Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2021, 07:45 AM   #1

Need A/C Soft Start

I am ready to buy and install a soft start for my AC on our 30a system. I see many choices in research, but I would like to get input from the forum. I rely on reviews from other RVers for best purchases.
Thanks,
terntes
terntes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2021, 08:41 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I'd like to see what others say as well. I'm posting a couple links of some that have gained my interest, especially the Micro-Air EasyStart Soft Start, wondering if anyone has installed that one.

Micro-Air EasyStart
(Four wire)

Installed on Dometic II starting with a 2,000 watt Honda Generator.

SoftStart RV
(Five wire)
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 07:42 PM   #3
NXR

I installed a pair of Micro-Air units a few weeks ago on my Atwood (Dometic) AC-1511 15K ducted air conditioner/heat pumps. They definitely eliminate the BANG of the compressor starting up but I have not had to use them for real yet on a 30-amp pedestal.

Why did I pick Micro-Air over SoftStartRV? Because Micro-Air has been in this business for a long time and also makes units for non-RV applications. Their technology should be vetted out and their support should be better.

SoftStartRV supposedly was started by an ex-employee of Micro-Air. If that's true it's not a bad thing because sometimes employees see a need not being met by their employer so they strike out on their own. But they're usually a one-trick pony.

Yet both company's are charging about the same amount of money, which was confusing to me. I would expect the newcomer upstart to be noticeably less expensive but it's not.

Micro-Air's web site says they are out of stock until July 8th. If you can wait that long, try discount code AIRSTREAM and it should give you $40 off each unit.

Ray
Old 06-29-2021, 05:07 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by terntes View Post
I am ready to buy and install a soft start for my AC on our 30a system. I see many choices in research, but I would like to get input from the forum. I rely on reviews from other RVers for best purchases.
Thanks,
terntes
Don't know about many choices. I have installed 2 separate Micro-Air Easy Start devices. It does what it says...and I ran 2 different TT's on the Honda eu2000. Micro-Air also is my choice for support as their digital remote control capable a/c thermostat is fantastic.
Old 06-29-2021, 08:17 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I’m also looking at a soft start system for my 2021 HR. Does anyone know if installing either of the soft start units will affect the warranty? That might be a deal breaker for me.
Old 06-29-2021, 11:45 AM   #6
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by blemon56 View Post
I’m also looking at a soft start system for my 2021 HR. Does anyone know if installing either of the soft start units will affect the warranty? That might be a deal breaker for me.
Will installing an EasyStart void a factory warranty? - Micro-Air, Inc.

Micro-Air offers a FREE Extended Warranty, worry no more! Please reference our EasyStart™ 364 RV Rooftop Soft Starter Double Down Extended Warranty for more information and coverage. If purchased, this Extended Warranty shall create certain rights and duties between the parties which shall be in addition to and shall not be exclusive of the Limited Warranty appearing on the Company website.

Apparently you need to fill out and send them some form for a free extended warranty.

If you purchase an EasyStart 364 for RV rooftop AC to install on an air conditioner which, at the time of purchase was less than six (6) years old, and during the two year period after you purchase your EasyStart 364, your RV rooftop air conditioner experiences any compressor motor failure not covered by the manufacturer’s warranty and caused by the EasyStart 364, Micro-Air will, at its option, repair or replace your compressor motor or rooftop air conditioning unit. This Warranty must be registered within 30 days of your purchase of the EasyStart 364 and must include your AC serial number.

https://www.microair.net/products/ea...14020945215572

It's only for the duration of your A/C's manufacturer warranty which is two years for our Atwood (Dometic). I was just outside of that when I installed the EasyStart so it's not available to me.

Ray
Old 06-29-2021, 02:44 PM   #7

I ordered the SoftStart, ships and delivers in 1 day, the MicroAir ships in 3 to 5 weeks! They both have excellent reviews and the price is the same. I will update upon installation and trial.
Thanks!
terntes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 05:50 PM   #8
NXR

Quote:
I ordered the SoftStart, ships and delivers in 1 day, the MicroAir ships in 3 to 5 weeks! They both have excellent reviews and the price is the same. I will update upon installation and trial.
Thanks!
Yeah, the current supply chain issues really suck. When I ordered my two Micro-Air units in May I had them in less than a week.

Ray
Old 06-30-2021, 07:14 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks!
There's plenty of reviews and updates out there already.
Old 06-30-2021, 09:08 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
RichKimball,

Quote:
Thanks,
terntes
The above is what the original poster requested.

His post, his request and any feedback would have the ability to be discussed with other members current in his thread.
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 11:15 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchstar411 View Post
RichKimball,

The above is what the original poster requested.

His post, his request and any feedback would have the ability to be discussed with other members current in his thread.
Let it be said...let it be so....so sayeth
Old 06-30-2021, 04:15 PM   #12

We went with the Micro Air Easy Start. We got the blue tooth version just because it's supposed to be easier to reset if necessary. We installed it and trained it a few weeks ago. This coming weekend will be the first to actually camp with it. We have a 30 amp coach, one 15k btu AC/Heat pump. We'll see if I can run the microwave at the same time
BYoshida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 04:57 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On a 30A service I would think so. The a/c will draw about 14amps. Not sure on the micro....but the Easy Start will for sure help with the startup draw.

I didn't know they had a BT version. I love their newly released dual zone thermostat which has BT and WiFi.
Old 06-30-2021, 05:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Thanks,
terntes
I'm not sure why people are paying so much for a soft/hard start.

Get this and check youtube for installation. Very easy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
PS56 is offline   Reply With Quote