Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2020, 09:25 AM   #1

No Heat above 4800 Feet

My 2011 Winnebago Adventure LP heater does not operate above 4800 ft. Went to Mammoth Mountain in California (7200 ft) and froze my huevos off. Opened up compartment where the LP heater is in the back under sink and sure enough there is a sticker on top of furnace that says basically this heater is good only from 0-4800 ft elevation. Someone had mentioned something about jumpering the seal switch or sail switch. Any thoughts or know of anyone in Southern California Los Angeles Area that can do that for me?
chimmeysweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2020, 09:35 AM   #2

Maybe things are different on vehicles of the 2011 vintage but there use to be an adjustment for high elevation. Check your users guide for yours. Then armed with that knowledge, try to find a local Mobile RV Service or a handyman to do the work for you.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 10:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimmeysweep View Post
My 2011 Winnebago Adventure LP heater does not operate above 4800 ft. Went to Mammoth Mountain in California (7200 ft) and froze my huevos off. Opened up compartment where the LP heater is in the back under sink and sure enough there is a sticker on top of furnace that says basically this heater is good only from 0-4800 ft elevation. Someone had mentioned something about jumpering the seal switch or sail switch. Any thoughts or know of anyone in Southern California Los Angeles Area that can do that for me?
The furnace may have a partial air blockage in the intake or exhaust that would inhibit the flow just enough that in thinner air there is not enough air pressure to engage the sail switch. I don't know what brand of furnace you have but the 20 year old 16k btu Suburban that I have works just fine up to 10,000 feet.

I would try looking for an obstruction. A furnace that only works below 4800' seems kind of worthless in the high country out west.
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 12:54 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't think defeating the sail switch is a very good idea. In the event a duct is blocked or there's a blower problem the burner will still activate and cook away. If it's actually the sail switch not having enough air velocity maybe there's a different blower cage or motor to use. If it's burner related I'd be looking at seeing if there's a burner air adjustment like on water heaters, or maybe there's an optional gas orifice you need to install like for S&B furnaces at altitude. There are enough RV furnaces that work just fine at altitude to show that it's possible, you just need to figure out what yours needs to do that.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 01:20 PM   #5

if the sticker says it's only good to 4800', defeating that spec may be hazerdous
#10050 GVWR, #18500 GCWR Smoke that!
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 01:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorb8 View Post
if the sticker says it's only good to 4800', defeating that spec may be hazerdous
^This.

I would not do anything to defeat a safety system. But I think it would be prudent to check for a partial obstruction. Mud daubers and other small critters love furnaces. Again, this would be for the outside intake and exhaust for the burner, not the duct work that's part of the air handling system.
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat