Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2023, 01:04 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...VDRVSR&PC=MOZW

This is clearing it up for me. Now I am wondering how the two legs from the generator are wound, in series would give 240 volts which I don’t have, so the windings are reversed? Allowing two 120v outputs but 0 volts between them?
Most generators have 2 coils that are wired in parallel for 2 120 volt outputs.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2023, 04:34 AM   #72

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenavy View Post
Edison did not invent the transformer. It was invented by Otto Blathy, Miksa Deri and Karoly Zipernowsky: https://edisontechcenter.org/Transformers.html

The theory of electromagnetic induction, which is the basis for transformer action was developed by Michael Faraday.

Edison was vehemently opposed to AC power systems.
opps , my history lesson evaded me.. thanks..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 04:46 AM   #73

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
YES in an RV very few gennys do the 240V thing,, well there is a gap lets say 2000 to lately,,,

I have a 4000 onan from 1996 that can go 240 and a 7500 onan commercial that is wired for 240 from a TV broadcast van...
There would be no advantage for a 4000 to run at 240 as the limits of 16 AMP per leg not advantage or gain..

I friend of mine has a class A that had a 10K with a 240v dryer,, He had it changed to a 12K and a remote wiring to plug for a 24ft trailer .. Trailer had a couple 240 cooking appliances and a welder he uses..
He has money to burn, as 10K to 12K was marginal but he said it was biggest that fit..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 06:16 AM   #74

Monaco Owners Club
I wonder what Mike Sokol would say about this entire thread since he is the RV GURU when it comes to electricity. Plus, he could answer everyone's questions in regard to generators also.

However, I don't believe he is a vendor member here since he manages his own website.
Surf Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 10:39 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf Fisher View Post
I wonder what Mike Sokol would say about this entire thread since he is the RV GURU when it comes to electricity. Plus, he could answer everyone's questions in regard to generators also.

However, I don't believe he is a vendor member here since he manages his own website.
Though he has many good articles, his understanding of batteries and charging is sorely lacking. Far from a guru.
Jkwilson1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 10:54 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
After reading it’s pretty straightforward to change it to 240 on the winding side. I would never do it because of the control side. Just nice to understand it.

Tags
50 amp, cat, service