Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2021, 02:48 PM   #1

My oven won't light. Grrrrr.

After finally getting the pilot light lit, I got a little too excited and was ready to make cookies when I discovered that the oven burner won't light. All of the stovetop burners work great so it's just the oven. It's an original Magic Chef oven from 1985. I have the manual, but it hasn't helped. Can anyone tell what the problem is? Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210803_204041612.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	338236
jennjann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2021, 03:05 PM   #2

I see you have a pilot light, thatís good. Most likely itís the thermocouple thatís bad. That should be the thing connected to the coiled tube. The thermocouple sits in the pilot flame and says it sees a flame and that its ok for the main valve to open (when you set the oven temp) and light the main burner.
Greater minds than mine may have a more thorough answer!
bobmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 03:13 PM   #3

YEP....Thermocouple is NOT sensing flame therefore no Flame Proving so No Main Gas Valve opening

I would disassemble and clean thermocouple off with some emery cloth
Soot/Carbon build up will inhibit thermocouple from operating correctly

Good Luck....as parts for that vintage are most likely no longer available
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 03:23 PM   #4

it's been my experiance

In most cases all thermacouples are the same. The only real difference is the length. Take the old one off and head off to Lowe's or any hardware and you should be able to find a proper fit. A few inches one way or the other probable won't make a difference. Or you could go to Camping World and pay triple.
jeff0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 03:26 PM   #5

Is this the thermocouple?Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210803_204041612~2.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	338238
Old 08-03-2021, 03:35 PM   #6

If the thermocouples us bad you wonít hold a pilot light without holding your finger in the valve. If itís a bad thermocouples the pilot will go out as soon as you release the button. If it hold a pilot, look elsewhere for the issue. Wasps and bug build nests and they can block these low pressure tubes.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 05:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by propchef View Post
If the thermocouples us bad you wonít hold a pilot light without holding your finger in the valve. If itís a bad thermocouples the pilot will go out as soon as you release the button. If it hold a pilot, look elsewhere for the issue. Wasps and bug build nests and they can block these low pressure tubes.

Agreed. THIS IS THE CORECT DIAGNOSIS.
PABO05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 06:19 PM   #8

oven wont light

i think on that oven the pilot heats a bulb that sits in the pilot flame. the pilot flame is controled buy the thurmostat on call for heat the pilot flame gets larger heating the bulb which opens the valve that controls gas to the oven burner.
hometool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:38 AM   #9

The pilot light doesn't get bigger when I turn the oven on so it doesn't look like it is reaching the place it needs to heat up. I tried adjusting the pilot light. That only increases the size of the stovetop pilot, but doesn't seem to affect the oven pilot. I did stick a bobby pin in the pilot light tube and didn't feel any blockage, but I probably need to take it apart to really check, correct?
Old 08-04-2021, 01:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometool View Post
i think on that oven the pilot heats a bulb that sits in the pilot flame. the pilot flame is controled buy the thurmostat on call for heat the pilot flame gets larger heating the bulb which opens the valve that controls gas to the oven burner.

This^^^ The main gas valve is opened by an increase of the pilot light depending on the oven temp setting. If the pilot does not get larger as you turn up the temp than the main gas valve won't open. Mine did the same thing and I had to replace the main gas valve.
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, oven