Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-29-2008, 04:21 PM   #1

Well, after a fairly bad lightning storm a few days ago my Sharp Microwave/Convection Oven's digital display suddenly had missing segments (possibly a coincidence) on the first digit from the left. See demo pic below.

This in not my LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) but mine has missing segments similar to what is shown in the picture.

So, I called around and found repair could be accomplished by someone local. Very expensive to say the least. Also priced a new R820BK like mine and it would have been about $280.00 delivered.

I remembered reading a post of some RV related forum about a guy that could actually fix the display for about $39.95 if you pulled the control panel and mailed it to him in Indiana.
Name of the business is Microwave Display Repair.

Armed with knowledge gleaned from Microwave Display Repair's website, I got my Phillips head screwdriver out and pulled the Sharp from the wall mounting box and opened the microwave up. (not that hard). I easily removed the control panel and overnighted it via USPS Overnight mail to William at Microwave Display Repair. The panel got to Indiana the next day and about 24 hrs. later I received an email from the business saying the unit was fixed and on the way back to me via Express Overnite Mail. (I paid $16.00 for Overnite Express) I originally/upfront had authorized PayPal to give William $110.00 to cover parts if he could not fix the unit and needed to buy new parts. (i.e. CPU) Without my asking, William immediately refunded most of that money when he determined he could fix the unit and not have to replace it. How's that for honesty! Actual repair of my display ended being about $50.00. Turn around time was very fast!

I will post here in the next day or so and let you know if indeed the display is back to normal/repaired. I'm confident it will be.

I will also add that William was good about keeping me updated in regard to repair status. He spoke with me on the phone and via an Instant Message button on his website. Very refreshing to do business with a business/fellow like this. Thank You, William.

For the record.. I used PayPal and used my MasterCard for a funding source. IF there had been an issue I would have told MC to do a "charge back". In todays day and age I don't just send cash to someone/ some business.
BillArf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2008, 04:21 PM   #2

Well, after a fairly bad lightning storm a few days ago my Sharp Microwave/Convection Oven's digital display suddenly had missing segments (possibly a coincidence) on the first digit from the left. See demo pic below.

This in not my LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) but mine has missing segments similar to what is shown in the picture.

So, I called around and found repair could be accomplished by someone local. Very expensive to say the least. Also priced a new R820BK like mine and it would have been about $280.00 delivered.

I remembered reading a post of some RV related forum about a guy that could actually fix the display for about $39.95 if you pulled the control panel and mailed it to him in Indiana.
Name of the business is Microwave Display Repair.

Armed with knowledge gleaned from Microwave Display Repair's website, I got my Phillips head screwdriver out and pulled the Sharp from the wall mounting box and opened the microwave up. (not that hard). I easily removed the control panel and overnighted it via USPS Overnight mail to William at Microwave Display Repair. The panel got to Indiana the next day and about 24 hrs. later I received an email from the business saying the unit was fixed and on the way back to me via Express Overnite Mail. (I paid $16.00 for Overnite Express) I originally/upfront had authorized PayPal to give William $110.00 to cover parts if he could not fix the unit and needed to buy new parts. (i.e. CPU) Without my asking, William immediately refunded most of that money when he determined he could fix the unit and not have to replace it. How's that for honesty! Actual repair of my display ended being about $50.00. Turn around time was very fast!

I will post here in the next day or so and let you know if indeed the display is back to normal/repaired. I'm confident it will be.

I will also add that William was good about keeping me updated in regard to repair status. He spoke with me on the phone and via an Instant Message button on his website. Very refreshing to do business with a business/fellow like this. Thank You, William.

For the record.. I used PayPal and used my MasterCard for a funding source. IF there had been an issue I would have told MC to do a "charge back". In todays day and age I don't just send cash to someone/ some business.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:13 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Bill, thanks for the link and the review of this company. I will probably be using this guy in the future when I find just a bad display on an appliance.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:30 AM   #4

When I had the phonebook out and was calling local, independent appliance repair guys. I found quite a few here in the Daytona, Fl. area but they were all expensive, most did not want drop-ins but wanted to do a house call at $70+-. During the call to each they said a week or two turn around time for parts, etc. I mentioned to them about a repair guy that would repair LCD segments and more if you mailed him the control console. Turn around time was fast.. Long story short, most of the repair guys came right out and asked me for the guys website address as they would themselves use his services. Funny, one repair guy even told me he would stop by for free and help me get the control panel out of my unit if I would please share the website address of Microwave Display Repair with me. He encouraged me to send the control panel to Microwave Display Repair as his repair would end being almost as much as a replacement oven would cost.

I gave all the repair guys that wanted it the website address for Microwave Display Repair.

Forgot to mention... You can even send the whole microwave in for repair of digital display and other parts, etc.. You can also get control units/parts in general from him. He has very complete troubleshooting/disassembly info on his website.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:42 PM   #5

Well, my Sharp control console was returned from Microwave Display Repair. Terrific turn around time! It's reinstalled and working like new.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:12 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bill

You are a very lucky person. I sent my display to Microwave Display Repair for an updated replacement unit. It took a about three months to get it. I sent the old unit back for the refund of the core charge and I still havn't received it. That was about 6 months ago.

I am just kissing it off as a bad deal.

George
cvrvr is offline   Reply With Quote