RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2015, 11:22 AM   #15
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Kwikee Steps Rubber Grommet

I think I paid about $8 the last time I bought it but it used to cost $.10 to make a phone call

http://www.delcity.net/store/Kwiklub...5k8aAhIH8P8HAQ

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2015, 11:33 AM   #16

Wd-40 didn't sound right looked like grease look on last page figure 2 that is the stop. Kent we need to print of I'll bring my lap top. Thanks everyone for your help
whem2fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:29 PM   #17

if you want a really good all-purpose lube get Corrosion-X. Used in marine environment for everything.
CorrosionX
Old 06-19-2015, 12:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I think I paid about $8 the last time I bought it but it used to cost $.10 to make a phone call

Kwiklube Spray Grease
and the pay phone booth had a phone book
Old 06-19-2015, 01:52 PM   #19

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
Wd-40 didn't sound right looked like grease look on last page figure 2 that is the stop. Kent we need to print of I'll bring my lap top. Thanks everyone for your help
What?

Laptop? For what, I have a computer at home? I don't understand. Do you mean that post about the bolts? I'm lost?

Kwikee responded and wanted to know the model and serial number, which of course, I don't have.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:08 AM   #20

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So to follow up, the problem I was having with the steps is that they felt "mushy" and looked like they weren't angled enough when extended. Couldn't figure it out.

Finally discovered the problem, the CAM STOPS were out of adjustment. (Thanks to all those on this thread that posted for your assistance)

Didn't need anything but 2 (two) 1/2" wrenches, and super Dave (Whem2Fish) came out and put the steps to right.

Then he followed up with the Kwikee Lube (a penetrant that when finished curing turns into a lubricant) on all the joints.

Steps stop where they are supposed to and feel strong as ever again! Not mushy and you can hear them kind of 'click' when they extend out fully. When they were out of adjustment, they extended a little further and looked like they were angling down a bit, plus felt very mushy.

What a difference!

Here's the Maintenance Manual References FYI Folks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150707_133920601.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	371.1 KB
ID:	99973   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150707_133930897.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	313.5 KB
ID:	99974  

Old 07-13-2015, 09:18 AM   #21

Glad you are happy
Old 07-13-2015, 10:13 AM   #22

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, thanks to all!

TRiker was right on the money.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:41 PM   #23

When mine sagged off to the left it was not the step adjustment but metal fatigue of the step box where the coach manufacturers studs for hanging the steps went through. If the steps are mushy I would double check the coach frames that the steps are mounted to for failed welds and cracks in the steel around the bolt heads where they go down through the coach framework from above. I had to section steel plate in from above to reinforce this area and stop the mushy step syndrome. Some times you need to remove the bottom most rubber stair tread inside the coach and cut out an access panel to get into this area.

Sometimes it will be due to running the coach on salted roads in the winter and rotting out the bin frames on either side of the step box.

I see both conditions on coaches for sale on dealer lots and most people just buy them up and try to adjust the steps themselves instead of fixing the bigger problem of the failing coach framework that the steps are bolted to.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:55 PM   #24

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm assuming and hoping Dave would have caught that when he was doing the work under there.

Also the cam adjustments he made immediately corrected what I could see visually then when I stepped on the steps, I was absolutely amazed at how firm they were again.

So hopefully, knock wood, the failing metal framework was/is not an issue on mine.

Thanks Neil. Appreciate the info.

Old 07-14-2015, 04:42 PM   #25

kent im here your frame is great no problems there been in the attic with new home security cameras
Old 07-16-2015, 10:12 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
I'm assuming and hoping Dave would have caught that when he was doing the work under there.

Also the cam adjustments he made immediately corrected what I could see visually then when I stepped on the steps, I was absolutely amazed at how firm they were again.

So hopefully, knock wood, the failing metal framework was/is not an issue on mine.

Thanks Neil. Appreciate the info.

I see too many Northern coaches coming down to Florida with this. If its not the cams its usually the coaches box frame. $20 worth of steel and a few bolts from Home Depot usually will correct the problem without the need to weld. Just some judicious grinding, priming, painting and such before placing the steel.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:50 AM   #27

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
When mine sagged off to the left it was not the step adjustment but metal fatigue of the step box where the coach manufacturers studs for hanging the steps went through. If the steps are mushy I would double check the coach frames that the steps are mounted to for failed welds and cracks in the steel around the bolt heads where they go down through the coach framework from above. I had to section steel plate in from above to reinforce this area and stop the mushy step syndrome. Some times you need to remove the bottom most rubber stair tread inside the coach and cut out an access panel to get into this area.

Sometimes it will be due to running the coach on salted roads in the winter and rotting out the bin frames on either side of the step box.

I see both conditions on coaches for sale on dealer lots and most people just buy them up and try to adjust the steps themselves instead of fixing the bigger problem of the failing coach framework that the steps are bolted to.
Neil, we just found out your problem is now my problem, there are cracks in those places you were saying..........he just found them last night when he came to re-inspect them, they were mushy on the right side again....so YOU were right all along.........
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1351.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	107032   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1352.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	107033  

Name:	IMG_1353.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	107034   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1354.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	107036  

Name:	IMG_1350.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	107037  
Old 09-16-2015, 09:29 AM   #28

Kent I have a welder set up if it's ok I'll bring a jack to remove it maybe tomorrow if that is ok

Tags
steps, kwikee