Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2020, 03:38 PM   #1
NXR

Melted evap cup on the back of a Norcold fridge?

Has anyone seen this before?

The picture of what mine looks like is attached. It's on a 2019 four-door 1210.

My rig is back at the factory and while they initially thought the yellow highlighting I used on the picture may have been a coolant leak, it was just me using a really bad choice of color to point out the problem area...

I had requested the evap cup be replaced due to the melting. The factory had never seen this before so they called Norcold. Norcold told them the evap cup is made of 500-degree material and intentionally is against the chimney to aid in evaporating the water and the evap cup should never melt like that.

So I figured I'd ask here if anyone else had seen this happen. The factory is wondering if they should replace the fridge because that area should never get hot enough to melt the evap cup.

It's even more odd because we're rarely on propane. Switching from shore power to generator and vice versa is usually it. We travel with the generator running and use the electric heaters for the fridge. I doubt the fridge has four hours runtime on propane since we got it a year ago unless I've forgotten something.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Norcold.PNG
Views:	45
Size:	841.0 KB
ID:	289046  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2020, 06:06 PM   #2

1210 uses TWO electric heater elements....they get HOT
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 07:01 PM   #3
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
1210 uses TWO electric heater elements....they get HOT
450 watts, I believe. I was thinking that because they're a foot or more higher than the propane burner that heat they generate would go up rather than down.

Ray
Old 06-10-2020, 07:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
450 watts, I believe. I was thinking that because they're a foot or more higher than the propane burner that heat they generate would go up rather than down.

Ray

have you checked the insulation inside the sheet metal cover where the elements are located?
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 07:25 PM   #5
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
have you checked the insulation inside the sheet metal cover where the elements are located?
Nope, currently under warranty and at the factory. So, currently "not my problem".

Ray
Old 06-15-2020, 07:01 PM   #6
NXR

As follow-up and closure, I heard from the factory today that, after consulting with Norcold, they decided to replace the refrigerator. The Norcold rep is under travel restrictions so they shared the installation with the rep by Facetime and no one can figure out what caused the melting.

Once the new one goes in, the Norcold rep will look over the install in the slide to assure it meets their requirements.

<insert very happy face here>

Ray
Old 06-15-2020, 07:16 PM   #7

JMHO: With the location of the drip tray over the , flame tube , I'd think that the burner flame is not being fully contained / directed to the proper spot to send all the heat from the burner up the chimney where it belongs. Even with limited operation on propane , if the flame wasn't in the proper place the LP system would have run WAY longer that usual and gotten too hot for the plastic.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:43 PM   #8
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
JMHO: With the location of the drip tray over the flame tube , I'd think that the burner flame is not being fully contained / directed to the proper spot to send all the heat from the burner up the chimney where it belongs. Even with limited operation on propane , if the flame wasn't in the proper place the LP system would have run WAY longer that usual and gotten too hot for the plastic.
Could be and that would be a major bullet dodged because that tray is supposed to withstand heat up to 500 degrees F.

There were a number of problems with the propane part:

Would not light reliably - Dealer said there was sawdust in the chimney.

Would light with a delay, a loud WHUMP, and the flame would blow itself out. Opening the little viewing vent door allowed it to light normally - Dealer adjusted burner.

Would light intermittently - Dealer replaced igniter.

I think this all happened within the first two months of ownership.

Ray
Old 06-16-2020, 01:39 PM   #9

Multiple issues.. best have it long gone.
Careful repeated testing of the replacement is in order.
Old 06-16-2020, 11:01 PM   #10
NXR

Agreed. I’m wondering if any of it was dealer-inflicted. The senior manager on my job told me that in addition to having Norcold go through the entire install and baffling to assure it’s correct, he’s having the production line people attend so they can recognize when something is wrong and learn how install mistakes can result in problems or disasters.

Ray

Tags
norcold, fridge