Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2021, 06:47 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
No shore power

I just finished installing battleborn batteries and an 800 watt solar kit.
I didn't touch the inverter ,nothing was connected to it.
But this morning I tried to plug it in to 110 and it's not letting current through.
I pressed the clear fault reset button...fan comes on also a red light indicating a fault. Looked at panel inside for faults... nothing listed.
I'm thinking it might just be a setting for the batteries as it worked fine before I changed them.
Waiting for answers from Battleborn and Xantrex. Its a Xantrex Freedon SW 2012 2000 watt
Ideas?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2021, 08:14 PM   #2

I would disconnect the solar kit. I assume you installed a breaker/disconnect between the batteries and the controller. I would also lift the cables off the battery terminals and use a multimeter on each battery in isolation.

Verify you have 12+ volts on each BattleBorn battery. Use a multimeter and measure the disconnected positive and negative battery cables and check for short.

While the cables are isolated from each other and the batteries, plug in the trailer and see if the converter is putting out 12+ volts. Verify the cables polarities are correct before connecting the batteries back into the system. Disconnect the trailers 120 volt power plug before reconnecting everything.

Does your system have a master battery disconnect. Use it before disconnecting terminals and reconnecting them later.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:15 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
all 4 batteries at 13.3.
Tried turning on shore power with 1 battery and no battery, still no go.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:59 PM   #4

Are you home, using a GFCI outlet ?
Make sure you have shore power coming in.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 02:34 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Powers coming in, I have a progressive industries management/surge protector.
The meter on it shows power coming through. And no errors.
Old 03-05-2021, 03:05 PM   #6

Trouble shooting via user provided information in a forum is a challenge. In general it is useful to provide as much detail as possible listing what components of the system were in place and functional before you started. List the sequence of changes up to the point where you had the problems. It is helpful if you have breakers and/or disconnects between system components were possible so you can isolate and reduce the number of active components while trying to troubleshoot what isn't working.

Keep yourself safe and remember you need to avoid exposure to both AC and DC currents. Use a multimeter and it can be useful to have an AC voltage detector to determine if the AC circuit is energized.

The most destructive error in hooking up an inverter/charger is to energize the DC terminals with the voltage reversed. Most other errors can be resolved by correcting the wiring error.

Your inverter requires the batteries and cables and components to the DC terminals and the 120 volt hot/neutral/ground wires on the input and output sides of the transfer switch and chassis ground of the inverter/charger plus the external control panel of the inverter/charger. Verify all cable connections with power disconnected and work your way through all the connections.

Was the Xantrex Freedom SW 2012 2000 watt inverter/charger installed and fully functional before you made the changes with the batteries?

With the inverter/charger disconnected from the DC circuit are the 12 volt parts of your system fully operations and showing about 13 volts?

With no external 120 volt input to the inverter/charger, does the inverter/charger still show a fault? Does it show any status at all? Can you measure the DC voltage at the large DC terminals if you remove the covers? Is it showing about 13 volts?

If you installed the inverter/charger as part of the Battle Born battery install then I would also confirm all the AC 120 volt connections. Your model is designed for a 12 volt battery system and should be compatible with the Battle Born batteries out of the box. You can optimize the charger configuration once it is operational.

It sounds like your batteries are fine. The BMS protects them from most user errors. The reason for the fault on the Xantrex needs to be determined. If the installation is new I would suspect possible wiring errors on the DC or AC inputs or outputs. If the install was previously working before the Battle Born battery install then I would work with Xantrex to try to trouble shoot the problem further.
Old 03-05-2021, 04:00 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Inverter was already installed and working on shore power last time I took it out.

It was not touched during battery or solar install. Nothing got connected to it.

Batteries were connected to the same terminals as before except in parallel instead of in series. I replaced (4) 6 volts with (4) 12 volts.

Solar panels wired to a solar controller, controller wired to batteries.
Checked inverter posts 13.2 amps there.

Inverter works fine running coach on batteries, it just won't accept shore power.
Old 03-13-2021, 06:13 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Well I got it figured out. I suspected it was one of the fuse/breaker buttons on the side after checking power from the house to the inverter where it no longer had power.
I took the cover off the inverter and checked the breakers for continuity and the 30 amp a/c didn't have any. Ordered a new breaker and installed....now I have power.

Tags
power, shore power