Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2022, 02:21 PM   #1

Noisy A/C with or without Wacko DA100 A/C Silencer?

Did some research for any solutions for noisy A/C's. We all have them to some extent. I have a Dometic ducted system and it's much more noisy when utilizing the main vent air dump built into the cover. Not so much when that main vent is closed...but still pretty noisy.

Wacko products has a kit (A/C Silencer DA100) that basically is just taping over the main air dump and forcing air only through the ducts, and also incorporating a special cover that reverses the unit's intake of air, thus "bending the air", which is supposed to aid in even more quietness. You can see it here:

However, I'm wondering if just taping the main air dump and then simply reusing your old cover will accomplish the same thing, or would you really get even more quiet advantage by reversing and "bending the air, as you would if you used Wacko's kit that utilizes a special cover?

You can see someone doing that (without any wacko kit) here:

Just wondering if anyone out there has done both those above procedures at one time and knows if using that special cover (which reverses air intake) also improves even more, beyond just taping the main air dump?
vett82ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2022, 02:27 PM   #2

Good question. Will look for responses.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 02:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge68474 View Post
Good question. Will look for responses.
I figure for $200, that reversing cover had better make some significant difference!
Old 05-14-2022, 02:35 PM   #4

I tried blocking off the dump in our rear AC with styrofoam block I cut to fit in the down hole.. I found no difference in the noise.. I did install a Wacko silencer in the front AC the next year and it was much better.. We can actually watch tv with the front AC on the last couple years. I believe the filter is much better than the foam pad filter in the standard AC cover.. Although it takes a little more effort to remove and clean.
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 02:48 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I have the Wacko silencer installed on both ACs. Much quieter. As stated can actually watch TV and even have conversations with us on opposite ends of coach and both ACs running.

Sent from my SM-N960U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 04:54 PM   #6

Good to know. Thx. Perhaps there's more assist as well, from the supplied new base plate of the Wacko, which also assists in dialing in the noise.
Old 05-16-2022, 08:49 AM   #7

I am happy with my Wacko products on my 2 Coleman Mach units in my '16 Bounder. It's a couple decibel difference and that makes a big difference. Been 18 months now.
The only downside is cleaning the air filters is a little more work. But worth it IMO.
Old 05-16-2022, 12:17 PM   #8

Thank you for your responses. Much appreciated.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote