Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2015, 07:23 PM   #1

Motor home AC coils dirty

I have a 2009 Fleetwood Discovery 40X. My AC units are not performing as well as they should. I noticed after removing the inside dust screen, that the coils need to be cleaned. I'm wondering if anyone knows how to do this without getting water everywhere. Do I flush them from the inside or outside? It looks like mostly dust, and not algae. Thanks, Bobby
Wingbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2015, 07:41 PM   #2

If it looks mostly like dust, I would use a vacuum and bristle brush end. Move only in the direction if the fins gently. If the inside is dirty, the outside is too.
alank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:54 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Use air pressure from a compressor if you can, if not clean from inside to outside.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:26 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I use a vacuum with a long nozzle and brush on the end to try and get as much as possible. I do this a couple time a year.

Last year I had to replace a blower motor on my front AC and while I had the shroud off and sheet metal peeled back I took a compressed air line and blew it out from the top, blowing the dirt into the inside. I took some rags and placed them on top of the AC vent where the filter goes to catch the dirt.

The front AC cools better then the back one now.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:52 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Motor home AC coils dirty

I just did my Coleman Mach A/C's for the very first time. I went up to the roof and pulled off the covers. I straightened some bent air exchange fins with a flat blade screwdriver. I soaked the rear of the air exchange grill (other side was inaccessible) with a non-corrosive cleaner (I used diluted Simple Green Pro HD) and rinsed with a garden hose. The unit was sealed, so no water got inside. I then went inside and pulled off the air intake grills and washed them. I used a soft brush attachment on our upright vacuum extension and cleaned the inside air exchanges, being careful not to bend any fins. I replaced the filters with new media and buttoned everything back up. Huge difference.

Good luck!

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:27 AM   #6

Thanks everyone!
Old 08-11-2015, 06:43 AM   #7

You can buy a coil cleaner at Home Depot. I did mine from the roof.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:54 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would vacuum as well.. At least the first attempt Then brush into the vacuum inlet.

Finally A suggestion.. There are TWO sets of coils. the ones you looked at from INSIDE.. and the ones OUTSIDE you have to go up on the roof for that. Remove the outer cover (Shroud) and at least one inner cover.

you need not vacuum there .. I have used both water (Messy) and compressed air (Worked much better) and it made a **BIG** difference.

Also take a bucket, garden hose, long handled van wash brush (Soft bristle) or Mop, and some Spic & span up with you.

Yup.. Mop the "Floor" (Roof) and rinse.. Then wash the sides of the RV and see how well you "Clean up" on inproved A/C performance.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:38 PM   #9

Great info wa8yxm, thanks!
Old 08-13-2015, 11:19 AM   #10

Vacuum with a soft brush and then use self rinsing foaming coil cleaner. Get it cold and then turn it of and spray the coils with the foam and it will take the remaining dirt with it down the condensate drain.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:53 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you bend the fins you can purchase a fin comb at any A/C parts store. They come with an assortment of tips for different fin spacings.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:32 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniscw View Post
If you bend the fins you can purchase a fin comb at any A/C parts store. They come with an assortment of tips for different fin spacings.

I should have tried an HVAC store as you suggested. I bought a multi size fin comb at Harbor Freight. None of the combs fit the size of my coils. I found a video on YouTube, where a guy used a stiff scrub brush on his house A/C coils to straighten out the fins. I tried that and it worked rather well. There were a couple of spots where it required more work so I used a screwdriver to finish them off.

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:02 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I did mine I went topside, took the shroud off the AC and the sheet metal that covers the evaporator coils off and cleaned them. It might have possible to do it from inside but I had to use the cleaner recommended by Coleman and a water hose to get it clean.

There were a lot of sheet metal screws on the piece that covers the coils.