Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2018, 08:12 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Moisture in refrigerator

I have a KitchenAid refrigerator that is collecting moisture on the ceiling of the refrigerator and dripping down on the shelves. Some of that moisture has frozen even with the temp. set at 38 degrees. The freezer is working fine. Didn't think to check the door seals but the doors open normally and i have not seen any water leaks. Anyone have a clue?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2018, 08:22 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Bill View Post
I have a KitchenAid refrigerator that is collecting moisture on the ceiling of the refrigerator and dripping down on the shelves. Some of that moisture has frozen even with the temp. set at 38 degrees. The freezer is working fine. Didn't think to check the door seals but the doors open normally and i have not seen any water leaks. Anyone have a clue?
I suspect that your evaporator fan is not working or the coils are iced up and ineffective. Usually this results is condensation on surfaces in the refrigerator and water collecting at the bottom. The water is not draining out during a defrost cycle or the defrost heater is not running correctly. Normally all moisture in the box will condense on the evaporator coils, which are much, much colder than your setpoint, but not in your unit. 38 degrees is also a little low for the reefer section and will result in areas in the box that are below freezing (near vents, etc). Your ice proves it.

The solution depends on if you have two evaporators (freezer and reefer) or controlled airflow from the freezer to the reefer section.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:49 PM   #3

Use a dollar bill to test the seals, if the bill pulls out easily they are not sealing well, if you meet some resistance they are OK. Place a battery fan inside the box to circulate air and reduce cold spots.
Above all, impress on your family the importance of deciding what is to be removed before opening a door. Opening a door then standing there deciding is not good practice. Absorption units are slow to recover, and every time a door is opened most of the cold air spills out, only to be replaced by warm humid air.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 01:09 PM   #4

Per KitchenAid Manual:

Int Interior moisture buildup
NOTE: Some moisture buildup is normal. Clean with a soft dry cloth.
*Room is humid -A humid environment contributes to moisture buildup. Only use the refrigerator in an indoor location, with as little humidity as possible.
*Doors are opened often or not closed completely -This allows humid air to enter the refrigerator.

*Minimize door openings, keep the doors fully closed, and make sure both doors are properly sealed.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
moisture, refrigerator