Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2013, 01:53 AM   #1

Missing thermostat!

Another question about the '77 Holiday Rambler I acquired.

Looks like the thermostat is missing....I do have paperwork on it and it WAS a Cam Stat T17H or TM17H (not sure which...the manual has both printed on it) so are there special RV thermostats or can I just pick one up at the hardware store?

While I'm at it - and a related question - I found the furnace and it looks like it has new duct work. There is one hose that goes from the furnace to the heater vent and I saw another hose that comes out the other side of the furnace and it just runs underneath the dinette benches and just ends there. I'm sure this isn't correct...any thoughts on that would be great.
Djdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2013, 04:03 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
The thermostat is for what?
The vent under the dinette bench should probably come through bence base to a louvered vent plate.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
The thermostat is for what?
The vent under the dinette bench should probably come through bence base to a louvered vent plate.
Sorry wizard... The thermostat for the heat/furnace. The one that's usually on the wall that you turn up to turn the heat on. Guess I didn't make that very clear... Oops.

And to clear up the hose question.... There are two hoses coming from the furnace. One does come to a louvered plate... There is another hose that starts from the other side of the furnace and just ends underneath another dinette bench. Maybe it's supposed to run to the bathroom? If I don't end up using that one I would guess I should plug it up or something.... Just having hot air blow inside a bench compartment doesn't seem like a good thing.???
Old 06-23-2013, 07:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djdawg View Post
Just having hot air blow inside a bench compartment doesn't seem like a good thing.???
It's a good thing if you need to keep the water pipes and tanks from freezing during winter travel. The basement should be heated.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:49 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Most furnaces have knock outs that you can add a foil hose or two.
Check the air intake near furnace so no blockage, the more air it can draw the more heat you will have.
No sense on being cold this winter.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan.Birch View Post
It's a good thing if you need to keep the water pipes and tanks from freezing during winter travel. The basement should be heated.
So that's a usual thing Stan? Having a hose just lay in there? Makes sense now that you mention it. I did notice that those benches seem like new construction so perhaps he had that second hose running to a heater vent at one time... I'm not sure.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djdawg View Post
So that's a usual thing Stan? Having a hose just lay in there?
I don't know much about how RVs were constructed in 1977, but I assume they were somewhat less sophisticated than today's rigs. It is standard costruction to have heating ducts leading from dash heater and furnace to the basement to keep plumbing and tanks from freezing in during cold weather travel and camping.

It is not unusual for us to travel in temperatures as low as 0 F.
Some of our Provincial parks here in Ontario are open all winter; and have camped in major snow storms in sub freezing temperatures without our plumbing system being compromised. We normally use electric heaters to heat the coach during cold weather until the temperature gets below freezing; then we use the furnace to make sure the basement is kept heated.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #8
KIX

I'm sure your RV is 12 volt. Most "pain vanilla" t-stats are 24v. If it's comparable with your house voltage it should work fine.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thermostat