RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2010, 08:35 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
NO AC Power output from Generac generator, still runs but ...

Hello,

I am trying to troubleshoot my Generac generator model number 00802-2 Series NP-36G. We were winter camping in Leavenworth WA for the annual Christmas lighting 5 days & 4 nights. The generator worked fine until the 4th day. it still starts up and runs but will not produce any electricity to the camper. I checked all the obvious things: fuse breakers at the converter, and the two at the generator itself, looked for any lose connections to no avail. For what it's worth I have noticed the generator now idles as if the governor is causing the throttle to pulsate slightly but distinctively. I can manually increase the throttle and it will speed up and run smoothly, this would not produce electricity the the camper either. The unit has 166 hours on it and has always worked perfectly till now.

I appreciate your help here,
Todd aka blkcaribou
talock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2010, 08:59 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Todd

Look for the regulator. It will look something like the one pictured here. With the generator running make sure the led is lit, if not then the regulator is bad. This happened to mine and for sure it was the regulator. Here is a link to a good place to buy parts. Generac Chart #7 - QP 55G/ 75D IMP 30G/ 30LP/ 36G/ 36LP/ NP75D : A.S.A.P. they can also help you over the phone, but it's really hard without seeing your installation.

There was also a circuit breaker called out as F3 in my manual, it's self healing and doesn't look at all like a breaker. Check this link to see what it looks like. http://www.partsfortechs.com/asapcar...00p-p-221.html I had to use a meter to see if it was working and along with the regulator it was bad as well.

My genny only had 190 or so hours on it when these things went bad, probably from too little use, now I run it at half load for about a half hour each month.

Another thing to check is the transferr switch if you have one. There is a time delay module in there that delays the switch over to the generator that may be bad.

Dick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Generac Regulator.jpg
Views:	964
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	7342  
Old 12-23-2010, 12:25 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks Dick,
I have been looking through my manual and specifically the exploded view and the parts listing and can not find a regulator for the Generac model 0802-2. could I be missing it or would it be possible for this unit not to have one?

Todd
Old 12-23-2010, 09:53 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Todd

It's possible it doesn't have one. I just don't know. But the folks at the link I posted are real helpful and it's worth a call. Your symptoms sounded the same as I had.

My Generator is a Generac 6500 Watt and not at all the same model as yours. But A.S.A.P. listed parts for the 802. I looked a little closer at your profile and Iíll bet with the cab over you donít have any need for a 6500 Watt generator. So Iím probably way off base with my guess, but I do know the folks at A.S.A.P. will help if they can.

Good Luck

Dick
Old 12-24-2010, 02:37 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks again Dick,

I will give the folks you mentioned a call day after Christmas.
Your right my genny is not as big as yours. It puts out 3600 Watts.

I'll keep ya posted to what I find out.
Have Merry Christmas
Todd
Old 12-27-2010, 04:57 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
To everyone who gave direction and advice thank you!

After starting from the transfer switch (I did this simply because I figured it probably was not a loose or corroded connection... not my camper after all I take good care of it, HA HA laughs on me) then I went to the converter, all was tight and right to the eye up to this point but the multimeter said no voltage! so I checked the junction box, at the gen-set, and it said, according to the multimeter, there was power being generated. It ended up being a bad connection on the neutral leg. The wire nut was wrapped up in electrical tape hiding a poor connection and a undersized wire nut. I replaced all three wire nuts with the proper size wire nuts and wola... power!

Thanks again to all for the help and may you all have a very happy new year!
Todd
Old 12-27-2010, 05:23 PM   #7
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Your a lucky dog. My luck would of been a fried inverter.
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:56 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I would check the governor. Unless the RPM is stable the control board won't allow the generator to connect. The RPM is related to the frequency and unless the RPM is stable there will be no power.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:34 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
WTG Todd

Sounds like you used good troubleshooting techniques, a skill that's hard to find these days.

Dick
Old 12-27-2010, 10:19 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question

Hello RJay, thanks for your comments/suggestions...

The generator seems to be fine now... the pulsation I described is only present when idling with no load placed on the unit, once a load, of any draw/amperage size, is placed on it it runs smoothly at which ever speed the computer calls for. This pulsation or idle speed change is small though noticeable. It does not seem to affect the supply of amperage needed to the camper though. If you think there is something I should look into please let me know... I like preventative measures

Thanks,
Todd
Old 12-27-2010, 10:21 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks Dick, I appreciate your help here

Todd