Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2006, 07:14 PM   #1

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and owning a travel trailer. Is their a website that explains about using the holding tanks, emptying the potty holding tanks, etc...

We purchased our travel trailer from a private owner. I'm just so excited not to have a pop-up anymore but I want to become more familiar with our travel trailer.

Thanks so much for any assistance.
T. Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2006, 07:14 PM   #2

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and owning a travel trailer. Is their a website that explains about using the holding tanks, emptying the potty holding tanks, etc...

We purchased our travel trailer from a private owner. I'm just so excited not to have a pop-up anymore but I want to become more familiar with our travel trailer.

Thanks so much for any assistance.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:58 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
T. Lynn, Welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us. Congratulations on your new to you travel trailer. Keep the tank valves closed and add a few gallons of water into the toilet. You will want to use toilet tissue that breaks down quickly and most of the time a septic tank approved one is fine. To test you can use a masson jar (or similar) and put a piece in it with water and give a little shake. If it breaks down it is fine. You also may want to use something for odor in the tank; be sure to use a non-formaldihyde base chemical. We use a simple enzyme base and there are many brands and scents. Allow the Black tank (toilet) to get at least 2/3 full before dumping. If you are only 1/4 full and want to dump keep adding plenty of water to get to 2/3 and then dump by connecting the sewer hose to both the tank outlet and the sewer connnection and pulling the larger of the dump valves first. This is the Black tank valve. After you hear the end of the contents pass thru you can rinse through the toilet (a hose or better yet a toilet wand with spining nozzle) will rinse the tank while the valve is still open. Close the valve and ad a few gallons of fresh water. Now you can dump teh gray tank (smaller of the valves) and this will also help rinse out the sewer hose. There are for lack of a better woor chemicals fo both the black and gray tanks. I would recommend a coconut base lubricant to be added after dumping and valves closed to keep the rubber seals in good shape. This can be done a few times a year. Always keep water standing in the bowl of the toilet. A little cocnut oil in here is good too. The idea is to keep the seals wet so they don't dry out and crack. There are many things to learn and we all have had to so don't feel bad if you need to ask more questions. You will find we are a group of fun loving RVers that like to help out where we can. Good luck and stay safe.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:06 PM   #4

Thanks so much.

I have printed out your reply for future reference. I did purchase RV toilet paper at Walmart very cheap so at least I learned something beforehand. Our TT is a 1992 Scotty and it's really clean and looks brand new. We've gotten so many compliments on it already and we haven't gone camping with it yet. Our friends love it so I can image what it's going to be like at the campground (party in our camper? - yeah right). Everyone else we camp with have tents but now we hear some are shopping for pop-ups. That's what we graduated from. Tired of all the hassle...

I noticed your signature, and I have a Shih Tzu as well named Misty. I use to have a cat named Muffin though.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:20 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
TLynn,glad to have you here and my wife started out camping many years ago with a borrowedSerro Scotty. Our camping started with a borrowed tent, then we bought a tent andfinally a pop up. Two travel trailer, two class A', a class C and we have arrived at our present 5er.

hope you continue to enjoy camping and RVing.

Ken