Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2015, 11:04 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
LP Detector

I know this has been discussed but I have another question. I have now given up on our LP/CO detector. The LP alarm goes off for no clear reason. It was even checked for a leak by a dealer. It seems to be very unreliable.

I have read that many say they just disconnect the detector - but that seems like a poor answer.

Now I am wondering if it has to do with the location? We have a Winnebago Minnie Winnie and the hallway to the bedroom has the shower on one side and the toilet / lav on the other side. The detector is mounted in the wall - about 4 inches from floor on the toilet / lab side of that hallway.

I seem to remember other RV's we have had with it mounted in the kitchen?

This is the second detector I have tried. The RV was only 1 year old when I replaced the first unit (thinking perhaps they used an old unit) and now the replacement unit is sending what certainly appears to be false alarms.

I do not detect any hint of propane in the air and the factory checked the lines and no leak.

Ideas appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2015, 11:34 AM   #2

Two years ago, I replaced the LP detector in our coach....the old one was sounding the alarm frequently for no reason. BTW, ours is located under the refer, accross from the stove and adjacent to one of our sink/vantiy areas. That would seem to be a perfect location to sense LP funes.

I researched the issue and replaced the unit....problem went away. They get old and get unreliable it seems. I also wired in an "on/off" rocker switch adjacent to the alarm....just in case. Now, I do recall reading somewhere that some of these things can be extremely sensitive to lots of "smells" other than LP. Such things as heavy perfumes, soaps, air fresheners, deodorants, etc. can activate the alarm. So....for grins, I just had to try it on the new unit. I mixed a concoction of perfume and soap and set it near the alarm. Took about 10 seconds, and the thing went off. Interesting. I see that as a good thing, really. Since then, once when the DW may have "overdone it" with the perfume prior to a dinner engagement, the thing went off. Turned it off with the switch and waited for "things" to clear out for awhile. It reset, and life was good again.

Just my experience. I would never disable one of these things and just "live" with it. That just doesn't seem smart to me. That's MO....
Old 07-31-2015, 12:05 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Very good - I had already thought of replacing and adding a small toggle switch. Will do that when I return home.