RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2014, 05:46 PM   #15

Chboone, I just looked at the specs of the T 1275.. damn. I could have got those. The ah rating is way better, and weighs almost 20 lbs more. And I think I paid more for the tmh's. :(
crockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2014, 08:13 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've been looking at 12V deep cycles to replace my two Costco GC2 batteries when they die. My batteries, two 6V and one 12V for the chassis are under the entry step. The box isn't big enough for four 6V batteries, but it will fit four of the 27TMH. I could fit four 27TMH and possibly the T1275 in the box and relocate the chassis battery.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000, 1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:43 PM   #17

Yeah. I have 4 group 27's for the coach, and a 8D for the chassis. . Big heavy battery, I think it's 150+ pounds.

I was seriously thinking about having a battery tray made for 4 T 105's. .. but I mostly have hookups and boondock probably 2 wks a year. I'm just tired of replacing batteries every 1-2 years.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:46 PM   #18

If you are replacing in 2 years something is not right.

Make sure you have a good voltmeter and search battery voltage to get some good information thrn start looking at your power system in your spare time.

I will bet your converter voltage is maybe 14 volts which will cook batteries.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:04 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought a box of Trojans last week at the store and batteries were not included.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 10:25 PM   #20

Hahaha. .lmao 😂 trojan batteries.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:34 PM   #21

Tq60, I have the xantrex with a charger. I still have the old converter, but don't plug it in. I thought you don't need two chargers. I plugged it in and it's loud. But, I don't think I have a need for it..

At first, I ran generator, but batteries wouldn't charge. I wasn't setting remote panel right. Got that right last year, as we don't dry camp much, mostly thousand trails, or others either hookups
Old 11-27-2014, 11:10 PM   #22

Whatever is charging your batteries will have an output voltage.

Simply leave it plugged in and check the voltage every day until same for 3 days as batteries may be charging and you want the fully charged or floating voltage.

Look up the data sheet for your batteries to confirm correct voltage and you can use 13.5 as a rough estimate until you confirm what the sheet states.

Please search this forum for battery charging as there is about a weeks worth of reading....
Old 11-28-2014, 02:12 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockwood View Post
... I'm using cheap float chargers for now. I'm gonna order the genius 4 bank charger this weekend. I talked to NOCO, and they said the G4 will work fine.

The inverter is a xantrex freedom 458 2500watt.. it's a 3 stage charger with 130 amps.

See:
http://www.chargingchargers.com/tutorials/charging.html

Please get a turkey baster type hydrometer to verify exactly what your charge status is. Dip the batts each month during the season and a week prior to boondocking to confirm charge and check water.

The Genius charger will work during storage when bulk is set to 14.8v when used on an individual batt at 10 amps per or your entire 460 AH "bank" at 40 amps. That is a C/11.5 charge rate, considered slow but workable for an RV.

The Xantrex is marginal for charging your Trojans when on hookups or on your genset. Even though the converter section sends 14.4v maximum for a bulk charge does not mean 14.4v gets to the batts. Check with a voltmeter for wire loses. Also, ensure your panel is set up for the new batts and I suggest you run an equalize each spring.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:27 AM   #24

Thanks for your reply bend or.. I bought a hydrometer from the battery shop. I've used it some on the chasis battery.
I read the manual for the inverter, and it says 130amp charger.. that's not enough?

I also, haven't been using the converter, because the guy that installed the inverter said I didn't need it. I'm not to sure about

that now. My batteries have never held up.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:37 AM   #25

There is no reason to use the old charger. Your Freedom 458 contains a converter that should come on whenever you are hooked up to shore power or your genset. Your 458 panel lets you set the parameters on the converter. Therefore, you have been using the converter if that section of the 458 is hooked up to the batts. If it is not hooked up, have it wired to the batts with at least 4 gauge wire to conserve volts. 2 gauge, all copper, would be better.

Concerning amps, they are only half of the power equation of charging batts. In Handybob's words:

"While I’d like to keep this simple, there are a few basics that you must understand in order to make your system work. Here is my version of how DC (direct current) electricity works. On one hand we have air pressure; on the other hand electricity. If you want to air up a truck tire you force a volume of air (cubic feet) into it with pounds per square inch (pressure) of air until it is full. It is easy to get the first few cubic feet of air in; you can even do it with a hand pump. The fuller it gets though, the more pressure you need. You can’t get it up to 80 pounds unless your hose puts out more pressure than that. An air hose with 75 pounds of pressure in it will never fill a tire to 80 pounds. Batteries are not sponges that soak up amps. They are a lot more like tires that need to be filled up with air pressure. You need volts (pressure) to get the amps (volume) to go into the battery. Unless you have enough volts to push the amps into the battery, they just won’t go in. Batteries self regulate the amps they will accept depending on level of charge and voltage. The amps going in will drop as the battery fills, and if the voltage is not high enough the battery will not be charged all the way up before the amps taper off. Trying to charge a battery with too few volts is just like trying to air up a tire with too few pounds of pressure. It just doesn’t get the battery all the way full. "

The battery status lights on the 458 panel are deceiving in providing too little detail especially while boondocking. Might look into a battery monitor to keep better track of AH goes out and AH goes in:

http://www.bestconverter.com/Trimetr...l#.VHoIavwtCRs
Old 11-29-2014, 11:43 AM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by crockwood View Post
I read the manual for the inverter, and it says 130amp charger.. that's not enough? My batteries have never held up.
if you've been using Marine/RV thin plate deep cycle batteries and you boondock a lot and draw them down to 50% of charge they will die an early death. You're new batteries should last for several years if maintained properly. You can calculate how long it takes to recharge your batteries with your charger using the below formula. For example if you use 45 DC Amps for 5 Hours.

45 DC Amps 5 Hrs.Runtime 1.2 Inefficiency Rating = 270 Amp-Hours

270 Amp-Hours 130 Amps Inverter/Charger Rating = 2 Hours Recharge time.

However, the 2 hour recharge time may only get you to 90% capacity. You can check them with the hydrometer. Easiest way to keep track of your batteries is install a Trimetric battery monitor.
Bogart Engineering | manufacturer of the TriMetric battery monitor which measures volts, amps and amp-hours for battery systems

If the charger is a good quality 3 or 4 stage charger is is set correctly for the batteries you shouldn't have any battery problems for some time. Use the hydrometer at least once a month to see if all the cells are balanced if they need to be equalized.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000, 1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 06:53 PM   #27

Bend Or, thanks for your reply. The tire analogy is a good one, makes sense to me. I believe the charger is hooked up to the batteries, because on shore power, they would go to green on the panel.. at first, I didn't know how to use the panel, separate manual. I called xantrex and they walked me through the setup. You adjust for ah of battery and type. Maybe that monitor would help. I'll check it out. .thanks, Chris
Old 11-29-2014, 06:56 PM   #28

Chboone, thanks for your reply. Yeah, I'm thinking the marine batteries along with not charging correctly killed them. Some kind of monitor is probably a good idea. Gonna take a look at one.. thanks, Chris

Tags
batteries