Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2022, 08:37 PM   #1

Exclamation No Power to Generator / Control Panel

Hey everyone! This is my first post, I'm fairly new to RVing and recently have come against an issue that I can't resolve hoping I can get some help here.

PROBLEM:
My RV house power is dead and does not work. The generator does not start up from inside the control panel (its completely dead) and the generator does not start up from outside either button either (no power going to it).

I assumed my house batteries were toast (5 years old), so i purchased new ones put them in and the house lights turned on BUT the generator is still not getting power. Any ideas? Is there a reason why power would go to the house but no the control panel?

THING I'VE TRIED:
- I've checked all (i think) breakers and fuses.
- Plugging in shore power turns on the lights but not the control panel/generator
- Having the RV engine on does not seem to help either.
- The other componetns transfer box, converter, etc seem to work, but I'm not an expert either so not sure how to test it (wiling to learn).

Thanks in adavance!
David
Kovadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2022, 08:39 PM   #2

Forgot to add my RV is a 2018 Thor ACE 30ft (A CLASS)
Old 05-21-2022, 09:21 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Is it possible you missed a cable for the batteries, one that goes to the generator? Letting us know that year/make/model you have of RV would help, along with the generator make would help.
Old 05-21-2022, 09:42 PM   #4

Hey thanks for the response! I have a 2018 Thor ACE - Generator is Onan Cummins 5500. What do you mean by a wire to the generator? The power wire? Where can I locate that? Thanks
Old 05-21-2022, 09:50 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Do you have a multimeter? Go to the generator and take the front panel off. There should be a lug that the main power wire coming into the generator connects to. Check that for power. I'm not sure if your rig has a CB for the generator, but that's a start.
Old 05-22-2022, 07:03 AM   #6

i also would use a meter to verify if 12 volt power is actually making its way to the generator. if you pull the front cover off the generator you should see where the 12 volt positive cable from the battery connects to the generator. it is in the front lower left area. check to see if you have 12 vdc from this connection to chassis ground. if you do the issue is within the generator. if you do not have power then the problem is between the generator and the battery.

there may be a 12 volt circuit breaker in the cable between the battery and the generator. if there is then it may need to be reset.

one other option would be to try to jump start the generator using a set of jumper cables. i have had to do this when our batteries were too low to start the generator. if the generator starts this way it point again to an issue with the cable between the generator and the batteries.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 10:12 AM   #7

Fixed original issue!

Ok so issue 1 was fixed! Appreciate all your help everyone. When I put the new batteries back in, I accidentally put the generator cable on the negative , after swaping, the generator is working now from outside AND control panel!

HOWEVER, now I have a new issue. Everything seems to work except the slide out... the switch on the control panel isn't doing anything (I have the RV engine off and emergency brake on). I've checked the controller below it was flashing 9 red lights (short somewhere) but after resetting it now its not flashing anything.

Any thoughts?!
Old 05-22-2022, 12:29 PM   #8

Ok fixed the issue. The problem was the wires fell out from the connections and were put in inproperly. So pushing another switch made the slide out extend

All is good now! Thanks everyone.

Tags
generator, no power, panel, power