v output is wired? I.e does it feed an inverter sub panel, or is it used to directly power certain devices directly?

Are you satisfied with what is currently running on the inverter? If not what are you looking to add?

How much space do you have for the inverter? For example the Victron units are very nice, but will have a bigger foot print.

Lifepo4 tends to be a bit of a project, you may need a DC to DC charger. You want to install a battery disconnect if you don't already have one.

Lots to think about, hopefully you have some time to think about it, if you are in a rush you are more likely to order something that you will regret.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 08:10 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do you want to replace with a similar capacity unit so as to be able to reuse exiting wiring - just move to PSW and lithium charge capable?

Or do you want added capacity and /or features?

Magnum and xantrex have several units and their tech support can typically advise on exchange/upgrade options in their product lines.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 08:40 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
What is the current unit you have? It looks like there is dip switches to the left of the phone cable. This inverter/converter could already be compatible with lithium batteries. I would check that out first.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 09:06 PM   #9

Hi all,

Sorry for late reply. Still working :-(

My plan now is to replace with a similar one (enough to run nukey machine) and reuse the cables and hook up the 100AH Lithium battery I just bought.

When I have saved 5 grand with my stripper dollars I will blow it all on another 500AH of lithium, 600w solar and a 12 volt air con unit.

Manual I got with the rig says Tripp Lite Power Verter Aps series, the rigs brochure says 2000w. My batteries are toast so cannot check.

This has made me thought of 2 questions I am going to post a separate thread on.

Tags
inverter, converter