Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2022, 09:38 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
NorCold 1200 Door Gaskets Replacement

In my continuing effort to obtain the coldest possible operating temperatures from this beast (Model No. 1200LRIMSSD, original to coach), I want to replace the rubber gaskets on all four doors (but particularly the two lower doors for the refrigerator component) which are deteriorating with age and use. My RV servicer says that their research indicates you can only get new gaskets by replacing the doors themselves, and aside from the cost of doing that, direct replacement doors for the model 1200 don't seem to be available.

Can someone point me to a site where replacement gaskets might be offered, or even doors, for the Model 1200?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2022, 04:53 PM   #2

You were advised correctly, Norcold 12XX series refrigerator door gaskets are non-replaceable.
Did you perform the dollar bill test before deciding if the gaskets are faulty? Close door on a dollar bill and gently pull it out, it it slides out easily the gasket (magnet strip inside) has lost sealing ability. If resistance is met, the gasket is OK. This must be peformed all the way around each door.

I found a work-around that solved by poor gasket sealing. First I thoroughly washed them with warm soapy water, dried them. Next I used a hair dryer on low heat to warm a short section, then gently pulled the folds apart enough to stick cotton balls in each fold to hold it apart until it cooled.
This it time consuming, but for me it worked.

Some years ago I did find some links to aftermarket gasket sets that might work, but they would have to be glued on after the OEM gasket was cut away from the door. I did't have the brass to do that, so that's how I arrived at the aforementioned process.

Old Norcold 12xx door seal thread: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/sour...ls-412632.html

Universal door gasket sections: https://www.amazon.com/SUPCO-GIDDS-6...ther+stripping
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 05:32 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Motorhome%20/Source%20For%20Refrigerator%20Door%20Seals%20-%20iRV2%20Forums.html

This is from a previous posting on this Forum concerning the door seals for the older style refrigerators.
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 11:02 PM   #4

I recall buying some after-market fridge door seals on eBay a few years back. I don't recall the seller but I would start there on eBay. Colaw's RV salvage might be able to point you in the right direction, too.
deprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 08:27 AM   #5

I too need Norcold gaskets.
Thanks to all that answered. I have a 2118 and their parts list shows only the whole door. Ahh, the industry. What nonsense.
https://norcold.com/wp-content/uploa...0_20200511.pdf
My previous owner somehow had the top trim piece installed upside down, compressing the gasket and leaving four gaps (two each, freezer doors).

Tags
ace, door, gas, gasket, norcold, replace, replacement