Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2009, 04:30 PM   #1

Norcold 1200 LIRM with a mind of its own

I just purchased a 2000 Endeavor with a Norcold 1200 LRIM refrigerator and for the last 3 weeks instead of enjoying our new motor home we have been consumed by issues with the refrigerator. It cools down very quickly compaired to our last rv, 2/34 and everything was good for about a week when we walked in and found it was not cooling. The lights on the front panel were going off, on, lp, ac, off, and so on. We shut it off and moved everthing out and after a few hours turned it back on. It cooled down, was great for about 4 days then same thing. Have had a tech from local rv place check it out and he tells me whats not wrong, but hasn't made any improvement. The fans cycle, it has 13.5 volts DC all the time and the vent is clear. When it goes through the on/off etc cycle it shuts the light out as well. It does the same thing if you run it on LP. The other funny thing is when you try to shut it off at the front, it comes back on in a few minutes. I have had to un hook the 12 volt wire to keep it from cycling. It shows no codes. I am waiting for the tech to come up with something but he is scratching his head a lot... Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Bill
bhfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2009, 07:24 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
bhfranklin, welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy this website and forums. By chance do you have two sons, Bill and Robin?
I would suggest checking the connections and control board solder joints.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:08 PM   #3

Thanks for the welcome. No on the two sons. Yes on checking the connections as far as to the control board. No on the control board solder joints. I,m not sure I should mess around much on the board with my level of expertise. I have an appointment for it Monday and hopefully they will come up with some direction.

Thanks for the response,

Bill
Old 10-31-2009, 08:15 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hello Bill,

It could be numerous things but the flucuations from one mode to the other make me think there are issues with the optical control assembly. The fuses on the power board would be a go or a no go issue. I will include some materials for yor unit in case you need them. Good Luck.

http://bec-ed.com/Bounder/1200SM.pdf

http://bec-ed.com/Bounder/1210NorcoldParts.pdf
tmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:09 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds to me like the "eyebrow" control panel is bad or perhaps the main circuit board itself. Has the tech called Norcold Tech Support?

Clearly the fridge works fine when it works at all, so this is a control circuit issue.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:59 AM   #6

Thanks for the input folks. I, with my limited experience with these things also think it is a control issue as a blown fuse is totally blown and I had checked the connections etc before calling a tech. He how ever seems to think the only way to pinpoint the problem is to do a week of testing is what he has indacated to me. I don't think he has talked to anyone at Norcold but I will ask tomorrow. Again, I would think that since It doesn't shut down properly with the control panel and it seems to just cycle through the different modes and shuts off at will it would be a control issue. Since it does not have to be hot in the back for it to have these issues I would not suspect thermo problems with switches or fans etc. But then I'm not an expert in this field, nor have I ever had an issue like this before. I am getting the feelling I may have a little expereince by the time this is over. Agian, thanks for the input. It's nice to talk to folks that seem to have a clue. I've never been to therapy but this must be what it feels like.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:36 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I have to agree with Gary on the phone call to Norcold before another minute of labor is spent on trouble shooting the problem. Someone may have damaged the optical control unit by overtightening during installation. Make sure the call is made to Norcold.

Technical Assistance
If unable to resolve technical issues using the
information provided in this manual, technical support
for service technicians is available through the

NORCOLD, INC.
Customer Service Center:

Telephone: .................................... 1-800-444-7210.
��

Fax: .............................................. 1-937-497-3183.
�� World Wide Web: ............... www.norcold.com/cda.

tmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:46 PM   #8

I took the Endeavor to the shop this am. and strongly encouraged them to call and talk to the tech people at Norcold before wasting a lot of time at $80.00 per hour. I also used some of what I've learned here at iRV2 to make it seem that I had some idea about what might be going on. It usually helps if you are not totally in the dark when talking to the people that are about to add up your bill. The service manager said that with the symptoms that I described and the information he had been provided he was looking toward the control board, after a call to Norcold. I would like to thank all of you for your valuable input and I will keep you posted on the results of this little adventure. We intend to go to St. Augustine the last week of this month and if all is well by then it will be the first actual trip with it. We loved our old Adventure but we can't wait to really hit the road with the Endeavor.

Thanks again.

Bill
Old 11-03-2009, 06:47 PM   #9

Hi All,

The tech at the RV place talked to techs at Norcold today and the problem is the circuit board in the back. The cure is to replace that board with an upgrade board that causes them to replace the eyebrow board and panel in the front. It looks like the warranty policy I purchased when I bought the motor home will take care of that as well as a twitchy air pressure gauge on the dash board. I will advise in a few days.

Bill
Old 11-04-2009, 03:44 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Glad to hear they have found the root of the problem and will have it corrected soon. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:59 PM   #11

Just wanted to update on the refrierator. They replaced the rear circut board and front eybrow panel and the frige has been cold and consistent for over a week now. We head to St. Augistine on Saturday and hope to chill out. Thanks for the input.

Bill
Old 11-16-2009, 04:32 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
You are welcome. Enjoy, St Augustine!