Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2020, 04:07 PM   #1

LP tank hoses leaking help?

a 15 yr old Montana 5th wheel all original

1 propane tank just ran out.
Flipped lever towards 2nd tank, open its valve and removed empty tank.
5 mins later the RED (empty) flag is still RED and furnace wont fire.
I open door where i just removed the empty and hear hissing--GAS LEAKING OUT OF THE HOSE that connects to tank.
I replace empty, keep its valve closed and in a minute GREEN flag.

Apparently the valve that directs which tank feeds is NOT SEALING.

Can it be serviced/oiled/sealed......somehow?

If NOT,
What is it called and where do i get one?

Thanks
Trapper John
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2020, 04:23 PM   #2

Both tanks have to be in place to pressurize the system or your leaking propane. That’s what I have always been told.
THEHOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:12 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The valve that you mention is call a change over valve. Now if its pointed to the tank you remove, I think the other tank will leak out of the hose on the tank removed.

You should be able to point the arm to a tank and remove the opposite tank with out it leaking. I have removed a tank and taken it into town, while the other tank provided propane to heat.

Now there is a third setting on this valve. Straight up or down. In this mode it will use from both tanks at the same time. Not sure what happens in this mode if you remove one tank. Does it close that side, or does it leak.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:13 PM   #4

They are NOT serviceable
You should be able to remove a cylinder w/o propane leaking out
1st cylinder you OPEN/Place in service is the primary cylinder
Lever points to in service cylinder
You can then OPEN the second cylinder valve

When primary goes empty (vapor pressure is roughly 10#) the Auto Changeover Reg will swap to the secondary cylinder.
Indicator goes RED
Change lever to secondary cylinder...Indicator goes Green

Then Close primary/empty cylinder valve, disconnect pigtail and take to get filled

After the Auto Swap...secondary becomes primary and refilled cylinder becomes secondary

15 yr old.....
Time for a New Auto Changeover Regulator and 2 new pigtail hoses
You got your monies worth...buy new and go camping

Side Note:
Never position lever up/down
Drawing from both cylinders will cause BOTH to be empty at same time
And if you did disconnect the pigtail the other cylinder would blow thru hose at full cylinder pressure

Also
When Opening the Service/OPD valve do it SLOWLY so you do not trip the 'excess flow limiter' device inside the ACME Green Nut on the pigtail
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:17 PM   #5

Sounds like the automatic changeover regulator. Does it look like this? That is the automatic changeover regulator assy. If it is leaking it must be replaced. Any RV supplies store will have one.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 10:09 AM   #6

Change over valves come in different sizes and shapes. Make sure the new one fits in place of the old. I replaced the original CAMCO on my Kodiak Cub. I picked a new one that might be more reliable than the CAMCO. I had to build a new mounting bracket for everything to work properly.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
roughly 10#) the Auto Changeover Reg will swap to the secondary cylinder.
Indicator goes RED
Change lever to secondary cylinder...Indicator goes Green

Then Close primary/empty cylinder valve, disconnect pigtail and take to get filled

After the Auto Swap...secondary becomes primary and refilled cylinder becomes secondary
l
historically, that's what we did, run on 1 while having other filled.

THanks
Old 12-06-2020, 11:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Sounds like the automatic changeover regulator. Does it look like this? That is the automatic changeover regulator assy. If it is leaking it must be replaced. Any RV supplies store will have one.
nosir, that is what's on our Jayco travel trailer where both tanks are next to each other.
This is on a 5th wheel where tanks are 8 ft apart, on opposite sides of the camper..
Old 12-06-2020, 09:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41magnum View Post
nosir, that is what's on our Jayco travel trailer where both tanks are next to each other.
This is on a 5th wheel where tanks are 8 ft apart, on opposite sides of the camper..
So you don't have a changeover valve with a manual lever? Length of hoses to cylinders is immaterial.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 12-07-2020, 09:13 AM   #10

Quote:
So you don't have a changeover valve with a manual lever? Length of hoses to cylinders is immaterial.
not like the one pictured
but yes, and the changeover lever is above 1 tank and the other tank is 8 ft on the other side of the unit.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:27 AM   #11

LP changeover valves are made in different designs by different mfgrs., were mine leaking I'd replace it ASAP. If a hose is leaking it would stop when the manual changeover valve is moved to the in-use cylinder.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:29 AM   #12

ours looks like this Fairview model
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2020, 09:49 AM   #13

Quote:
LP changeover valves are made in different designs by different mfgrs., were mine leaking I'd replace it ASAP. If a hose is leaking it would stop when the manual changeover valve is moved to the in-use cylinder.
that's what I was thinking, one should stop when the valve is ON to the other cylinder.
Making me think its only the regulator not sealing and the hoses are ok.

When the changeover is pushed ALL THE WAY over to select a tank, it is kind of mushy and springs back a lil bit too....NOT staying in place anymore.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41magnum View Post
that's what I was thinking, one should stop when the valve is ON to the other cylinder.
Making me think its only the regulator not sealing and the hoses are ok.

When the changeover is pushed ALL THE WAY over to select a tank, it is kind of mushy and springs back a lil bit too....NOT staying in place anymore.
It is BROKE....Buy a replacement

And you might want to buy a replacement for that 30# Red Top reg on side where cylinder is opposite of changeover reg
It's 15+ yrs old
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, hose, leak, tank, valve