Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2013, 06:19 PM   #1

mh fridge at a permanent Site

This is the first year that we are using the mh at a permanent Site. My question is should I let the fridge turned on all week? Or would it be better to go over Thursday and turn it on so it's cold for Friday evening when we get there? We will only be using it on the weekends.
Brian313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #2

I used to leave my fridge on all the time. Wether in a campground or sitting at home in the driveway. That is until the fridge set itself on fire. Fortunately it happened while I was driving down the road and I got the fire out quick!

I now have a residential fridge and it is on all the time.

I would say if you trust your fridge not to set itself on fire, leave it on. I left mine on for years ... No problem up until the fire. BTW... I had a Dometic fridge which is less prone to go ablaze. If you have a 12## series Norcold you might not want to go off and leave it running.
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:24 AM   #3

I'm not sure what model Norcold fridge it is when I've ordered parts the number that seams to work is 6162 I think that's the model number. After reading about yours catching on fire I think I will just turn it on when we get there and make sure it's off when we leave.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:31 AM   #4

Is there room to add a residential refer outside? A small residential refer can be bought for around 200 dollars and would be a great alternative. But if that is not an option, leave the refer on electric and you should be good. Full timers use then 24/7 for years at a time with no ill effects.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:36 AM   #5

I unfortunately do not the room outside (or inside no slides) for a domestic dorm sized fridge. What causes these fridges to Catch on fire?
Old 04-19-2013, 07:57 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
RV fires

^^^ irv2 search results for RV Fires
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian313
I unfortunately do not the room outside (or inside no slides) for a domestic dorm sized fridge. What causes these fridges to Catch on fire?
Brian,

In my case it was an electrical fire. The unit was running on electricity at the time of the fire. It appears to have started when the 120v power cord overheated. A bunch of the wires on the back, including the power cord, were neatly bundled together with a wire tie. This bundle caught on fire.

The burning rubber of the bundled wires - right under the cooling unit - super heated the cooling unit and caused it to crack. This just added another fuel source for the fire.

With that said, I honestly believe this was a freak occurrence. I replaced the absorption fridge with a residential unit not because I was afraid of another fire, but because residential units are bigger and provide more consistent performance. ... And they're significantly cheaper$$$.

Just as a side note... Last year my MH was in a KOA in North Carolina almost the whole year. I was there working, and would fly home on the weekends. I never shut my fridge off the entire year.

If I were you I'd check with Norcold to see if yours is one of the notorious recall units. If not, you're probably pretty safe.
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote