Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2020, 09:03 AM   #1

LPG Furnace and Duct Cleaning

Has anyone done this? Ours smells like most when initially fired up.
I vacuum the floor vents and ducts as far as I can reach and also the furnace itself , but still get the odor.

Any thoughts or recommendations?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2020, 10:20 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
Has anyone done this? Ours smells like most when initially fired up.
I vacuum the floor vents and ducts as far as I can reach and also the furnace itself , but still get the odor.

Any thoughts or recommendations?
I think you’ll get that odor every time you fire up the furnace for the first time after several months of non-use even if you have your ducts cleaned periodically. It’s just dust burning off and after running the system a bit it should subside. Do you have filters on your return air vents?

And to clean the ducts a shop vac with a long hose should do nicely. You don’t have long runs as you do in a house, and you have smaller diameter ducts, so “professional” cleaning doesn’t sound like a good option, aside from the cost and inconvenience.

On a totally off topic note, how’ve you ever had the chance to compare the comfort drive on your coach to later models with adjustable settings? I’m told the 2008 models are effectively set a “3” as compared to the later scale of 1-6 adjustability. Just curious as Ive been watching for 2008-2010 units (36’ KS and Ventana) to come up for sale for about six months.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:39 AM   #3

As R.Wold said, the smell is not from the duct or vent. The smell comes from dust settling on the heat exchanger inside the furnace unit itself. Unless your willing to remove the unit and disassemble to clean it every fall before using you will just have to live with it.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
As R.Wold said, the smell is not from the duct or vent. The smell comes from dust settling on the heat exchanger inside the furnace unit itself. Unless your willing to remove the unit and disassemble to clean it every fall before using you will just have to live with it.

We have been full timing for 4 years now. Granted the furnace is only used to maybe 3-4 month a year while in Canada, but the smell come on all the time.
I may try a more complete hand wash Of the whole unit.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
I think you’ll get that odor every time you fire up the furnace for the first time after several months of non-use even if you have your ducts cleaned periodically. It’s just dust burning off and after running the system a bit it should subside. Do you have filters on your return air vents?

And to clean the ducts a shop vac with a long hose should do nicely. You don’t have long runs as you do in a house, and you have smaller diameter ducts, so “professional” cleaning doesn’t sound like a good option, aside from the cost and inconvenience.

On a totally off topic note, how’ve you ever had the chance to compare the comfort drive on your coach to later models with adjustable settings? I’m told the 2008 models are effectively set a “3” as compared to the later scale of 1-6 adjustability. Just curious as Ive been watching for 2008-2010 units (36’ KS and Ventana) to come up for sale for about six months.

No I haven’t driven anything else but this one. My friend has an 11 DSDP. I’d like to drive his and feel for myself also.

Tags
ace, furnace