Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2011, 09:56 PM   #1

No AC in Coach

I have used this site for that last year and have gotten a lot of great advise and tips, but i have a problem that I can't figure out so it time to put up my first post. I have a 2004 38' Endeavor, that until tonight has been flawless. I went to plug in the coach to charge the batteries and get ready for our first trip of the season next weekend. I plugged the coach into our house, went inside the coach and had no power, to anything. The EMS showed that all circuits are live and the input power level was set to 30A, but showed the usage at "0" amps. So I went into my home and checked the breaker panel in the house, it checks OK. I grab the Volt meter and get to work. Power from the house checked out OK, I am using a 20A 120V circuit from the house. Move into the transfer switch. Test incoming and outgoing (into the coach) all have 120V. Next i unplugged the shore power and started the generator, check readings in the transfer switch, all good 120V coming from the generator and 120v going to the EMS panel. Next i went up to the Intelltec EMS panel and reset all the breakers. Still no power in the coach. Put the meter on the breaker panel, and found 120V on the coach side of all the breakers. Next I looked at a couple of the posts on IRV2 regarding the EMS panel and started doing some checking on the circuit board, all it all checked out OK (even the fuse). Even called Intelltec with what I found and they said it is doing its job. So the part that i don't understand about this is that i have 120V on the back side of the EMS, yet none of the appliances seem to be have power. I saw another post about a inverter problem that had similar symptoms as mine. I unplugged shore power and turned on the inverter. What do you know, all systems are working. Appliances, outlets, everything. So i pulled off the front cover to the inverter and check to see if I had 120V gong to the unit. The indicator lights on the front of the Xantrex freedom 458 showed that it was not receiving any power, but it is receiving power. So my question is, before i go and buy a new inverter, is there something else that i should be checking. Am i missing something with the EMS panel or transfer switch (IOTA 50 Amp)that could cause this??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Powerless in Seattle
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2011, 10:56 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just a shot in the dark here, but there are 2 fuses inside the 458 on the circuit board. Glass type if I remember correctly.
HarleyWJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 02:58 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
When you say power, what system is down? DC or AC side? From your post it sounds like AC side but then you say none of the appliances seem to have power. Have you checked the DC side of the appliances to be sure you have 12 VDC for control power? The only appliances that go through the inverter would be the microwave and maybe the ice maker receptacle and general purpose receptacles. If these are not getting power on shore or generator but do power up from inverter and you do have shore or generator power getting to the inverter then the transfer switch in the inverter is not passing power through the inverter. As mentioned there are fuses that could correct this problem inside the inverter if it is not passing current through to the loads downstream. We really need to know exactly what circuits are dead.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:17 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Adding to Mike's above, confirm that the AC input breaker located ON the inverter is OK (usually, a push-button breaker).

And as a good troubleshooting aid:
Sometimes there are 120V outlets in an RV that are supplied directly from the GenSet and/or shore power (meaning: they are not supplied by the Inverter's AC output). Checking such an outlet with a hair dryer, et al, helps confirm the status of "where juice really is" at any moment in time. This saves you from measuring the house (or RV park) feed, and helps confirm the ATS is not blocking AC input. It also explains why such an outlet has no AC power at it when your running strictly on Inverter AC power!
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 03:45 PM   #5

Thanks to all the replies, but the simplest thing was the answer. harleywjones nailed it. One little .25A fuse shuts the whole system down. I looked all over the manual that came with the inverter and it said nothing about those two little fuses. RV Wizard was correct, I checked the heat pump, refer, Hot water tank before tearing into the inverter and they all were working normally with the generator and shore power. I was only looking at the microwave, TV's, and AC outlets (except the ones that were wired though the EMS in the bedroom, that would help clue me in).

So I replaced the blown fuse in the inverter and all is good in the world. I went to radio shack and the local auto store, and nobody has that exact fuse. Do any of you know where to find that little bugger. It is 250MA-120V. It looks like a slow-blow, but i cant be sure.

BTW- Robi.1014 you are correct. I always seem to take the long road the first time. Next time i have a problem, i am going to follow your advice.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:46 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Google the fuse info on the metal end of the fuse for an electronic supply store near you. I cannot remember the exact size identification of these fuses. Glad to hear that you have found it to be the fuse. Hopefully it just got a spike and replacement will hold and you'll be good to go. I suggest a good Surge Guard type power protection on the shore power.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:19 PM   #7

yep, already ordered the progressive hardwired unit with remote from RVUPGRADES yesterday...I not going to let this happen again.

thanks for the help RVWIZARD
Old 03-22-2011, 03:01 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
You are quite welcome.