Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2014, 04:49 PM   #1

No Power To Refrigerator Norcold HELP!!

I have a 2001 Holiday Rambler Vacationer. I am going camping in two days, and have no power to my Norcold refrigerator, "when I push the power button, nothing, no lights etc". There is supposed to be a circuit breaker somewhere, but I have no idea where. Please help, going camping in 2 days.

Thanks,

Vern
CP598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2014, 05:05 PM   #2

Sounds like the 12 volt DC power is turned off. The frig will not work without 12 volt DC even though it is using shore power. Look for a battery shut off switch near the entry door. There is usually two switches: 1) For the chassis batteries and 2) For the coach batteries. These switches are easy to accidentally turn off.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:09 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Do you have power to the outlet box that the frig is plugged into? I assuming this is 110 (?). If there isn't any power to the box you can probably eliminate problems with the frig. I would certainly try to find the your breaker box and check this area too. Where it is located is anybodys guess, it's in your camper somewhere.

Great suggestion by mrboyer.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:21 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hello and welcome to the group. It will help everyone if we knew what model number the Norcold is.
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:53 PM   #5

What model is your fridge?
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:31 PM   #6

iRV2 No Limits Club
Have you"googled " norcold refrigerator on the net?I just checked and there are several sites that offer the best way to go.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98FPA View Post
Do you have power to the outlet box that the frig is plugged into? I assuming this is 110 (?). If there isn't any power to the box you can probably eliminate problems with the frig. I would certainly try to find the your breaker box and check this area too. Where it is located is anybodys guess, it's in your camper somewhere.

Great suggestion by mrboyer.
Thanks for the replys and suggestions, much appreciated. I did a google search and didn't find anything, but will check again. I haven't checked the 110v plug in yet. I will do that next. I have looked in the circuit breaker panel above the bed, and there are no tripped breakers. I looked in the fuse panel in the left front basement bay, and see on the fuse panel diagram that the refrig. is listed as 5/30 but does not give the locations. I would assume this to be 5 amp dc to supply 12v to the panel, and 30 amp AC when plugged into shore power. Unfortunately the fuse location isn't listed.

Thanks again.

Vern
Old 04-07-2014, 07:14 PM   #8

The Norcold does not require 110V to operate on propane. What would be the point???
The problem is either in the 12V supply or you have a bigger problem like a bad circuit board. My money's on the 12V supply. Chase that down first.
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Rockwood View Post
Hello and welcome to the group. It will help everyone if we knew what model number the Norcold is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chawkins99 View Post
The Norcold does not require 110V to operate on propane. What would be the point???
The problem is either in the 12V supply or you have a bigger problem like a bad circuit board. My money's on the 12V supply. Chase that down first.
Yeah, I agree. I don't think there is 12v supply. Hopefully just the F1 fuse, on the circuit board. Now I just need to find it.

Thanks,
Old 04-07-2014, 08:40 PM   #10

Finally, someone got it. If there are NO lights on the front of the refr, then there is either bad communication to the lower board, or (more likely) NO 12V power into or out of the lower main circuit board. That's what all your appliances use, 12V power. The WH, furnace, A/C even all use 12V power to run circuit boards.
You can not just look at fuses. Get either a test light to just check for power, or a volt meter to look at actual voltage power.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Finally, someone got it. If there are NO lights on the front of the refr, then there is either bad communication to the lower board, or (more likely) NO 12V power into or out of the lower main circuit board. That's what all your appliances use, 12V power. The WH, furnace, A/C even all use 12V power to run circuit boards.
You can not just look at fuses. Get either a test light to just check for power, or a volt meter to look at actual voltage power.
OK, the model is N821, I checked the fuse in position F1 on the circuit board, with a multi-meter and it is fine. Also check a 5 amp blade fuse with a multi-meter and it is fine. There is a terminal on the circuit board labled 12vdc, with a 10-12 gauge wire attached, I checked voltage on this wire and it is only 2.5v, I believe this to be the problem, now I need to figure out where this wire comes from, and why it only has 2.5 volts. Any ideas?

Thanks again,

Vern
Old 04-07-2014, 09:29 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP598 View Post
I have a 2001 Holiday Rambler Vacationer. I am going camping in two days, and have no power to my Norcold refrigerator, "when I push the power button, nothing, no lights etc". There is supposed to be a circuit breaker somewhere, but I have no idea where. Please help, going camping in 2 days.
Here's on possibility I was thinking until you mentioned the 2.5V. Perhaps it's worth mentioning anyway...

Don't know if your Norcold calls for the recall, but has the Norcold recall kit been added to the back of your refer inside the vent cover that monitors the temperature at the boiler? If so, is there a red light shining on the recall box. That means the box has interrupted the power to the refer for both AC and LP and you won't be able to turn it on until the recall box is bypassed, reset, or replaced. This will happen if the recall box gets wet even if the refer itself is fine. (Would not recommend bypassing it.)
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:43 AM   #13

An N821 probably does not have the recall box; very few did. However, it can have a type of recall. Some of those do have thermal disc breakers on the flue.

Find where the 12V main comes in, and check it there. If it's low there, then it's a coach issue. If it's good, keep following it until you lose voltage.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:12 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP598 View Post

Thanks,

Vern
Did you confirm there is no HT/SD Relay on it ( it is a clip on black box that was a recall). If there is a High Temp Shut Down Relay on the fridge (added), it is quite simple to fix. Let me know if you have this relay and I can help you from there. Scott
Scottspence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
norcold, power, refrigerator