Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2022, 11:10 AM   #1

Magnum ms2812 problems

So I recently upgraded to a magnum ms2812 mainly because of our residential fridge. Everything seems to work OK except when I shut the generator off. Magnum says that it switches between inverter power and pass through power seamlessly and nothing should be affected. When inverting, and the TV is running, we start the generator to power some larger loads, it switches from inverting to pass through with zero issues, the TV stays on. When shutting the generator off it doesn't go back to inverting fast enough and everything turns off for a few seconds. It's all comes back on, but there is not supposed to be a gap in power delivery. Has anyone experienced this? I'm not sure if it's something that can be changed in the settings or? There are some settings in the menu I don't understand.
RescueRamsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2022, 01:34 PM   #2

I think that there is a setting for "minimum inverter draw" amps or something like that. Try turning that feature off or setting to zero.
Old 01-16-2022, 01:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
I think that there is a setting for "minimum inverter draw" amps or something like that. Try turning that feature off or setting to zero.
Yea, I found that and already have it set to always be on. It's "search mode"
It powers down if the draw is below at set threshold
Old 01-16-2022, 02:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RescueRamsey View Post
Yea, I found that and already have it set to always be on. It's "search mode"

It powers down if the draw is below at set threshold

On generator everything is below threshold so that is most likely what you need to fix.
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 02:35 PM   #5

That sounds like a defective unit, not something to do with the search watts. Magnum tech support is very helpful. I use my ms2812 to power RR, 2 DVR's, network switches, cameras + plus the usual Micro, toaster, coffee maker etc. I have no drop switching from SP or Generator, my computers cannot tell the power switched over to inverter as long as I leave the inverter turned on. (that's how its supposed to work) -Bill

PS. I leave my search watts on 5 watts, which if I remember correctly is the default.
Old 01-16-2022, 03:57 PM   #6

So I tried it again and it worked properly. No drop in power while switching between generator and inverter. Great, an intermittent issue, let's hope it was a fluke?
Old 01-17-2022, 06:04 AM   #7

Magnum Switch over delays

Raise the AC input "Dropout" voltage from the default 80 volts for faster switching from generator to inverting.

Manual:

https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/si...-MS-Series.pdf

Page 42
3.4 Transfer Time
While in the Standby Mode, the AC input is continually monitored. Whenever AC power falls below the VAC Dropout voltage (80 V AC, default setting), the inverter automatically transfers back to the Invert Mode with minimum interruption to your appliances - as long as the inverter is turned on. The transfer from Standby mode to Inverter mode occurs in approximately 16 milliseconds.

While the MS Series is not designed as a computer UPS system, this transfer time is usually fast enough to hold them up. However, the VAC dropout setting has an effect on the ability of the loads to transfer without resetting. The lower this setting, the longer the effective transfer will be and therefore, the higher the probability for the output loads to reset. This occurs because the incoming AC voltage is allowed to fall to a level that is so low - that when the transfer does occur - the voltage on the inverters output has already fallen low enough level to reset the loads.

The disadvantage of a higher VAC Dropout setting is that smaller generators (or large generators with an unstable output) may nuisance transfer. This commonly happens when powering loads that are larger than the generator can handle - causing the generatorís output voltage to constantly fall below the inverters input VAC Dropout threshold.

Info: When switching from Inverter Mode to the Standby Mode, the inverter waits approximately 15 seconds to ensure the AC source is stable before transferring.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 06:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
Raise the AC input "Dropout" voltage from the default 80 volts for faster switching from generator to inverting.

Manual:

https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/si...-MS-Series.pdf

Page 42
3.4 Transfer Time
While in the Standby Mode, the AC input is continually monitored. Whenever AC power falls below the VAC Dropout voltage (80 V AC, default setting), the inverter automatically transfers back to the Invert Mode with minimum interruption to your appliances - as long as the inverter is turned on. The transfer from Standby mode to Inverter mode occurs in approximately 16 milliseconds.

While the MS Series is not designed as a computer UPS system, this transfer time is usually fast enough to hold them up. However, the VAC dropout setting has an effect on the ability of the loads to transfer without resetting. The lower this setting, the longer the effective transfer will be and therefore, the higher the probability for the output loads to reset. This occurs because the incoming AC voltage is allowed to fall to a level that is so low - that when the transfer does occur - the voltage on the inverters output has already fallen low enough level to reset the loads.

The disadvantage of a higher VAC Dropout setting is that smaller generators (or large generators with an unstable output) may nuisance transfer. This commonly happens when powering loads that are larger than the generator can handle - causing the generatorís output voltage to constantly fall below the inverters input VAC Dropout threshold.

Info: When switching from Inverter Mode to the Standby Mode, the inverter waits approximately 15 seconds to ensure the AC source is stable before transferring.
This makes sense. Thank you.

Tags
ems, problem, problems