RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2020, 02:28 PM   #1

NorCold 1095 issues

Hi everyone, I'll keep this as short as I can:

My Norcold 1095 quit working out of the blue. The display nights no longer work on the front of the fridge. Fridge isn't cooling but has power to all the places it should and both the 5amp and 3amp (glass tube) fuses are good.

I can't get the fridge to respond to anything. Power coming into the board and power on both sides of the 5amp fuse are the same, there's no voltage drop. There is an intermittent clicking coming from the power circuit board about every 45 seconds like a small relay is turning off and on. I purchased and swapped out the Power Circuit board with a new one, only to have it do the exact same thing. I pulled the Display off the front of the fridge and check the voltage there and it's the same as on the power board at the fuse.

It's not a 1200 so it doesn't have the recall, I'm super stumped at this point, surely someone else has seen this issue? Thanks in advance all.

--Rich
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2020, 02:49 PM   #2

What IS the voltage at the control board? If it's too low, it will act like this.

Another thing that will cause it is poor connections to power, if the connectors aren't nice and tight, it could be trying to turn on the electric element which is a large load and if the voltage drops, the relay drops out.

Also, are you on shore power? If yes, does the refer outlet have 120 volts on it?

So make sure ALL the connections to the control board are tight, not wobbly at all, and that the voltages are correct, not 60 volts AC or 9 volts DC.

One thing that happens is that often the refer's AC supply is on the bathrooms GFI, so check that.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 02:53 PM   #3

Jim, thanks so much!

I'll tighten the all the connections real quick and test again. I'll also check the bathroom GFI. I've tried plugged in (Shore power) and battery only.

When not on Shore I have 12.6 at the 5amp fuse:
When on Shore I have 14.3 at the fuse:

Both of those stay consistent everywhere I touch:

--Rich
Old 11-24-2020, 03:11 PM   #4

Stay on shore power during testing. Find those two wires that go into the chimney and follow them back to the control board and measure to see if there is 120 volts AC there. If there is, and the chimney is NOT getting hot, that points to a bad element. I don't recall if any of the Norcolds would auto switch to gas if the element is open circuit but supplied with power (trivial design, they could if they wanted) so the 'clicking' you are describing hints that it's the gas circuit AND the electric element that are both on the fritz so try to analyse them separately.

But there must be 12 volt or more AND A GOOD GROUND going to the control board in either case.

Maybe have a friend or neighbor turn on the refer for you and try to localize that clicking. Is it trying to spark maybe?

You have a new control board so doubtful the relay is bad.

Old 11-24-2020, 03:34 PM   #5

Made sure all the connections were tight, same issue.

The clicking isn't the ignitor, it makes a different noise, the noise I'm hearing is coming from the circuit power board. It will just keep doing it if I don't shut the power off.

Would a bad element cause the front panel on the fridge not to light up? It's dark, with no readouts on it. But if I hit the power button, a clicking on the board occurs, but nothing happens..... so odd.
Old 11-24-2020, 04:51 PM   #6

Update:
I unplugged the coach from shore, and turned all power off. Let it sit 5 min and turned everything back on. I now have a lit fridge display but it's flashing "no" even tho everything appears to be working. If I put it on LP, it lights and runs, if I put it on AC it appears to run. Any idea what's happening?
Old 11-24-2020, 11:28 PM   #7

No idea. One of those situations where I'd have to look at it.

Old 11-24-2020, 11:46 PM   #8

Service Manual with specs, troubleshooting, power requirements, wiring etc
https://norcold.com/wp-content/uploa...52C_091407.pdf
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 08:55 AM   #9

Thanks Guys,

At this point I think the only other part I can replace is the display board. I'll order one and see if it corrects what it's doing. I'll make sure to post back the results next week when I have it.

--Rich
Old 11-25-2020, 09:22 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Am I to understand it. It works under LP, but does no under 120V AC?

Is so have you tested the he as heating element?
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:18 AM   #11

It works on both now that the display is lit. It is flashing tho so it's getting replaced.

Prior to the display showing signs of life, it wouldn't do anything but make a clicking noise on the power board. Fans wouldn't run LP wouldn't try to light, nothing.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:10 PM   #12

Have you accessed the 'Diagnostic Mode' and checked for 'stored faults'
Screen 4/5?

AC/DC inputs/outputs...Screen 7/8/9/0?

What is flashing on the Display?
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:55 AM   #13

As mentioned "no" lower case is flashing. nothing after it, just "no".

The diag screen modes aren't working which is why I think the Optic board is bad. The board that was sent yesterday wasn't the correct one, I should have the right one on Saturday. I'll post back once it's corrected.

--Rich
Old 01-17-2021, 09:26 PM   #14

Long time getting back. I've tried 3 power board kits from norcold off Amazon. Crazy thing, they all behaved different (power boards with optic boards). After being fet up, I decided to try just the power board from another vendor and poof, the fridge works like a champ. I read other comments about the boards on amazon being junk, hard to believe, glad I didn't replace the whole unit like I was going too.

Tags
norcold