Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2022, 01:38 PM   #1

Rexhall Owners Group
New non-convection microwave

Looking for replacement of convection microwave. Pulled ours out and will be replacing with a non-convection microwave. Current unit is a Sharp that has 850 watts of power. It is secured very well. But the existing mountings will not work with a standard microwave. I'll be adding a floor to the opening and setting the microwave on the floor. But I still need a way to secure it.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

The other question is how much power. The sharp has 850 watts which is pretty low as far as microwave go. I'd like 1,000 or more but don't want to overload the circuit. Any suggestions on maximum power?
garyb1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2022, 02:23 PM   #2

I replaced the Sharp convection microwave with a standard size Whirlpool. No issues with upping the wattage. I'm on 30 amp, so I have to watch how much power I draw anyways.
VolDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 04:10 PM   #3

I did exactly the same thing, and securing the new microwave was pretty easy. It has worked great for several years and over 10,000 miles on some occasionally horrible roads. It's very solid and secure.

I removed the old microwave and bracket, and built a wide shelf for the bottom of the opening out of some clear fir boards I had in the shop because when polyurethaned, it was very similar in color to our cabinets. I did have to dowel and glue two boards to get the width I needed, but two separate boards fastened in place would have worked too. After marking where the microwave feet would sit, I make four wood donuts with a circle cutter, and glued them to the shelf so the feet would sit inside. I could have just used a spade bit to drill some recessed holes too. Then, I went to a local Ace Hardware to their rope section where they sold nylon strapping by the foot along with various fittings. Picked up enough strap to go over the microwave, and a buckle too. Cut the strap in half, added the buckle, and cut to length with enough extra to go slightly under the sides of the microwave and secured the ends with fender washers and screws. You can't see the strap without looking for it because the black strap matches the black microwave sides.

To cover all the holes on the back wall, I used 1/4" plywood and covered it in fabric to match our Safari themed interior and filled in the the recess inside the top of the opening with plywood. On the right side where there was pocket of sorts, I added some wood shelves with thin fronts to make the area a spice rack. It's worked great. I also ran some wires up from the under cabinet light and added a small LED automotive accent light. I chose a smaller microwave which also left room on the right for placing stuff while parked.

One thing I decided to do for safety, because the microwave is above our propane stove, was to make a heat shield for the bottom of the shelf. Found a precut piece of sheet metal at Home Depot that was the right size, along with 6 1/4" nylon spacers and screwed this to the bottom of the shelf after spraying the sheet metal with flat black heat resistant BBQ paint. The sheet metal extend just about 1/4" out from the front edge of the shelf.

First photo shows how I removed the very heavy convection microwave, the second, the opening after the bracket was removed, and the third, the finished project.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SafariMicrowaveSwapRemoval.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	375552   Click image for larger version

Name:	SafariMicrowaveSwapBareOpening.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	375554  

Click image for larger version

Name:	SafariMicrowaveSwapComplete.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	375555  
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 06:10 PM   #4

GaryB1st-

Here's a link to a search (at a retailer) of over-the-range microwaves that are the same size as the Sharp you are replacing. You might want to look at any of them to see if they would work, in addition to the counter-top models you've already considered. Might save you some carpentry work.

Please confirm for yourself the suitability of any of the results of that search.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 11:14 AM   #5

Rexhall Owners Group
Tom, thanks for the post and pix. Nice work and similar to what I plan on doing. I was thinking of some kind of heat shield but didn't consider heat from the stove. Good idea. I haven't removed the rear mounting bracket yet. Ours is similar to yours but the 2 v-shaped brackets the long bolts screw into are closer together. So I planned on positioning the microwave between them. Now I'm thinking of just removing it. It will give me a bit more space. I also plan on making pull out spice racks for both sides so the back wall likely won't be visible.
Old 09-06-2022, 11:18 AM   #6

Rexhall Owners Group
Mark, we're going with a smaller unit similar to what Tom has. Just so you know, the link to Howards doesn't show any models.
Old 09-06-2022, 04:56 PM   #7

I went to an inverter based 950W Panasonic microwave. Have been running it on a 900W inverter for 7 years (on level 5 or below).

It fit the faceplate that came with the original microwave. Some glued down wood strips keep it from sliding back. The faceplate holds it down on those bridge approaches.

Love the ability to turn it down to a low level with continuous even heat for warming left-overs.
https://hclarkx.slickpic.com/gallery/?viewer
hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
microwave