Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2020, 09:56 PM   #1

My GFI hates my DVD

My GFI hates my DVD player. My IBEW friend agrees. I need a new DVD player.

The moral of the story is read your manuals.

Love camping at Crystal Beach TX, GOM. First time in my current MH, found ourselves sitting in the dark by the end of the third day but the problem went away when we went inland.

Also spend time near the ocean in the PNW. My GFI would trip when salt air was blowing our direction. Then this summer the GFI would not reset so I replaced it.

The new GFI would reset but periodically tripped. I check this site and started replacing outlets based on the usual suspects. Still tripped especially when watching DVDs on the TV.

discussed this with my IBEW electrician friend. He agreed that electronic devices often cause GFI to trip. Since I was boondocking, I ran an extension cord from the microwave which was not on the GFI circuit.

The GFI still tripped. If fact it would trip with nothing plugged into the GFIU protected outlets sooner or later. Having an extension cord coming out of the cabinet was getting a little irritating.

Then I noticed that the GFI did not trip when I was running the generator or later when I was plugged in at a campground. The common element for tripping appeared to be the inverter. My trace inverter manual listed GFI that were tested to be compatible.

Found one on line and had it sent to a relative I would be visiting. This GFI does not trip even when boondocking on the GOM and using the DVD.

This may just be an issue with older equipment. .
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2020, 08:10 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
My GFI hates my DVD player. My IBEW friend agrees. I need a new DVD player.

The moral of the story is read your manuals.

Love camping at Crystal Beach TX, GOM First time in my current MH, found ourselves sitting in the dark by the end of the third day but the problem went away when we went inland.

Also spend time near the ocean in the PNW. My GFI would trip when salt air was blowing our direction. Then this summer the GFI would not reset so I replaced it.

The new GFI would reset but periodically tripped. I check this site and started replacing outlets based on the usual suspects. Still tripped especially when watching DVDs on the TV.

discussed this with my IBEW electrician friend. He agreed that electronic devices often cause GFI to trip. Since I was boondocking, I ran an extension cord from the microwave which was not on the GFI circuit.

The GFI still tripped. If fact it would trip with nothing plugged into the GFIU protected outlets sooner or later. Having an extension cord coming out of the cabinet was getting a little irritating.

Then I noticed that the GFI did not trip when I was running the generator or later when I was plugged in at a campground. The common element for tripping appeared to be the inverter. My trace inverter manual listed GFI that were tested to be compatible.

Found one on line and had it sent to a relative I would be visiting. This GFI does not trip even when boondocking on the GOM and using the DVD.

This may just be an issue with older equipment. .
Could you please define that the bolded letters for this old septuagenarian. I tried to Google some of these but they just don't make sense:

GOM = Gom is a place with a very small population in the province of Morobe, Papua New Guinea which is located in the continent/region of Oceania???????

GFIU = Gibraltar Financial Intelligence Unit

I hate having to keep on going to my teenage granddaughter to ask her

Confused, is it your DVD player (at least I know that stands for Digital Versatile Disc) or your inverter causing the problems?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 08:27 PM   #3

IBEW.......International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (Union)

GOM.....Gulf of Mexico (reference the Crystal Beach TX)

PNW.....Pacific North West

GFIU.....Ground Fault Interrupter 'Utility' (Branch CB for Receptacles)???
**only guessing about this one
Nuke guys use different nomenclature then us Steamers LOL

Inverter and GFI incompatibility ...... resolved with a listed compatible GFI
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 09:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post

I hate having to keep on going to my teenage granddaughter to ask her:
You're a funny guy.

First off, GFIU was a typo. My friends belonged to the international brotherhood of electrical workers.

Would you like to hazard a guess what body of water Crystal Beach TX is located next to?

On my way east (hint) from the PNW I did stop in Kentucky. It will be sad if you do not get a chance to tell your granddaughter about your trip the PNW. Sent mine a post card of MT Rainier.

I understand your confusion about electrical stuff. We had a three letter acronym for that in the navy. Will not use it. You might ask a young lady.

My old inverter works fine. The problem was some GFI are not compatible with my inverter.

Intermittent electrical problems are had to find and could be serious. GFI also wear out and need to be replaced. That was the first thing I did.

Of course that did not solve the problem. So I looked for other causes.

In the end, replacing the GFI with a 20 year old model has resulted in no trips.
Old 11-04-2020, 10:44 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the tip! Could be very useful info for someone in the future!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote