Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2018, 09:03 PM   #1

Microwave Drawing Down Batteries

My motorhome has a GoPower Inverter/Charger that charges the batteries and has shore power passthru to power the AC appliances and outlets, and I have solar panels and a solar charge controller that also charges the batteries.
Whenever I run the Microwave with the generator running (not on shore power), I can see on the battery monitor that the batteries are getting pulled down considerably (under 12 volts). This doesn't happen when I'm on shore power.

This doesn't seem right to me. Shouldn't the generator (a 4000W Onan) supply enough power to run the microwave and still be able to charge the batteries at the same time? My single AC unit runs on generator just fine, with charge still going to the battery bank. I'm thinking maybe it was wired with only the Air Conditioner power being supplied by the Inverter pass thru, but that doesn't explain why the issue doesn't happen when on shore power.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? My batteries (4-6V AGM) are really weak after too many deep cycle discharges before I realized what was happening, and I'd like to figure out what's going on before I replace the batteries.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Brian
ZBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2018, 09:10 PM   #2

My 42 ft is a lot different than yours but if I forget to stat gen when I warm up coffee with MW I put a lot of drain on batteries. Are you sure that the outlet for the MW is connected to gen?
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupdyke View Post
My 42 ft is a lot different than yours but if I forget to stat gen when I warm up coffee with MW I put a lot of drain on batteries. Are you sure that the outlet for the MW is connected to gen?
Ive done that too, running a pressure cooker on batteries is not a good idea
The generator output and the shore power line are both connected to the inverter/charger and it either charges the batteries or passes power thru depending on the power draw. When there is no external power present it switches to inverter mode and powers everything from the batteries.
At least thats my understanding of what it should do according to the manual.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:02 PM   #4

Sounds like you donít have any AC output from the generator.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clomok View Post
Sounds like you donít have any AC output from the generator.
The generator runs the Air Conditioner, so its at least putting out 15 amps or so.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:50 PM   #6

Are you sure the inverter has a pass thru relay ? What brand GoPower ?

If you switch off the inverter does the microwave work ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 12:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Are you sure the inverter has a pass thru relay ? What brand GoPower ?

If you switch off the inverter does the microwave work ?
Its the GoPower IC-2000, and it has 50 amp AC pass through capability.

And the microwave does not work if the inverter is off, but i thought that was because the inverter has to be on to switch to pass through mode. Maybe not though. The air conditioner is the only 120V thing that works with the inverter off.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:45 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBrian View Post

And the microwave does not work if the inverter is off, but i thought that was because the inverter has to be on to switch to pass through mode. Maybe not though. The air conditioner is the only 120V thing that works with the inverter off.
from what I can tell from Go-Power, that shouldn't be the case. You can turn it off from the remote panel and the charger and other features will continue to run until you remove 120 volt power to the unit. The fact that the microwave doesn't work with the inverter turned off indicates that it is still running off the inverter and not the generator. Could be that 50 amp transfer switch has a problem with one leg...
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 03:50 AM   #9

Quote:

Does it charge the batteries while on generator power ?

There are 2 AC input breakers on the side of the inverter case, have you checked them ?

Have you checked the breakers on the generator itself ? Some have a double breaker and some will have 2 independent breakers. If one is tripped, that could cause what you have going on.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 02:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrownstein View Post
from what I can tell from Go-Power, that shouldn't be the case. You can turn it off from the remote panel and the charger and other features will continue to run until you remove 120 volt power to the unit. The fact that the microwave doesn't work with the inverter turned off indicates that it is still running off the inverter and not the generator. Could be that 50 amp transfer switch has a problem with one leg...
I looked inside the inverter/charger and theres only one 3 wire romex line wired for AC input and output, so I guess its only getting max 30 amps from the coach's transfer switch. There might be something wrong with the relay in the unit that decides how much assist it provides from the inverter (using battery power when there is sufficient AC passthru from the generator). I think I'll have to call gopower and have their tech support toubleshoot with me.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Does it charge the batteries while on generator power ?

There are 2 AC input breakers on the side of the inverter case, have you checked them ?

Have you checked the breakers on the generator itself ? Some have a double breaker and some will have 2 independent breakers. If one is tripped, that could cause what you have going on.
It does charge the batteries at 80amps (dc) while on generator. I checked the breakers on the generator and the inverter/charger and none were tripped.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:03 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I looked inside the inverter/charger and theres only one 3 wire romex line wired for AC input and output, so I guess its only getting max 30 amps from the coach's transfer switch. There might be something wrong with the relay in the unit that decides how much assist it provides from the inverter (using battery power when there is sufficient AC passthru from the generator). I think I'll have to call gopower and have their tech support toubleshoot with me.
You need to get an electrician. To my knowledge you have a 50 amp coach. That means two legs, each with 50 amps. If there is only a 3 wire romex (ground, neutral and hot) it is not feeding all of the coach. You need to find out what it feeds and where the feed comes from. All is not as we assummed. How big is the Romex? You need to trace this.

If you have a meter, put it on the input side of the inverter transfer switch and then have someone start flipping breakers until you find the feed. It can't come directly from your transfer switch unless it is fused somewhere and the coach transfer switch is not fused. Once you find out what breaker feeds it, odds are that the outlets that breaker feeds are the only ones that offer inverter power.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:10 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In some rigs only some outlets get power from the inverter so not all will work unless plugged into shore power or running the generator. The last MH I had that was wired that way was our '00 DSDP.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 03:14 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
In some rigs only some outlets get power from the inverter so not all will work unless plugged into shore power or running the generator. The last MH I had that was wired that way was our '00 DSDP.
I suspect that is the case. The challenge is to find out which breaker and which outlets. The feed is probably coming from one breaker only.

Tags
batteries, inverter/charger, microwave