Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2022, 06:23 AM   #1

No hot water coming out of my faucets

I have a 2009 Itasca Meridian 39Z .
On our last camping trip, I could not get any hot water coming out of my faucets.
The water heater is working fine, just not hot water out of any faucet.
I already replaced a water valve under the living room TV cabinet, but still have the same problem.
Turning the faucet handle left or right only doesn’t make any difference, cold water only.
Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be.
Thank you in advance for your reply.
Scuba
Scuba993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2022, 06:50 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It could be that the water heater is in by-pass. Maybe from being winterized?
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 07:02 AM   #3

If the heater has all the bypass valves set in the correct position then the first thing I would check is the check valve on the water heater. It has either stuck or failed. If you have to pull it out to check it I would just replace it. You already have it out and they are cheap (less than $10). Any RV place will have them and probably also Lowes or Home Depot.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 11:55 AM   #4

Thanks for your reply, I don’t winterize my Motorhome. We spend the winter months in Florida
Old 05-14-2022, 11:58 AM   #5

Thank you for your reply, I will replace the check valve and see what happens.
Old 05-14-2022, 12:02 PM   #6

DO you have an Atwood WH with a Mixing Valve?

You say you do not winterize (inferring Bypass isn't operated), you get flow from faucet hot & cold side just cold water

So if you have a Mixing Valve the Hot inlet is clogged and only cold water is flowing thru the mixing valve

Bad Check valve in WH Hot out...NO flow thru Hot side

Bypass left open........Luke warm/cold water flow thru Hot side of faucet

**Showers (inside/outside Knobs open;;;;turned off via button handle...shower faucet becomes a mixing chamber resulting in Luke warm in Hot side
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 01:09 PM   #7

Thank you for your reply, I will check this out next week and hopefully have hot water again for our camping trip on Memorial Weekend.
Old 05-14-2022, 02:16 PM   #8

You say only cold water to the faucets, is it correct to assume also no hot water to the inside and outside shower?

When you turn your faucets to 100% hot do you get an expected flow rate, or minimal to nothing?

If no hot water anywhere and no flow from hot water pipes then as others have suggested it's likely the check valve on the water heater outlet. If you are getting hot water to anywhere, or flow in the hot water lines then it's something else.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 07:30 PM   #9

Thank you for your reply,
The water flow is steady, turning the faucets to either hot or cold water.
It also seams like when you turn the handle from cold to hot, it feels like worm water is coming for about a millisecond and the turns cold again.
Old 05-14-2022, 08:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba993 View Post
Thank you for your reply,
The water flow is steady, turning the faucets to either hot or cold water.
It also seams like when you turn the handle from cold to hot, it feels like worm water is coming for about a millisecond and the turns cold again.

Can only happen if BYPASS Valve is open or Mixing Valve (If equipped) is clogged

Cold water can only come from 1 of those 2 means

Again Brand/Model of Water Heater would help>
Old 05-15-2022, 05:33 AM   #11

The Water heater is an Atwood 10 gallon, model number GCH10A-4E.
I already replaced the winterization and check valve under the TV cabinet. There is another winterization valve in the plumbing compartment, could that be the culprit?
When I turn the winterization valve under the TV cabinet to winterize, the water flow out out the hot faucet side stops immediately.
Old 05-15-2022, 06:19 AM   #12

You say that your water heater is working but not getting to the faucets. How do you know the water heater is working?

If the water heater is really working then as Old Bisciit says there is some kind of bypass valve that is either on or not working.

You say when you turn on the winterizer valve the flow stops. Is that the bypass valve? I know on my rig the only valve that is used for winterizing is a bypass valve. If it's a bypass valve is it possible that when you turn off the bypass is when you lose flow? If so this would imply no hot water getting to the bypass valve.

As far as you getting warm water for a fraction of a second, it takes longer then that for any hot water to get from the hot water heater to the faucet. That warm water is from your water line.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 10:02 AM   #13

The water heater is working fine, when I press the overflow valve, very hot water is coming out.
Old 05-15-2022, 10:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba993 View Post
The Water heater is an Atwood 10 gallon, model number GCH10A-4E.
I already replaced the winterization and check valve under the TV cabinet. There is another winterization valve in the plumbing compartment, could that be the culprit?
When I turn the winterization valve under the TV cabinet to winterize, the water flow out out the hot faucet side stops immediately.
Winterizing valve in plumbing compartment sounds like that would be used to suck anti-freeze in using the pump

Under TV Cabinet...
When you close it..flow to Hot side of faucet stops
That is the WH Tank BYPASS and should be closed for NORMAL Use
*When Open cold flows thru bypass into hot lines

No flow when Closed....CHECK VALVE IN WH Tank HOT Outlet is clogged, failed, stuck closed not allow hot water flow out of WH Tank
*some Bypass systems have check valve with the bypass valve
Either way no flow out of water heater tank into Hot line