Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2020, 07:20 PM   #1

Newbie to RVing, having furnace problems

Good evening fellow RV and Travel Trailer owners! If I'm posting this in the wrong forum, please direct me to the correct one, but I'm needing some help with a furnace issue I'm having in my 2005 Dutchmen Lite 27B. It has an Atwood Model 8525-IV-DCLP 25,000 btu furnace. When running on either battery, shoreline or generator, the furnace comes on like it should when the thermostat is set to the heat setting and the temp increased, but there is only slightly luke warm air coming out of the floor vents. There appears to be good air volume coming out of the vents, doesn't appear to be any blockages or anything unhooked. The outside exhaust is warm, but not hot enough to burn your hand when placed in front of it. Turned thermostat up to 80 and let it run for 30-40 mins with no change in temps at either location. Both LP tanks are full. I have considered ordering a new LP regulator to see if that corrects the issue since the current one is the original and it's almost 16 yrs old. Or replacing the wall thermostat, both relatively inexpensive parts on Amazon. Anyone have any suggestions and/or clues on what direction I should go? Thanks in advance!
Rob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2020, 07:58 PM   #2

I would inspect the controller board for corrosion. They have an issue where water collects under the board. There is a mod to mount it more vertical to get it out of the water.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:39 PM   #3
US1

Setting the T stat at a higher temp isnt going to make the discharge or exhaust air hotter.
Old 10-25-2020, 09:09 PM   #4

The first action is a complete cleaning and tune-up. After that, if the furnace isn't operating properly whoever works on it has a basis from which to diagnose the problem.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:45 PM   #5

Replace that old Main LP Reg

Furnace is firing off but propane flame is NOT hot
Exhaust port should be HOT (most have embossed CAUTION: HOT)

As suggested a good thorough cleaning of burner assembly would also help. It is well overdo ...

Exploded Parts Lists
https://pdxrvwholesale.com/products/...iv-tune-up-kit
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:54 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
yea, that exhaust should be HOT.
You either have a bad regulator, or your burner is clogged.

-J
miatawnt2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:06 PM   #7

If you have a propane hot water heater does it have a good flame? Same with a gas cook stove. If flame on both of those items appears good, you likely have adequate propane pressure - generally about 11" of water column is normal. I would look at the propane orifice in the furnace. You are getting some heat so there has to be flame, but maybe the orifice is partially plugged limiting the volume of propane to less than what it should be.
letsride4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:32 AM   #8

Thermostats don't actually control heat output, they only tell the heat to run.

If its 60° in the RV and you turn it up to 65, 70, 75 or 90° it still just turns on the furnace.
It will let the furnace heat the place, into it reaches what ever temp you set it to and then switch it off.

Higher setting doesn't increase the heat output.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 08:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsride4 View Post
If you have a propane hot water heater does it have a good flame? Same with a gas cook stove. If flame on both of those items appears good, you likely have adequate propane pressure - generally about 11" of water column is normal. I would look at the propane orifice in the furnace. You are getting some heat so there has to be flame, but maybe the orifice is partially plugged limiting the volume of propane to less than what it should be.
11"WC is 0.39 psi

10" WC is 0.36 psi
**(stove/oven have a separate lower pressure set regulator under the stove top that controls to 10"WC)

You can NOT visually see the difference between 0.39 psi & 0.36 psi

Furnace will fire and stay lit at 10"WC but flame temp will be insufficient to effectively heat the air flowing thru heat exchanger

Water heater will heat the water with 10"WC because water is stagnant (not flowing)...just take longer then it would with 11"WC

Change out that OLD LP Regulator
Plus some 'housekeeping' on that furnace burner assembly
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:42 AM   #10

Thanks everyone for all the ideas on what to check. I did manage to get the burner out of the furnace, had some rust on it but not too bad, cleaned it up and checked for any holes, all is good there. Have since winterized and covered up the trailer for the winter, I will replace the LP regulator in the spring and see if that takes care of the issue. Thanks again and happy holidays to everyone!
Rob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 06:08 AM   #11

Did you pull the LP orifice out of the Gas Valve when you had the burner out? If not, you may have a partially plugged LP orifice. I have seen bug body parts stuck in the orifice restricting LP flow.
A1RVTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, ems, furnace, newbie, problem, problems, rving