Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2014, 04:28 PM   #1

Lost several outlets

Hi their
My 2000 coachman sports coach DP seems to have a problem with some outlets

We full time and boondock 4-5 nights a week.

Problem is the bathroom outlet hah tripped and that affects 3 other outlets as well
I hit the reset on the bathroom outlet but it won't reset it keeps tripping.
Last time this happened I checked the inverter under the bus and it had been tripped. I reset that and all was good for past month.

Not sure what tripped it but this time nothing else seems tripped anywhere

Any other thoughts as to what to check?

Oh and currently this is while generator is running. We won't plug in for another 8 days!

Thx
Sam
illusionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2014, 04:37 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Sam, you are going to have to check the voltage at the GFI and see if you have the 120VAC coming to it, if not breaker panel and check the feed for that circuit. A GFI needs 120 VAC to reset. And if the voltages check out good, your GFI has failed internally and needs replaced.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:54 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
GFCI's do go bad. If you have another in the coach might try to swap and see if the problem moves or stays.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:00 PM   #4

While I understand some of the terms u guys speak of...when it comes to electricity I'm clueless. U need to talk to me like I'm 7. LOL

I'm hoping to stop by an rv shop tomorrow near here and ask them to take a look.

If u want to offer some more specific details or how to do what u ask I'm willing to jump in and try. I'm a quick learner but never was fond of electricity.

Sam
Old 01-14-2014, 08:10 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Sam, I can see and tell you are not comfortable working with electric....That's OK, just have someone that understands electric look at it and I believe it will be a quick fix, let us know and fell free to post more questions or problems that you might have.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:15 PM   #6

GFI

I had a problem with my GFI tripping it turined out to be the ice maker, the heating unit in the maker shorted out try unpluging the ice maker and see if that cures your problem
mccrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:32 PM   #7

Hi Sam.
Try unplugging everything on that circuit including possibly dsi water heater or refrigerator. Reset gfci if it holds start plugging things in until it trips if it does you have found the problem. If not either a short or bad gfci but it may save time for tech and time is money.
Good luck
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:46 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes that works. However, 90% of the gfi trips in a RV because one of the affected outlets is wet or an area round a bare portion of the hot wire and current is leaking to ground like would occur if a person was standing in water and touched the hot wire(black). Dry everything out and it probably will not occur again while everything is dry.
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:47 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you have more than one GFI, you might want to swap out a good one for the one you are having trouble with. If the good one trips, it's not the GFI. If it doesn't trip, throw away the bad one, buy a new one, and install it in the now empty spot where the good one was. Btw, make sure before you do any thing, make sure you cut the electric to each area you are messing with by turning off the electric at the panel box...
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:01 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Based on what you stated about not liking electricity, I would heed your own advice and take it to someone who will resolve the problem for you.

Not everyone is cutout to work on electrical problems.

That way everyone is safe and alive to enjoy more RVing.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:24 PM   #11

I think Targaboat nailed it. Once I read his response about things being wet I can tell u that the last 3 times it has happened it has rained!
So something is getting wet somewhere.

Now how the heck do I search for that!

Sam
Old 01-14-2014, 09:35 PM   #12

Try unplugging everything to make sure it's not an appliance. If it still trips find a professional I would look for an electrician rather than a rv dealer but that's your choice.
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:45 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
For over $100 per hour?

The wetness can be anywhere around all of the affected outlets for they are all daisy chained together through the one cfi. Could also be a junction box in the chain. The next time it happens look for wetness and take a hair dryer and start drying until you can reset the cfi. No faster way. Then caulk over the leaking spot. Can be dozen of areas.
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:36 PM   #14

The first place I would look at would be any outside electrical outlets...