Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2015, 07:50 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Wow! That's a quiet generator! Yea, there's definitely smoke, too. Bummer. \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2015, 08:50 PM   #16

Be certian to keep copies of everything!

Copy yourself on all emails sent.

Forward copies of all received to yourself.

Keeps copies in your sent box.

Register unit with Cummins and follow up with tech support to be sure it is in the system and confirm exactly what you need to do if anything or watch for.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:55 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
How long was it running before you took the video? Was it cold, or had it been running for a while. Was there any load on it when you shot the video?
Old 02-20-2015, 09:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
How long was it running before you took the video? Was it cold, or had it been running for a while. Was there any load on it when you shot the video?
It had been running a while, maybe 20 - 30 min when I took the video and it was under heavy load (rear heat pump on, convection oven and elect water heater on). I ran it for at least 2 hours and it was doing the same thing
Old 02-20-2015, 09:21 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
did you or they just do a sanity check on the airfilter.

mine will slight black smoke once in a blue moon when the load jumps

either way its a young genny, be polite and get em to fix it
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:00 PM   #20

Keep a close eye on oil level, perhaps even mark it with a scribe after it's been off overnight, then monitor that level each morning. That much smoke has to have a source, and I doubt its because it's new.
What brand and weight oil is in the unit?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 12:58 AM   #21

Some questions...

What is different from when cummins tested good and you tested smoky?

Ambient temprature (in shop compared to outside)
Any doors or access covers open?
Time of day?
Anything else?

If cold it may not run as well as warm.

Our real old bobcat hates to start in cold and smokes like a chimney until it warms up so it may be a weak injector or something relating to temperature maybe.

Being new should not be excuse as new not allowed to smoke anymore...gvt funny about that nowadays
Old 02-21-2015, 07:40 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Have you called back to Cummins South where you had it to inform them that it had started smoking again? I would and make sure that they noted and the service work papers that they had from the last visit that is had started smoking again. Do you have a power display so that you can see at what % of load or AMPS that it started smoking. It sounded like maybe there was not sufficient load on it at Cummins to cause it to smoke, because at home you added a 3rd load draw on the system. It could very well be that there is a crankcase breather issue that doesn't show up until under very heavy load, and if the rings are not fully seated you'll get blow-by and this could be causing the oil smoke.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:50 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
It could very well be that there is a crankcase breather issue that doesn't show up until under very heavy load, and if the rings are not fully seated you'll get blow-by and this could be causing the oil smoke.
Typically, ring seating is an issue with the compression rings, not the oil control ring. Blow-by (of the compression rings) will pressurize the crankcase and create an oil filled vapor. If the generator has a system that vents this pressure into the intake to burn the vapors (think emissions) possibly this is the source of the blue smoke. A quick check of the intake down stream of this vent would reveal if this is the problem or not. If not, then crankcase oil is clearly getting past the oil control ring for some reason. Either way it is a big deal on a new engine.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:35 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
Have you called back to Cummins South where you had it to inform them that it had started smoking again? I would and make sure that they noted and the service work papers that they had from the last visit that is had started smoking again. Do you have a power display so that you can see at what % of load or AMPS that it started smoking. It sounded like maybe there was not sufficient load on it at Cummins to cause it to smoke, because at home you added a 3rd load draw on the system. It could very well be that there is a crankcase breather issue that doesn't show up until under very heavy load, and if the rings are not fully seated you'll get blow-by and this could be causing the oil smoke.
I sent the service guy an email with a link to the video. Before I had taken the coach to Cummins I had seen it smoke with the heat pump and oven running. I don't know how many amps it was drawing before it became visible.

I'm sure they'll take care of it. Its brand new, less than 2 months old. Its just one of those "Could not duplicate" things that come up all the time in any kind of diagnostics. I was there and there was no smoke under load so I can't blame them. I turned the generator on and put the loads on. Next time I'll run everything. My only concern is if they actually see the smoke and tell me its not a problem. Then I'll have an issue on my hands.

I know I'm not the only person out here with a diesel generator and I'm sure someone would have chimed in by now saying "oh yea, they all do that for the first 50 hours and then stop"
Old 02-21-2015, 09:02 AM   #25

What you need to do now is figure out how to make it smoke so you can demonstrate it.

If it is worse at a time of day due to ambient temp then make sure that is when you test for shop.

How many electric heaters can you borrow?

That would be easy was to place a controlled high load...okay witg 4 but smokes with 5...
Old 02-21-2015, 09:20 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Try loading it and let it work for eight hours straight.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:04 AM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
Try loading it and let it work for eight hours straight.
Not a bad idea at all. For whatever reason it is smoking, you probably can't make it worse by running it, and may a long session under load will seat everything, if that is what is causing the problem to begin with.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:19 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Here is the Onan Generator Engine Break-in Procedure and Exercising Procedure as stated in my owners manual. I have the 7.5 KW Onan.

Based on your previous posts it appears that you had followed the procedures properly.

BREAKING IN A NEW ENGINE

Proper engine break-in on a new genset or on one
with a rebuilt engine is essential for top engine performance
and acceptable oil consumption. Run the
genset at approximately 1/2 rated power for the first
2 hours and then at 3/4 rated power for 2 more
hours. See LOADING THE GENSET (Page 8).
Proper engine oil and oil level are especially critical
during break-in because of the higher engine temperatures
that can be expected. Change the oil if not
appropriate for the ambient temperatures during
break-in. See ENGINE OIL RECOMMENDATIONS