Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2014, 12:17 PM   #1

Norcold 1200

Hi everyone! My Norcold 1200 frig stays somewhere in the high 40's to 50's degree area, not good. My freezer is solid and makes good ice. My gaskets are good and my 120v is fine. I'm thinking it might be a simple fix, maybe the thermistor possibly? Any help will be very much appreciated...
Caseysplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2014, 12:20 PM   #2

Freeze a jug of water and keep it in the fridge part. Also can check thermistor for connection and move it up the fin it is on.
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:27 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You can remove or unplug the thermistor completely. Let it run all day and see how cold it will get. Without the thermistor - it will get as cold as it can possibly get.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:01 PM   #4

Thanks for the quick replies!
Could the 12vdc fans be a culprit as well? How about a blocked vent? Just brainstorming.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:08 PM   #5
Community Administrator

I had the same symptoms when both of my fans blew.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:39 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseysplace
Thanks for the quick replies!
Could the 12vdc fans be a culprit as well? How about a blocked vent? Just brainstorming.
As Cliff said - yep... But since you can usually hear the fans - assumed you would have mentioned that...
Old 05-19-2014, 05:45 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You have read this sticky above that covers what can go wrong with your Norcold ?
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:34 PM   #8

These Fridges are very sensitive to the outside air temps. I operate in Lake Havasu City, AZ with the fridge side of the RV in the sun all day. Not Good. Last year I experienced your same symptoms which led me to the following:

Added 3 additional fans on the exterior just below the roof vent. Would have liked to wire them to a T Stat control however it appeared I would have to pull the fridge to do that so I wired them to a toggle switch.

This year I began experiencing issues when running on LP. It would work fine for a while and then simply shut off. I replaced the sensor igniter which did not solve this issue however it was the least expensive part to start with.

Since, I have replaced the solenoid gas valve and the control board. Hoping this cures my issues. Unfortunately I only use the RV a couple of weekends out of the month so I haven't been able to report whether these repairs have solved my problem.

I do also use the small computer fans wired to the light in the interior of the fridge and can report that this does help quite a bit. In the end I would offer that if all else appears to be working properly I would think the temp issue is due to the high ambient air temps and doing whatever you can to cool the exterior of the cooling unit - whether adding fans or shade may help you.

Personally I believe that the cooling units on these 1200 series fridges are just not large enough to do the job in hotter temperatures and climates.

Good Luck.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:22 AM   #9

After checking the roof vent, 12vdc fans which seemed to be fine I disconnected the thermistor inside the fridge. At first I thought the disconnection was made at the lower board but found it had a quick disconnect harness right inside the door by the light. Ran all night and will check temp today.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:54 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
After checking the roof vent, 12vdc fans which seemed to be fine I disconnected the thermistor inside the fridge. At first I thought the disconnection was made at the lower board but found it had a quick disconnect harness right inside the door by the light. Ran all night and will check temp today.
Sorry - should have mentioned that inside location - but yep - follow the wire from thermistor back to the light and unplug. If you're on electric - it should cool down fairly quickly since it's already "cold" - let us know it goes.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:13 AM   #11

Hope that solves it for you.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:11 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kschoon1
Hope that solves it for you.
That may isolate a problem but won't fix it.
But if it gets cold they will at least know it will cool down.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:29 AM   #13

Problem solved, the thermistor was the problem, replaced! Thanks everyone for the help..
Old 05-22-2014, 08:36 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Problem solved, the thermistor was the problem, replaced! Thanks everyone for the help..
Whoo Hooo!
Have a cold one on us!

Tags
norcold