RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2020, 03:29 PM   #1

Noob question about RV fridge

Is it OK to run the fridge on propane while traveling ? If it helps, It's a Norcold 838, 2-way. Also, can this fridge be converted to 3-way without a lot of work ? I started using the RV for towing my race car this year, and I love staying at the track. A few of the tows are around 10 hours long.
deanjonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2020, 04:03 PM   #2
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanjonas View Post
Is it OK to run the fridge on propane while traveling ? If it helps, It's a Norcold 838, 2-way. Also, can this fridge be converted to 3-way without a lot of work ? I started using the RV for towing my race car this year, and I love staying at the track. A few of the tows are around 10 hours long.
You should be able to run it on propane while driving but that model was discontinued in 1986. I'd be hesitant to even run a 34+ year-old fridge at all.

See this link for the 838 versus the 8310 3-way: Dave's Place - Norcold Electronics (838 and 8310)

HTH,

Ray
Old 10-04-2020, 05:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
You should be able to run it on propane while driving but that model was discontinued in 1986. I'd be hesitant to even run a 34+ year-old fridge at all.

See this link for the 838 versus the 8310 3-way: Dave's Place - Norcold Electronics (838 and 8310)

HTH,

Ray
Good Catch! And
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 06:09 PM   #4

1984 vintage RV......lucky fridge still cools

YES you can operate on propane while traveling. What it was designed for

No you can NOT convert it to a 2-way to a 3-way
Would require new upper control/display
New circuit board with DC Element Fuse/terminals
Element Holder on boiler next to the AC element holder

Besides the DC Element is only good for maintaining a cold fridge while traveling
Not capable of cooling a fridge down from initial start
Not intended for use while boondocking
Too high of DC drain on batteries w/o vehicle alternator recharging battery
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 10:32 PM   #5

Thanks guys. As for using a fridge this old, It looks like it has had the latest recalls done, and the cooling unit looks to be in good shape. I was planning on replacing the cooling unit this winter, with the Amish unit, but as good as this thing cools, its going to be hard to do. It being so old, and as good as it cools, makes me think it hasn't been used very much, or the cooling unit has been replaced. I'll forget the 12v conversion idea, especially since It'll be ok to travel with the propane going. When i get to the track, I'll be on 120v power.
deanjonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 11:43 PM   #6

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Tags
fridge