Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2013, 05:42 AM   #1

Need Zapped! Air Conditioner Help

I keep my MH at work. The other day one of the transformers that power the building took a lightning strike. The strike fried the phone system and copier in the building in spite of having "whole electrical panel" spike protectors, in addition to being plugged into strip surge protectors. The MH charging system seems to be fine, recharged batteries after inverter drained them down. Everything seems to be working fine except the Penguin air conditioners connected to the Duo-therm thermostat. The thermostat seems to be working fine and can here a slight click noise from the ac units when turning on the thermostat. Unfortunately the units themselves do not come on in any settings. Might be a few days till I can get to this and don't know if I'm qualified but thought I would see if anyone had any ideas where to start looking. Thanks, Mark
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2013, 08:16 AM   #2

Hello, I would first start by checking the circuit beakers to the units.
Another idea would be to call penguins technical support and see if they can guide you through a troubleshooting procedure. Make sure to have a meter and screwdriver with you.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you have an energy management system check the fuse on the control board. Even if it is good you can reset the system by removing and re-installing the fuse.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I did start with the circuit breakers hoping for the easy fix unfortunately they were not tripped but I reset them anyway but no luck there. I do have the energy management system, where is the fuse? Thanks, Mark
Old 07-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #5
Community Administrator

As agreed by the op , I'm moving this to rv systems and appliances.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd check with my insurance company. They may be covered in your policy.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IT may be something fairly simple. A popped start capacitor for example. But I will say this.

When you take a direct strike, Which you did, there is no "Surge Protector" made that will protect you.. The only thing that MIGHT protect you is a very large distance between plug and socket.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
IT may be something fairly simple. A popped start capacitor for example. But I will say this.

When you take a direct strike, Which you did, there is no "Surge Protector" made that will protect you.. The only thing that MIGHT protect you is a very large distance between plug and socket.
Not sure. Transformer got hit between me and the neighbor. He had a $3500 insurance claim, my PI PT-50C simply dropped my power. Hmmmm
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #9

You could have a bad capacitor, bad control board, fried motor/compressor.
Have to start testing 120V wiring. See if you have 120V up to the cntrl brd. See if the control board even is putting power out to the capacitors. See if those are good. So on.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You can use this PDF to trouble shot if necessary look for the simple stuff first.
If its the 5 button we have that also.
You need to install a surge protector you got off easy this time could have lost all electronics in your coach.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:22 PM   #11

Thanks for the input guys. Here is my update. Thanks for the PDF 007 it at least gave me the nerve to start to troubleshoot this. I figured I probably had a fried circuit board in the units so I took the steps to begin to check out the circuit board and determined that no power was coming into the unit itself. Went back and double checked the breakers to make sure they weren't tripped which they weren't. I then decided I would pull the cover off the breaker box and determine if there was power going in and out of the breakers. So I pull the cover off and notice on the right hand side there is a circuit board that has 1 "automotive type" 3amp fuse in it that is clearly blown. Unfortunately I did not have a 3amp fuse so I replaced it with a 5amp fuse and went to check the air conditioners-still not working- so I come back to the breaker box and find that a little smoke and smell is coming from the top of that circuit board. Obviously I quickly pull that fuse, and the smoke stops. That was as far as I could get before having to get back to my job, so if anyone has any ideas I will be glad to listen. Thanks, Mark
Old 07-12-2013, 05:17 PM   #12

Do you have an Intellitec EMS system?
Just cause your breakers are on, check power coming out of them to be sure they're good.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #13

Yes I do have the Intellitec EMS system and I hadn't thought about it cutting the power to the units. My guess is that the EMS is blocking the power because I think the EMS circuit board got zapped. I have power leaving the breaker box and going into the EMS circuit board and really haven't been able to trace it from there. The circuit board is the one that I described above with a blown fuse and then it started smoking when I replaced the fuse. I haven't had a chance to look at the intellitec info I have, (or website) to see if there are any troubleshooting tips. I am probably at the point of either paying someone that knows what they are doing or just buying a new board and hoping that replacing it will solve my problem. Of course if anyone has any ideas I would be glad to listen. Thanks, Mark
Old 07-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc99 View Post
Yes I do have the Intellitec EMS system and I hadn't thought about it cutting the power to the units. My guess is that the EMS is blocking the power because I think the EMS circuit board got zapped. I have power leaving the breaker box and going into the EMS circuit board and really haven't been able to trace it from there. The circuit board is the one that I described above with a blown fuse and then it started smoking when I replaced the fuse. I haven't had a chance to look at the intellitec info I have, (or website) to see if there are any troubleshooting tips. I am probably at the point of either paying someone that knows what they are doing or just buying a new board and hoping that replacing it will solve my problem. Of course if anyone has any ideas I would be glad to listen. Thanks, Mark
Magic smoke has escaped. Need new board.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote