Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2011, 05:00 PM   #1

no shore power past the transfer switch

New member here who needs help.

My dad just bought a 38 foot '99 Holiday Rambler Endeavor diesel pusher with 50 amp service. The generator works fine, but when it's plugged into shore power (we added a 30 amp plug to go into our outlet) only a tiny trickle of power comes into the coach from the power transfer switch. We did check to make sure 30 amps is going to the transfer switch, and it is.
So - is the transfer switch bad? Does it need to be replaced? Is there anything else we can do or check to get this thing to work? Are we doing something wrong?
Thanks for any help we can get.
woodybain is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2011, 05:09 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi woodybain,
Welcome to iRV2. If the generator supplies power and shore power does not, the transfer switch is the guilty component. My transfer switch defaults to the generator. When connected to shore power the transfer switch relay must energize to provide the coach power. That being said, if you can get the cover of the switch off (remove power before doing this) do so. Check the contacts. Maybe you can clean the contacts and all will be well. Also, with the cover off, connect shore power and see if the transfer switch relay energizes.

Lastly, with the cover off and power removed, make sure all the cable ends are tight in their buss sockets.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:11 PM   #3

Thanks - will give that a try.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:35 PM   #4

Well - we tried all of the above and none of it worked. Power will not get past the transfer switch. I guess the only solution is a new transfer switch.
Thanks for the suggestions, anyway.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:58 PM   #5

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Not sure what brand transfer switch you have but I uploaded the troubleshooting guide and schematic for my ESCO 50 amp switch in the files tab of the IRV2 website, take a look and see if it simply a stuck contact.

Ron & Wendy 94 Pace Arrow 454
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:51 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let me answer your original question.

Power IN to the transfer switch and no power out is the very defination of a failed transfer switch.

There are a couple of common failure modes depending on the switch.. One of them is "Only one source works" (I had that) and that is usually a welded relay

There are two kinds of transfer switches.. One has one set of master contactors (Really big relays) that switches between shore and generator

The other has two sets of contactors, one for shore and one for generator and if one of those welds, and the safety's fail (Which can happen) things can get kind of smokey (which is to say fire is a real possibility)

I like the first kind better. less to go wrong.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:53 PM   #7

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Not totally disagreeing but it also depends on your transfer switch.
The one I replaced was a dual unit, meaning it had and electronic transfer and mechanical transfer system. The circuit board was connected to both contactor coils and when the unit quit, instead of stopping power it allowed the gen to back feed to shore power and tripped house breaker that's how I found out it was bad.
If the computer board(electric switching) would have worked but the mechanical contactor coil didn't then then power in but no power out would have been correct for my unit.

Another possibility depending on unit brand is debris inside box- metal shavings or old knockouts left in box, pitted contacts or welding like you mentioned above. Only way to find out for sure is open it up and test.

Ron & Wendy 94 Pace Arrow 454
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:32 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodybain View Post
New member here who needs help.

My dad just bought a 38 foot '99 Holiday Rambler Endeavor diesel pusher with 50 amp service. The generator works fine, but when it's plugged into shore power (we added a 30 amp plug to go into our outlet) only a tiny trickle of power comes into the coach from the power transfer switch. We did check to make sure 30 amps is going to the transfer switch, and it is.
So - is the transfer switch bad? Does it need to be replaced? Is there anything else we can do or check to get this thing to work? Are we doing something wrong?
Thanks for any help we can get.
Are you using a 30A 120V Circuit/Breaker and NOT a 30A 240V Circuit? Just making sure because it is a fairly common mistake. We sometimes overlook the obvious.
Buford B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodybain View Post
.... only a tiny trickle of power comes into the coach from the power transfer switch.
Define "tiny trickle".

Did you use a voltmeter in any of the 120v outlets inside to see what the actual voltage was when plugged into shore power?

From your description I cannot tell if you added a 30amp service to your house somewhere or if you made a 30amp connector of some sort to convert your 50amp RV plug down to something that would fit an existing outlet at the house. What type/model 30amp connector did you wire up at either end?

If you used or are using a standard TT30-R receptacle with 2 angled blades and 1 round ground blade, using your meter you should see approx 120V (give or take 10%) when measured across the 2 angled blades.

I tend to believe that if the problem is/was with the mechanical contactor/relay and that the contact points were welded towards the generator side (which can and does happen) then they wouldn't be able to move to allow any power incoming from the shore power side. As Buford B mentions above this sounds more like a service problem.

Let us know what type of receptacle or plug end you've installed or take a picture of what you've made and post here. Once we see what you've got we'll all be able to help get you fixed right up
Old 04-03-2011, 10:05 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You should be able to measure 110V's at the shore power cord at the wiring lugs in transfer switch terminals.
If you cannot you need to double check wiring feeding your power cord from house outlet.
If the transfer relay for shore line does not operate than you may have blown the printed circuit board in transfer switch.
This link will show you proper outlets and wiring for 30amp service.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote