Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2015, 07:31 AM   #1

Nitrogen instead of air in tires

I replaced the tires on our coach and it was recommended that I fill them with nitrogen. They said it would improve mileage, improve tire life, and the pressure would be constant.

I didn't do it, but a friend of mine just did and started me wondering if I made the correct choice.

Anyone have experience with nitrogen filled tires?

Tom
Skipper Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2015, 07:38 AM   #2

I think it's great, just to much of a pain in the a!! and cost, sure it's better. Good old air is fine with me.
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:49 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
With a degree in Chemistry, I believe it is a crock.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:57 AM   #4

I use a special proprietary blend of 78% Nitrogen, 20% Oxygen, and 2% trace elements. It works pretty well for me.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:58 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Years ago, when I was very young, my dad owned a Mobil filling station in Loveland CO. When they use too pump the gas, and wash the windshields. Always had high school kids working there. In the summer, we had lots and lots of tourists. And some cars had canvas water bags on the front for overheating in the mountains.
One of the enterprising kids came up with the scam for these out of state customers: they needed, new thin mountain air in their tires, since they had flat land air from a lower altitude. And for a buck he would take care of all four tires.
Dad put a stop to it, but before he found out there were some gullible people who had paid.

I think nitrogen for tires falls in the same category
Old 06-24-2015, 08:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper Tom View Post
I replaced the tires on our coach and it was recommended that I fill them with nitrogen. They said it would improve mileage, improve tire life, and the pressure would be constant.
I didn't do it, but a friend of mine just did and started me wondering if I made the correct choice.
Anyone have experience with nitrogen filled tires?
Tom
Skipper Tom
Ordinary free air is 78.09% nitrogen.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:09 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Oxygen permeates through small passageways (rubber) faster than Nitrogen. For our applications, I do not think the difference is meaningful.

More impactful, IMHO, is that compressed air is saturated with water vapor which will condense and vaporize in the tire during temperature cycling, causing possible corrosion on steel rims, and creating pressure fluctuations.

Here is a technical article of O2 permeation as compared to N2 permeation. Not promoting N2, just providing some info.

There are benefits of N2 filled tires in some applications, where 1 psi fluctuation makes a difference in performance (ie Nascar) or large temp fluctuations, or safety concerns (airline tires).

My thoughts,
Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:10 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ask if you get your cash back, if you get no improvement on mileage.
That way it will be free.

Also ask what % of improvement in MPG there should be.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:24 AM   #9

Cars that run 200MPH have nitrogen in their tires because constant pressure if very important at that level. Our vehicles gain nothing by it.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:36 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
Years ago, when I was very young, my dad owned a Mobil filling station in Loveland CO. When they use too pump the gas, and wash the windshields. Always had high school kids working there. In the summer, we had lots and lots of tourists. And some cars had canvas water bags on the front for overheating in the mountains.
One of the enterprising kids came up with the scam for these out of state customers: they needed, new thin mountain air in their tires, since they had flat land air from a lower altitude. And for a buck he would take care of all four tires.
Dad put a stop to it, but before he found out there were some gullible people who had paid.

I think nitrogen for tires falls in the same category

I have a friend who told a lady co-worker that she needed to change the air in her tires twice each year (winter & summer). That night, she told her husband to get her new air for the summer. He laughed until he cried. She confronted my friend the next day & gave him hell!

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan

🎓 I always think I know more than I actually do! I'm not a 🚀 scientist, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. 🏩
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:37 AM   #11

Gotta jump in here- as this subject comes up about every year.
I have Nitrogen in All of my tires, Cars, Truck , MH- and Race Car, Race Trailer.
Simple Reason ---- Pressure never varies in -10 to 80's when I head to Florida in Feb from Indiana. I carry a 30 size tank and reg on board just in case.
There are Pro's and cons to Nitrogen in tires, I think the Pro's out way the Con's.
It's just personal preference I like knowing that my 22.5's are the same all Day long.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:59 AM   #12

I'd love it if someone could explain to me how nitrogen is supposed to be able to ignore all the laws of physics! It's impossible for a given volume of a gas (any gas) to remain at the same pressure when its temperature changes. I've been hearing this nonsense since tire shops started using nitrogen, and I'm amazed how many people fall for it!

There are advantages to using nitrogen, (the lack of water vapor has already been mentioned) but it does NOT magically adjust its pressure as the temperature changes.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBob View Post
I'd love it if someone could explain to me how nitrogen is supposed to be able to ignore all the laws of physics! It's impossible for a given volume of a gas (any gas) to remain at the same pressure when its temperature changes. I've been hearing this nonsense since tire shops started using nitrogen, and I'm amazed how many people fall for it!

There are advantages to using nitrogen, (the lack of water vapor has already been mentioned) but it does NOT magically adjust its pressure as the temperature changes.
Not disagreeing with your last sentence, but that's the exact reason why plain air pressures vary - Moisture, The lack of moisture the more stable the pressures remain , Hence why I use Nitrogen.and I can attest to the fact that my pressures don't swing. I don't think it's nonsense- Just personal preference.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:47 AM   #14

iRV2 No Limits Club
Nitrogen has benefits in tires used for air craft or race cars.

For a vehicle at normal speeds, it serves no practical purpose.It is a profit center for the tire seller.

If it makes you feel better, spend the money on it.It won’t hurt, but remember that it is not as easy to find 100% Nitrogen for bring tires up to pressure.

Normal air contains 78% Nitrogen, so is it worth it for an extra 22%?I think not.

The next time I tow my trailer at 200 MPH or it has the name “Boeing” on it, I will use nitrogen.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires