Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2015, 12:14 PM   #29

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
Kent I have a welder set up if it's ok I'll bring a jack to remove it maybe tomorrow if that is ok
Yessir!

This is something that must be fixed by removing the steps and welding you are sure Dave? Did you read Neal's post?

Ok, you are the boss, I just haven't ever read of anyone removing them to weld them. I'm depending on you to know what's what with this and that we shouldnt be just reinforcing from above too?

Are you sure we shouldn't just order a new set of steps (180.00) (see link) because of that rust or you will reinforce it all ok? I'm kind of in the dark cause I don't know about welding, removing the steps unit, etc, etc....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2015, 12:56 PM   #30

My steps were/are mushy also. I adjusted the cams to take out the slack but with then adjusted the steps make a loud snapping sound when they retract. They are solid. If I loosen them, they don't make the sound but are mushy. I've readjusted a dozen times to try and find a compromise. I'm concerned that something is going to break if I keep them tight. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:03 PM   #31

There is nothing wrong with the steps it is the mount Fleetwood welded to it il see if I have a pic
Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1442430154.559245.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  99.0 KB
notice it is welded to 2 inch square tubing
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:06 PM   #32

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
There is nothing wrong with the steps it is the mount Fleetwood welded to it il see if I have a picAttachment 107057 notice it is welded to 2 inch square tubing
Oh, I see now.

I am nervous about removing them and re-installing them but you know what's going on Dave so I trust you on that.

Chuckbear, we thought there was no cracks either a few months ago, but then he had me stand on the steps and then he saw the crack.

So even though (as we did) you don't see one, you may still have one....

I'm so nervous about this evidently those things are very heavy and a jack has to be used to remove them...and the electrical connections, and you know something that old is always gonna have more issues....Murphy's law....but maybe I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill, will see....

Dave you can take pics of every step so we can post it on the Fleetwood Forum because I'm sure I'm not the only 10+year old coach that is experiencing this problem.....
Old 09-16-2015, 02:16 PM   #33

I can do the cam adjustments and the steps are rock solid. But as I said, I'm concerned about the clunk sound they make when I retract them. It sounds like something is binding in the mechanism and that will usually mean something is going to break soon. It goes away if I slack off on the adjustment but then the steps have play in them. I can see it when I lay under the coach and someone steps on the steps. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:27 AM   #34

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
I can do the cam adjustments and the steps are rock solid. But as I said, I'm concerned about the clunk sound they make when I retract them. It sounds like something is binding in the mechanism and that will usually mean something is going to break soon. It goes away if I slack off on the adjustment but then the steps have play in them. I can see it when I lay under the coach and someone steps on the steps. Chuck
I too had a clunk sound a couple times on the last trip out when they retracted, and only a couple of times.....
Old 09-17-2015, 08:47 AM   #35

We had the same problem on our 2001 Winnebago Adventurer. The mounting bolts that hold the stairs started cracking through the mounting plate. I had to remove the stairs and weld up the cracks. In addition I made an 11 gauge plate that fit the bottom of the area the bolts were mounted to. I drilled clearance holes for the mounting bolts and welded the plate in place. Then just reattached the stairs to the bolts.

As I remember the stairs weren't all that heavy. I would guess in the 40 to 60 lb. range. Be sure to use plenty of rust solvent before attempting to remove the nuts from the captured bolts. I used PB Blaster. It smells terrible, but does a great job. If you put too much pressure on the nuts it may cause the bolts to break free from the plate. If that happens it'll me a nightmare to get the steps off.

The clunk you're hearing may be the block that's attached to the motor link when it hits either the stair or the stair frame. Our block actually broke because of the added stress of trying to extend and retract the stairs at such an angle. If there is any damage to the block just replace it.

When Ours broke I didn't realize why so I just repaired it It's aluminum and not worth repairing. I rewelded ours and it looked like new. However it broke a second time in another place because of the stress. That's when I realized the stairs were starting to detach from the mount plate. As I recall the block was less than $20.00 from Quickie. I spent more in time and aluminum rod than it cost to just replace it.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:19 AM   #36

For over forty years, I've used foaming chain lube designed for motorcycles. It goes on thin and a bit foamy and penetrates into the chain rollers, then turns to a grease. Any motorcycle shop would have it.
garyvont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:46 AM   #37

It does not have nuts it appears to be lag bolts I'll remove it today so I can get a good look at the crack. I am going to reinforce it Kent or myself will post pics
Old 09-17-2015, 11:39 AM   #38

Quote:
It does not have nuts it appears to be lag bolts I'll remove it today so I can get a good look at the crack. I am going to reinforce it Kent or myself will post pics
I'm sure there are many different ways to fasten the steps to the body. Ours had 4 carriage bolts with the heads tack welded to the mounting plate from the top. If yours has a bolt head exposed I would bet there are nuts welded to the mount plate. A lag screw would only be used where something is fastened to a wood surface. I hope that's not the case, but you never know.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:53 PM   #39

I truly hope there are nuts welded will know in 2 hours
Old 09-18-2015, 05:25 AM   #40

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1442575395.552310.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  105.7 KB
bolt went through the frame with nuts I'll hire a friend to get it back in now off to the welder
Old 09-18-2015, 06:53 AM   #41

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here are pics Dave took last night.

He got it out slick as a whistle.

There's a BIG difference in the steel thickness of the steps and the mount.

Fleetwood really did cheap out on that. The mounting frame should have been/will be now the same rated as the steps.

Oh well, onwards, this will be permanently fixed and Super Dave and his plasma welder will have it better than ever.

Thanks again SD (Super Dave) !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG951369 (2).jpg
Views:	95
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	107186   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG951370.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	107187  

Click image for larger version