RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2015, 09:54 PM   #1

No heat from furnace

only cold air is blowing from the vent, even though I can see a flame when I open the outside panel of the furnace and hear the blower working correctly. Even after 30 minutes of continuous running it is still blowing cold air from the 4 floor vents.
The rig is a 2002 Jayco greyhawk Class C Motorhome. it was not in very good shape when we bought this summer and it probably sat unused for some period of time.
any idea what I should be looking at? Anything to check?
Rmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2015, 03:46 AM   #2

So just to get on the same page, your blower is running and your flame is continuous so you feel a good hot exhaust over the port on the exterior of your class C? You do not hear a clicking sound as though your furnace is cycling through reignition (flame out, flame on)? You do not hear a whistle sound?

It would be great if you knew the make (Atwood or Suburban) and the Model number of your furnace. I am kind of at a loss knowing where you can actually see the flame since most of the furnace have a completely enclosed combustion chamber.

You did the obvious of checking to be sure you have propane and you have a good strong flame at your cooktop burners?

Steve
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Fixit View Post
So just to get on the same page, your blower is running and your flame is continuous so you feel a good hot exhaust over the port on the exterior of your class C? You do not hear a clicking sound as though your furnace is cycling through reignition (flame out, flame on)? You do not hear a whistle sound?

It would be great if you knew the make (Atwood or Suburban) and the Model number of your furnace. I am kind of at a loss knowing where you can actually see the flame since most of the furnace have a completely enclosed combustion chamber.

You did the obvious of checking to be sure you have propane and you have a good strong flame at your cooktop burners?

Steve

Yes, continuous flame and visual confirmation when removing the outside access panel. No clicking sound or whistle sound. I will post some pictures this evening.
Cooktop burners appear to be working normally too.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmind View Post
Yes, continuous flame and visual confirmation when removing the outside access panel. No clicking sound or whistle sound. I will post some pictures this evening.
Rmind
The make and model number of the furnace in your 2002 Jayco Greyhawk Class C Motorhome would be helpful to anyone interested in helping you.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Rmind
The make and model number of the furnace in your 2002 Jayco Greyhawk Class C Motorhome would be helpful to anyone interested in helping you.
Mel
'96 Safari

I will look it up this evening after work and post it here
Old 12-09-2015, 03:52 PM   #6

I agree regarding the model number, but even so, if the furnace is actually fired continuously and nothing is coming out of the registers, about the only thing it can be is ductwork that is disconnected. That heat has to be going somewhere! I can't remember how Grey Hawks are ducted.

Steve
Old 12-10-2015, 09:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmind View Post
Rmind
I agree with Mr_Fixit that IF your furnace "fires" and continues to "burn" for 30 minutes the heat has to be going somewhere.

Since your furnace will blow cold air from the 4 floor vents for 30 minutes me thinks the furnace is "running"... but NOT "firing".

It is NOT POSSIBLE to see the flame in most RV furnaces.
Are you sure you can see the flame burning in your furnace continuously during the 30 minutes that your furnace blower "runs" with only cold air blowing from the 4 floor vents?

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 12-10-2015, 09:16 AM   #8

The only furnace models with the view port are Suburban model NTs (unless you are talking 70's pilot models). Only a very few companies used them, Flagstaff being one I can think of right off. They are square bodied rather than rectangular. The view port is not on the outside of the camper, you have to find the back of the furnace (inside the RV), take the back cover off, and the view port is down on the left hand corner when facing the back of the furnace.

If the OP has any the other more common model furnaces and can see the flame, there is a very real problem. Combustion chambers are completely sealed for safety and the flame is not visible, as Mel pointed out.

Steve
Old 12-10-2015, 09:24 AM   #9

Hey, here is a thought. In 02 the furnaces still had the separate fan relay rather than the relay on the board (I think) as you can tell if the fan does not start instantly when you turn the t-stat up. In that case the fan will run until either the thermostat is turned back off, the battery power dies, or the fan motor burns out.

If the thermostat was simply turned up one time and the gas line was empty, the furnace might not fire on the first try. In that case the t-stat has to be cycled before it will try again as the board locks out.

It is long shot, but maybe just turned the t-stat off and on a couple of times will resolve the problem?

Steve
Old 12-10-2015, 10:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Fixit View Post
Hey, here is a thought. In 02 the furnaces still had the separate fan relay rather than the relay on the board (I think) as you can tell if the fan does not start instantly when you turn the t-stat up. In that case the fan will run until either the thermostat is turned back off, the battery power dies, or the fan motor burns out.
If the thermostat was simply turned up one time and the gas line was empty, the furnace might not fire on the first try. In that case the t-stat has to be cycled before it will try again as the board locks out.
It is long shot, but maybe just turned the t-stat off and on a couple of times will resolve the problem?
Steve
On my 1996 Suburban SF-42 furnace he fan relay is on the control board of my 1996 Suburban SF-42 furnace.

SUBURBAN SF-42 FURNACE

That furnace has a 1/2" diameter view port on the top of the burn chamber...but it is only visible when the furnace is removed from my coach.. and after the sheet metal housing is removed.

REMOVING THE SHEET METAL HOUSING

Therefore the view port is only useful if/when the furnace is out of my coach and bench tested.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 12-10-2015, 10:48 AM   #11

I didn't realize the fan board went back that far in time. It seems like only yesterday, but then as I age almost everything seems like "only yesterday".

You are correct about the view port. I was speaking in terms of a port that did not require disassembly. I should have made that clearer. I was also visualizing Atwood furnaces so that was just stupid on my part.

On the NT series, just opening the back door where the high limits sits there is one that is easy to see.

Steve
Old 12-10-2015, 11:13 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
If it's firing the vent on the outside should be hot.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:18 AM   #13

For sure! That's what I suggested in my first post. So far OP did not address that as far as I can tell. The situation remains somewhat a vague.

Steve
Old 12-10-2015, 11:34 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Could he have mixed up the furnace "flame" with the refrigerators? The only external opening we have is for the refrigerator, none for the furnace. Or maybe the hot water?
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, furnace, heat