Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2022, 04:46 PM   #1

New Refrigerator cooling fans

I ordered a set of fans for the back of my refrigerator to replace the one that there now and it making a lot of racket....My question is: My upper vent opening(on a slide) has a piece of thin plywood or paneling covering about 2/3rd's or so of the opening. I watched several videos on replacing the fans, but only one had the baffle in place and he cut it out. I am thinking about cutting a place in it for each fan, and face them blowing out. But all the video's I have watched shows either the fans mounted on the vent cover or down in the cavity blowing air up...Input please...

2015 Chevy 2500HD 4x4,2008 Crossroads Cruiser M29CK, 2008 HD Ultra Classic Trike
pddgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2022, 06:26 PM   #2

The 'baffle' is RV MFGs poor attempt and directing the airflow/draft up thru condenser FINS due to too wide of clearance from backside of fridge to outer wall

Baffle is NEEDED.

Fans should be Mid-center of fridge just above absorber tube bundle
Next best place is at upper vent pulling air up thru lower vent. across backside then pushing the hot air out upper vent

Brand/Model of fridge??
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 07:33 AM   #3

Old-Biscuit provides the best advice.

The space behind the absorption refrigerator is an active part of the cooling. Its shape determines how well the refer works.

Installation instructions for "make and model" often provide drawings for what is required. Search on-line. Follow instructions.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 08:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
The 'baffle' is RV MFGs poor attempt and directing the airflow/draft up thru condenser FINS due to too wide of clearance from backside of fridge to outer wall

Baffle is NEEDED.

Fans should be Mid-center of fridge just above absorber tube bundle
Next best place is at upper vent pulling air up thru lower vent. across backside then pushing the hot air out upper vent

Brand/Model of fridge??
Sorry about not listing make and model...Norcold N811FRT

2015 Chevy 2500HD 4x4,2008 Crossroads Cruiser M29CK, 2008 HD Ultra Classic Trike
Old 07-01-2022, 09:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pddgm View Post
Sorry about not listing make and model...Norcold N811FRT
Installation Instructions
Compare yours
See pg 4 - 6 with corresponding diagrams on pg 14 - 17

http://techsupport.pdxrvwholesale.co...ion-Manual.pdf
Old 07-01-2022, 02:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Installation Instructions
Compare yours
See pg 4 - 6 with corresponding diagrams on pg 14 - 17

http://techsupport.pdxrvwholesale.co...ion-Manual.pdf
Well, since all I am doing is replacing the fan that is there with two, not sure what all that has to do with it, since I am not an engineer I will probably just leave the baffle in place and mount the fans either horizontal on it blowing up, or mount them on the vent cover itself. Not going to remodel the rear of the fridge... Thanks for the info...

Old 07-01-2022, 02:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Well, since all I am doing is replacing the fan that is there with two, not sure what all that has to do with it, since I am not an engineer I will probably just leave the baffle in place and mount the fans either horizontal on it blowing up, or mount them on the vent cover itself. Not going to remodel the rear of the fridge... Thanks for the info...
Just posting info so you can understand WHY baffles are needed and where they should be.

But you can choose not to open/read the link.
Old 07-02-2022, 05:26 AM   #8

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Dometic and Norcold RV Fridge Fans

Quote:
I ordered a set of fans for the back of my refrigerator to replace the one that there now and it making a lot of racket....My question is: My upper vent opening(on a slide) has a piece of thin plywood or paneling covering about 2/3rd's or so of the opening. I watched several videos on replacing the fans, but only one had the baffle in place and he cut it out. I am thinking about cutting a place in it for each fan, and face them blowing out. But all the video's I have watched shows either the fans mounted on the vent cover or down in the cavity blowing air up...Input please...
Fans "making a lot of racket" is a common issue, often, it is due to the build of the fan. Our blowers, we cannot hear them unless a window is open in our RV.

"baffle in place and he cut it out"
Leave the baffle in place, do not cut it out because it is necessary for natural convection. If the fans fail, which all electrical/mechanical equipment will, you have to have the baffle, otherwise your boiler will overheat faster than you can say darn it! Yes, this is just one more cause of the boiler on the fridge overheating

Let us know if we can be of further help
Old 07-02-2022, 09:24 AM   #9

Quote:
The Norcold N600 in ours is installed in the slide. It had worked fine until a few years ago when we happened to camp in 95° weather with sun shining on that side for most of the day. The OEM fan ran constantly during the day. The frig worked but inside freezer temp wasn't keeping the ice cream firm.

Got home and checked, found that the top of the baffle was situated a bit farther from the condenser than the install manual stated it should be. Adjusting it to specs definitely made a difference.

I did add a thermostatically controlled fan later but I'm not really sure how necessary that was.
Old 07-02-2022, 11:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridge Defend View Post
Fans "making a lot of racket" is a common issue, often, it is due to the build of the fan. Our blowers, we cannot hear them unless a window is open in our RV.

"baffle in place and he cut it out"
Leave the baffle in place, do not cut it out because it is necessary for natural convection. If the fans fail, which all electrical/mechanical equipment will, you have to have the baffle, otherwise your boiler will overheat faster than you can say darn it! Yes, this is just one more cause of the boiler on the fridge overheating

Let us know if we can be of further help
Thanks for the input, I am pretty sure I can get the fans in with out removing it....The one in there now can be heard when I am sitting outside. The new ones arrived today, but will be next week before I get the chance to look at it and see where and how to mount them...

Old 07-02-2022, 11:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
The Norcold N600 in ours is installed in the slide. It had worked fine until a few years ago when we happened to camp in 95° weather with sun shining on that side for most of the day. The OEM fan ran constantly during the day. The frig worked but inside freezer temp wasn't keeping the ice cream firm.

Got home and checked, found that the top of the baffle was situated a bit farther from the condenser than the install manual stated it should be. Adjusting it to specs definitely made a difference.

I did add a thermostatically controlled fan later but I'm not really sure how necessary that was.
Ours is working ok, freezes meat, ice, etc just fine. Ice cream in a container will stay frozen but ice cream sandwiches for some reason won't freeze solid. The fridge section get's everything nice and cold with the controls on 2... The fan is just noisy and I figure is going to quit sooner or later.

Old 07-16-2022, 05:10 PM   #12

I used my phone camera to locate the location of the fan on the back of my refrigerator, It is just below the edge of the upper opening. I can't access it without removing the baffle(or at least most of it. I am going to make a removable baffle by cutting a piece of luan plywood the same size as the opening and same height as the one in their now, will screw them together. Will this be a satisfactory replacement for the one in there now. Will be recessed back the thickness of the luan. Two fans to replace one so should move lots of air...

Tags
cooling, fan, refrigerator