Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2015, 12:55 AM   #1

No Electric Power inside the Coach

So my son-in-law is stationed in N.C and I am here in Az. .. he owns a 2000 Southwind 36T , ford V-10 .. the MH was last used 6 months ago [give or take a couple ?] a few days ago he discovered there was no inside power inside the coach so he plugged into his house/shore power .. he now had lights .. he disconnect the shore and started his generator and he has power once again inside the coach till he turned the generator off .. he reconnects to shore power and allows / hopes the house batteries will charge [they apparently do not ] he buys two new batteries today installs them but detects a "bubbling" sound coming from the engine battery .. we determine he has in fact replaced the batteries correctly [in series] the engine battery may have a bad cell ? in any event still no power .. after hours on the phone and pictures of what he is looking at we locate two terminal next to the coaches converter/inverter both terminals have reset button on the front that appears to have been tripped .. he pushes both buttons back in and he now has power back inside the coach ... my understanding is that if you leave the coach sit for extended periods of time the inverter will eventually drain the house batteries .. any speculation as to what might have caused the reset button to have tripped .. could the draining of the batteries along with plugging into shore power have caused the trip .. any ideas would be appreciated .. thanks glenn
gpshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2015, 07:47 AM   #2

Inverters Are Sometimes Improperly Wired

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshay View Post
... my understanding is that if you leave the coach sit for extended periods of time the inverter will eventually drain the house batteries .. any speculation as to what might have caused the reset button to have tripped .. could the draining of the batteries along with plugging into shore power have caused the trip .. any ideas would be appreciated .. thanks glenn
Hi Glenn,

Can you post more information about the make and model of the inverter?

If you have an inverter with charger built in, it will have an AC output breaker. This is usually a push button type. If the current through the inverter, while plugged into shore power or from a generator, exceeds the breaker, it will trip. I usually see this on inverters installed improperly where all shore power is routed through the inverters internal transfer switch. Is this the way your inverter is wired?

If you turn off the inverter and all loads, a healthy house battery can last for months. However, to properly care for your battery, I recommend fully charging them every 30 days while not in use. A PV solar system will take care of this for you.

Larry
I have a vast knowledge about PV solar, batteries and inverters. I'll try to provide the best answer if I know it and hopefully correct some "Campfire" talk. Full-time 1999-2004. Part time now. '92 Hawkins, 360AH Lithium Battery, 1480 Watts PV solar.
BatteryPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:51 AM   #3

INTELI-POWER 9200 Series Operation
I believe this brand converter/inverter was installed here in phx .. I think it was done correctly because he had not had a problem until he allowed the house batteries to go dead and then replaced them .. they are leaving this weekend for a long week getaway .. so we will see if that same problem surfaces again . Glenn
gpshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:26 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If (notice the if) your Son-in-law did not unplug from shore power while he replaced the house batteries, it's a very good bet that the positive cable still had power on it, coming from the converter (PD-9200), and was accidentally allowed to touch ground. This has happened many many times when replacing the house batteries on a Fleetwood coach. Just reset the breakers and go on with life.

The bubbling from the chassis battery should be your biggest concern. It may have been the result of the initial mishap, or it may be that the battery has a bad cell.

BTW - the PD-92XX (probably a PD-9260) is a CONVERTER, not an INVERTER. The 2000 Southwind does not have an inverter as delivered.

Tags
power