Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2011, 11:39 PM   #1

Norcold 1200 fix?

Its a little late to ask this question, but has anyone got agood fix on there norcold 1200? I am totally stumped at this time, replaced the lower board, nothing, called norcold and was treated to the rath of one of their stupervisers. I am tired of waiting two weeks for an RV repair shop to get you in if we have a cancellation, then they charge up to $100.00 just to tell you they have to order parts that may or may not be the fix. Two weeks later you call to find out the parts haven't come in yet. when they do come in you'll find the cost to be at least 75% higher than they should be. O' well lets go have some fun. I feel better now!!!
genojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2011, 06:49 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
What exactly is it not doing? Will it work on electric and not on gas or vice versa.
IS YOUR COACH LEVEL and I mean DEAD LEVEL? How old is the reffer pls? Do you know how to ''Hot shot'' the unit? (run it on electricity only and eliminate all the controls) This will ''test'' the cooling unit to see if it is working or not working and it will test the two(?) electric heaters in the boiler of the coil. Is the ''freezer, freezing frost on the coil"?
With these units NOTHING HAPPENS FAST.. It usually take 8 hours to notice a difference in the temp in the unit. Do you have cooling fans on the cooling core?
DO NOT LET THESE ''SERVICE DOGS'' MESS WITH IT .. Most of the time they just ''throw parts at it till they fumble around and it starts working or you run out of money''. Most of them could not turn on a window fan with the instructions written on the body of the switch.
If you will send me your phone number and your time zone I will call you and walk you thru some simple tests that probably will find the problem and you can order the parts direct from Norcold (which is Sweedish for ''Will not cool''....lol...) and fix it yourself. Get your old control pannel if you can. odds are it is Ok the ''fixit idiots'' just guessed at the problem probably was cause they seen one do this one time before.
the charges for my services are, is, am ten cents and you must pay me the next time you see me..........

Lets bring our troops home now... ten years is enough....
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:50 AM   #3

KZ RV Club
We found the fail-safe, perfect cure. It's called a Samsung 217 French Door residential refrigerator. We got extremely tired of dealing with the Norcold 1200 series as well. There was always something wrong or another recall!!
Old 10-16-2011, 10:59 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by genojan View Post
Its a little late to ask this question, but has anyone got agood fix on there norcold 1200? I am totally stumped at this time, replaced the lower board, nothing, called norcold and was treated to the rath of one of their stupervisers. I am tired of waiting two weeks for an RV repair shop to get you in if we have a cancellation, then they charge up to $100.00 just to tell you they have to order parts that may or may not be the fix. Two weeks later you call to find out the parts haven't come in yet. when they do come in you'll find the cost to be at least 75% higher than they should be. O' well lets go have some fun. I feel better now!!!
genojan, You don't say just exactly what your problem is. While it could be something as simple as no 12 volts to the circuit board, it could be a bad cooling unit. Before you make a snap decision to replace the fridge with a new home style unit, you might want to consider replacing the Norcold cooling unit with an Amish Built cooling unit. They are built to last and don't need any of the recall fixes that Norcold is pushing.

I recently installed one of the Amish Built cooling units in my Norcold 1201 refrigerator myself. It really wasn't that difficult, and now I have a RV type refrigerator that works great and is worry free.

Watch the video I made showing the installation and if you have any questions just ask.

Good Luck,
Sammie

Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:13 AM   #5

I agree with Sammie, I and a friend have both done the Amish CU and we are both very satisfied. I did the install myself and he paid $300 in labor to have his installed professionally. We both like the option of 110 and propane.
336muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:11 PM   #6

I never had a problem untill the recall for the thermal sensor, it would run on LP but would not switch to 110, so I took it to a service center, the tech told me it was a bad lower board. I got a new one and installed as per inst. when we turned on the power the T.S. literally chattered, with the red light flashing very rapidly, this lasted about one second, then nothing. We did the by pass to the board and it froze everthing in the frig in about 2 hrs. and unit got real hot, so I shut it off.
genojan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
norcold